Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I've been filling in consultation documents for years: airspace grabs, airfield closures, restricted use on airfields, house building on airfields - all for what exactly? None of them had favourable outcomes and ended up closed and built on - do they listen to anything we say? Appears not, but I will still provide feedback and then watch Coventry being built on. But the interesting part in all this is that it comes under the 'green revolution' and 'green targets' are citied in UK Law . Sadly, airfields are still being targeted as prime building sites, yet when you want to create one and go through planning, you are stopped in your tracks, - mostly sighting all sorts of caveats to do with birds/trees/local NIMBY's and what have you - these never come under scrutiny when they what to build a mega/giga/metal block which has questionable 'green credentials'. Who knows what our GA industry/hobby is going to look like within10 years - decimated I shouldn't wonder and back to horses and carts .

R&T
Bathman, T6Harvard, JodelDavo and 4 others liked this
By CloudHound
On his first visit to the Nissan UK Research facility at Cranfield the Japanese boss bemoaned the fact he had to get in a coach for the trip up to Sunderland as there wasn't a nearby airport he could fly to.

It was very tactfully pointed out that the company had built on the airport at Usworth.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Destroying GA infrastructure in support of the Betamax equivalent of electric vehicle technology is simply insane. There’s also the issues of waste management pollution and the like
flighty tyke liked this
By Rob P
johnm wrote:Destroying GA infrastructure in support of the Betamax equivalent of electric vehicle technology

What's your view on the VHS equivalent John?

Rob
By Bathman
Fortunately we could still use 07/25 and 17/35 grass.

Oh no were they not built on to raise funds to develop the rest of the airport.

This is yet another hook, line and sinker job.

Nottingham next
Last edited by Bathman on Wed May 12, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
Rob P wrote:
johnm wrote:Destroying GA infrastructure in support of the Betamax equivalent of electric vehicle technology

What's your view on the VHS equivalent John?

Rob

I think we'll see some kind of enhanced fuel cell. I don't see how conventional battery technology is going to be sustainable at automotive scale.....Hybrid is worse than ICE from an environmental perspective so something has to happen........
townleyc liked this
By skydriller
I think @johnm is right. Look around at the vehicles on the roads and think about how much energy that is thats being consumed. There is way more to this than "build electric cars and big battery factories" which I just dont think that the "green agenda" governments have thought through...but I guess we will see eventually.
By johnm
At the risk of entering politics, one of the major issues we face is the fact that I can't remember the last time I saw a government policy thought through......
SteveN, terrybarr liked this
By Rob P
johnm wrote:
I think we'll see some kind of enhanced fuel cell. I don't see how conventional battery technology is going to be sustainable at automotive scale

You are quite possibly right, but such enhancement does not exist yet and is running out of time to arrive before the death of ICE.

This reminds me of the gentleman who contacted the Air Ministry at the start of WW2 saying he had the perfect defence to the prospect of Luftwaffe air raids.

He was granted a meeting and explained that a powerful magnetic ray would render aircraft engines inoperable. Asked to show his designs and calculations he looked a little nonplussed, shook his head and replied "I've given you the answer, I'll leave the details to you"

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
@Rob P My point is that sacrificing long term effective GA infrastructure for what is a relatively short term fix for electric vehicles makes no sense. The gigafactory needs go somewhere else where its impact is more in keeping with its relative importance.

South Wales or the North of England would have suitable sites and it would then contribute to the much vaunted "levelling up " discussion and be consistent with the "Best place in the world for GA" policy.

If I go further I will undoubtedly trip over the politics line.........
Stampe, Kemble Pitts liked this