Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Marioair gets to the issue - what is the OP trying to achieve? Self-taught IF? there be dragons. Seeing how the instruments work? do it on a sim.

As others have advised, whatever the airspace classification, this is something you should do with a suitably qualified instructor if you want to learn to do it properly.
I thought I'd keep the question simple by sticking to the legal/technical question only, but then there are no simple questions in aviation, are there!

I'm a lapsed PPL/IR MEP, with several years of regular IFR flying throughout Europe. My home base was a quiet international airport in class D airspace. I would regularly file IFR and fly SID - airways - STAR- IAP, even in good VMC, because I enjoyed it, because it was, frankly, easier, and to stay in practise for when I needed it. I always enjoyed flying IFR, particularly in real IMC, and was able to develop my skills to the point where I could do this well, and remain fully relaxed. Having also gone through the process of being a nervous newbie, completely maxed out, and way 'behind' the aeroplane, I am fully able to appreciate the difference.

The question occurred to me, with all my ratings having lapsed, that I might be able to re-engage with my old skills, by practising an approach in good VMC. Since most of my flying was done with a current IR, the question of being able to accept an IFR clearance was never an issue, and I realised I didn't know if you could fly a procedure with a VFR clearance.

I certainly take the point about maintaining a good lookout, but one can make a reasonable judgement based on all the individual circumstances.

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated :D
Flyin'Dutch', Ben K and 1 others liked this
I would just add that while this doesn’t apply to the O/P, I am also not convinced about all this chat about bad habits. I think if you flew a couple of ILSs and then did a flight with an instructor to see how to put them together you may well learn more. It’s often the realisation there is a better way that is revealing, and its not like golf where hitting a 100 bad shots makes it difficult to change your technique.
The short answer is IAP is not part of IFR FPL or IFR clearance, unlike en-route (is this airways??), departure and arrivals...ATC have leeway to offer you one if they like you (VFR or IFR) even without IFR clearance or IFR flight plan, if it's VMC, you can get cleared to fly ILS VFR the same way as you get cleared to fly visual approach/circle/circuits under IFR !

When it gets complicated is in controlled airspace, VFR in Class D, you will be on own navigation & separation, in theory ATC should not give VFR separation or vectors, if they do then it's odd, maybe ask them to clarify if VFR can get vectors or separation for ILS? they can leave you roam free and may ask you to report when you are done with the job :lol:

In Class G with ATC, you don't need clearance or flight plan to fly VFR or IFR outside ATZ, flying ILS VFR is no different than skipping the VFR overhead join, you can even clear yourself VFR/IFR if it's your own IAP outside ATZ but this may fall under poor airmanship rather than legal...
MattL wrote:I doubt any Class D ATC ops manual would allow you to fly an IAP on a VFR clearance due to the separation responsibility mess it would create the controller. You certainly couldn’t take vectors.

Southend will ask you if you are going to be flying the approach VFR or IFR and will provide you vectors even if you reply VFR (the only thing that seems to change is that if you are flying VFR they will make sure you are visual with any conflicting traffic and then provide vectors that are close to it (fly heading XXX maintain your own separation from the previously mentioned traffic), while if IFR they will just vector you around it - or tell the traffic to stay out of the way).
ATC giving vectors to VFR traffic are doing it at their own risk, it's nowhere a standard SOP,

It depends on the airport and class of airspace.

It's fairly common in some places abroad if one is high enough and the weather is good enough. One can't accurately navigate to some ground feature VRP by looking out the window if you're transiting at 9,000ft. :)

The pilot just needs to tell ATC early enough if those vectors are going take them into cloud.
Last edited by James Chan on Mon May 10, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMCR wrote:Ibra I take your point but are we moving towards such a risk adverse environment that we have all become scared of our own shadow? Risk giving vectors in VMC it seems a little extreme to me.

It's rather the opposite, vectoring is mainly about roles & responsabilities between PIC and ATC for traffic & terrain separation, if PIC is asking for vectors or ATC offering them in IMC to avoid traffic & separation that seems like a very valid reason to me, if PIC is asking vectors to navigate and find LOC signal or avoid terrain, I think it's PIC who is more risk averse and afraid of his shadow, especially in VMC :lol:

Assuming there is no traffic conflict why would even an IR pilot flying IFR with full equipement needs ATC vectors to fly an ILS in IMC? can't they just get self positioned themsleves or find procedural entry or dme arc on their owm (assuming they know about fake slopes, minimum safe altitude and are on top of their lateral/vertical navigation)

Given that I don't understand why an IFR pilot would need any of that? I would not understand why PPL flying VFR would need vectors to fly an ILS in VMC? what is the concern not being able to find runway centerline or afraid of inadvert terrain collision? or afraid to lose VFR-IFR traffic separation?