Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does anybody have a copy of the (now expired) General Exemptions for Permit/homebuilt aircraft to visit Jersey and Guernsey/Alderney that they could send me by PM or email (Or link to on here)?

(These are the documents that were previously provided at the now-dead links at the foot of page 5 of Tech Leaflet 2.08)

Because these are now expired, there is now a necessity for each individual aircraft to apply for an exemption, and I have been in correspondence with the Channel Islands Directorate of Civil Aviation to ask if they would consider or intend to re-issue the General Exemptions.

Because of a change in personnel, it seems that the background history may have been lost, and they may not be able to apply within the CI to re-issue them. I am trying to understand it with the aim - maybe! - of helping out.

Any help, however small, with the history behind the original derogation would also be appreciated.

email is davidwhite894 [at] gmail [dot] com

Thanks a lot.

(Request also placed on the LAA forum)
By Dave W
The French are unfortunately out-of-date there, given correspondence I have had with CIDCA.

Non-Jersey registered aircraft, wishing to operate in the Channel Islands Airspace, need to have a Certificate of Airworthiness in place. Where a CofA is not available, the DCA can provide an exemption to operate in the Airspace, upon receipt of a valid Permit to Fly. Blanket derogations are not something I’m familiar with, and I can find no policy to such derogations, so each application will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
By patowalker
Somebody ought to advise the DGAC:

3-2.4 REPEAL of the exemptions listed below in Jersey and Guernsey
respectively.
March 15th
, 2016
2012/100 – ECAC registered home built aircraft
2012/101 – UK Permit to Fly Aircraft
2012/102 – Irish Permit to Fly Aircraft
2012/103 – French Permit to Fly Aircraft
2012/104 – NPPL/LAPL Exemption
2012/107 – IMC/IR(R) Rating General Permission
2014/105 – IMC/IR
By virtue of publication of the Aviation Journal, these instruments are
hereby repealed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... X0wyMFZ6m1 Page36
By Dave W
Good call, thank you; somebody else off-forum has also suggested contacting Alan and has facilitated that - along with a linkup with CI AOPA and Jersey Aero Club (who have already been giving me good advice).

I haven't yet contacted the Guernsey DCA, who also had a General Exemption. They may be better placed to help with the historic basis for the Exemptions and hopefully to provide a copy of the original document. I plan to write to them very soon and ask.
AlanM, CaptChaos liked this
Hi @Dave W - I just read the work email trail with (another) Dave. It is not an ideal situation for you all.

It is definitely not helped by the change in leadership at DCA level with Dominic’s post being split in to two Acting DCAs - one for each Bailiwick. Both are busy and as you said in your email, working almost entirely on their own with no support.

From an ATC Point of View - we would not refuse you entry to the CTR Unless you were specifically banned from the Channel Islands. We have no way of knowing if you are on a permit. We have absolutely no apetite to start policing that either. It is between the pilot and the authorities.

I hope that you can get a resolution from DCAs.
Dave W liked this
patowalker wrote:Whose airspace is it anyway? :D

It belongs to La France (Brest ACC / DGAC). Delegated to Jersey ATCC during our notified hours and additionally for Medevac aircraft but reverts back to Rennes Cotentin sector outside of those times (134.2 - the old Brest FIR freq)

It is what makes the Brexit issue for us a pain - 89% of our airspace is in The French FIR and 11% in the London FIR.
By patowalker
Dave W wrote:.
I haven't yet contacted the Guernsey DCA, who also had a General Exemption. They may be better placed to help with the historic basis for the Exemptions and hopefully to provide a copy of the original document. I plan to write to them very soon and ask.

The original Guernsey document is also here https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/voler-letranger
By patowalker
I am beginning to think that the repeal of the original exemptions was intended to be followed by extending them to include the historical aircraft in the second ECAC recommendation, as done by the CAA. They probably got sidetracked and forgot about it.

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/ ... -aircraft/

Edit: Forget it. That doesn't explain why exemptions 2012/101 to 105 and 107 were repealed. They were obviously having a bad day. :D
Dave W liked this