Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
And the point was well made that there must be an industrial site nearby on which one could build the factory.

The councillor interviewed made much of the 4000 jobs it will create but seemed to indicate the airport was the only place.

However a derelict site would still create the jobs without losing vital infrastructure and the highly skilled jobs associated with it.
By kanga
My gist:

BBC Midlands correspondent voiceover, after a bit about airport history with film clips to illustrate:

A. Announcements about gigafactory did not mention that it would mean closing the airport

B. Opponents have pointed out that once change of use from airport to industrial had been approved, gigafactory plans could fall through and the site might become covered in warehouses

Representatives of two aeronautical engineering businesses filmed at the airport: we are here, already providing jobs, and have invested heavily and recently. We'd have to move or close.

One adds: once a runway is gone it's gone for ever. There are plenty of other places including nearby where one could build it

Councillor supporting project: these are the sorts of forward looking jobs the city needs

Reasonably fair and balanced, I thought
By Aerotech Flyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In light of a new thread which is encouraging visitors to fly in to Coventry on Saturday 2nd Oct and show support to keep the airport open, please also take the time to raise an objection against the proposed planning proposal to build on the airport by using the link here: https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov ... CAPR_89375
Thank you
StratoTramp liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
kanga wrote:There are plenty of other places including nearby where one could build it

We've been through this with Sheffield City. Someone on this forum said about the jobs created by building industrial units...and I pointed out it would create the same number of jobs if they were built on the field next door.
kanga, StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
Put mine in, Did the same for Dover (well supporting that time) a few weeks back.

Maybe we can all go glue ourselves to the runway... Oh WAIT that would be COMPLETLY counter productive and target the wrong people. :lol:

Hopefully more people will write with the link being the the latest issue of the magazine.
Aerotech Flyer liked this
By Aerotech Flyer
Thanks to all who have been putting their objections into the Warwick District Council website supporting Coventry to remain an airport.
Today after much liaison and consultation, the CAA have decided quite rightly in our opinion not to remain impartial, but to formally object to the proposed planning proposal to close the airport!
The letter is on the WDC portal along with yours to see and finally adds substance to the DfT's claims to make the UK the best place for GA and to fight against property speculation at our vital airfields. We now have the awareness of our Aviation and Transport ministers on this case and surely only a rampant abuse of money and behind the scenes manipulation by the power brokers can thwart our momentum.
Well done CAA for realising that this really is the thin blue line, the last stand at Coventry's barricades before the rest of our airfields are targeted next!
Keep passing on the word for support and hopefully we will try and arrange another day to fly into EGBE when weather is more sunny! :thumleft:
johnm, Paul_Sengupta, StratoTramp and 6 others liked this
Wow! That CAA objection is superbly written. What a contrast with the CAA attitude displayed only a few weeks ago at Sywell, when a representative said to me that "It was nothing to do with them".

That light at the end of the tunnel might still be an oncoming train, but it seems to me that strings are being pulled. Local councillors who've chosen to participate in the "Battery Factory" fantasy might do well to change horses before their careers follow the supposed batteries into oblivion.

And above all, respect to Aerotech Flyer who has chosen to show leadership when others were ready to throw in the towel.
StratoTramp, James Chan, Jonzarno and 3 others liked this
By StratoTramp
David Viewing wrote:Wow! That CAA objection is superbly written. What a contrast with the CAA attitude displayed only a few weeks ago at Sywell, when a representative said to me that "It was nothing to do with them".

I wrote the AA Team a short thank you letter, credit where credit is due. It's nice to think I might have somewhere to land in future :thumleft:
20 West liked this
By 20 West
A public thank you to the CAA AA team who engaged, listened and most importantly took positive action.

Nobody underestimates the challenges ahead, but this is certainly a good start.
By johnm
I see that objections are now quoting govt planning policy and guidance that's the only way we stand a chance. If planners and inspectors can be convinced the proposals are out of step they will fail. Efforts then need to be made to develop profitable activities around the periphery which would be wholly consistent with policy and guidance.....
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, 20 West liked this
By kanga
Artist's impressions of proposed gigafactory, as part of story within BBC local news stream, with implication that West Midlands Mayor supports the project (Coventry lies within the WM Combined Authority area, but I didn't think that the airport itself does) :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engl ... type=share

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experienc ... 54c614.png

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experienc ... 0dc89c.png

.. with text:

"Artist's impressions released of gigafactory plan

Artist's impressions have been released of plans for a gigafactory on the site of Coventry Airport.

Plans were submitted earlier this year

for the plant which, if approved, will become the UK’s largest single industrial facility, covering the same area as 74 full-size football pitches

Gigafactories are built to create electric car batteries.
Securing the factory could create thousands of jobs and attract up to £2bn of investment to the region, the city council has said.

Andy Street, West Midlands Mayor, said: “From securing the future of our region’s automotive industry and the huge economic and job creation that would bring, to helping protect our planet from the climate change emergency, a West Midlands Gigafactory would be a complete game-changer for our region – and we are making it happen.

“By submitting our planning application earlier this year, and now answering the difficult question around power supply and renewable energy, we are doing what we can to be able to get the site operational ASAP once a commercial negotiation between supplier and customer concludes." "