Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:The crystal clear answer was given - yes it can be done, but needs a safety pilot.

Yes I get that, it's legal with safety pilot, but I asked what one is supposed to do on go-around with no further clearance? basically his lost comm procedure (or something useful to know if tower is watching cricket :D ), or follow what his safety pilot say?
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I'd have thought that was obvious to anybody.

If genuinely IFR, follow the IFR missed approach procedure.

If VFR, follow the VFR go-around procedure, which most times and places is go-around into the visual circuit.

G

So it has to be VFR/IFR landing in the place you are using to practice ILS? say Southend or Bournemouth, but it's not the destination in the "pass your message abbreviated FPL"?

Southend AIP lost comms seems to deal with VFR/IFR inbound and departing aircrafts, I think in OP question it's fair to say he is "a departing aircarft"?

At Southend, in VMC, IFR or VFR, I may join circuit and land (obviously one will need to fix radio or buy/install hand-held to takeoff) but if it looks busy I will just leave CAS by nearest exit, remain OCAS and land somewhere with no ATC and call them by phone, surely I am not going for procedural ILS to land in VMC with no EAT? for ILS go-around, they seem to clear that up way before clearance to intercept the localiser, it's usually depart VFR to North Weald not above 1500ft, even starting ILS IFR

At Gatwick, I will think twice about Signature fee for landing, I did their PAR & ILS in VMC last year (as Southend could not accomodate), my plan was to leave airspace and fly back to North Weald OCAS, join circuit and land if ever my radio goes off

Last edited by Ibra on Tue May 11, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Tango wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I'd have thought that was obvious to anybody.

Actually, what should be really obvious, is to just agree the plan with ATC beforehand of what both they and you would like to do.

Rocket science it ain’t.

Indeed and it seems their plan after go-around from ILS practice in VMC is for the aircraft to leave airspace VFR, they rarely expect one to land? or go IFR after in VMC unless he has another FPL?

With one exception, maybe have another ILS/IAP with no radio if that what was agreed, say 2 slots after 1st go-around...
riverrock wrote:If cleared for the approach, then I'd expect to execute a miss approach as per the approach chart, squawking 7600.
I'd then return, using local lost comms procedure VFR to land if ATC if available, looking for the green light from the tower.

So to confirm, VFR but on the ILS you would say (at Jersey) brief to fly the standard IFR MA - climb to Altitude 3000ft/turn on to 180 degrees.....
I will try asking ATC next time on lost comms when PPR for ILS practice in VMC, they will advise what work best for them :thumleft:

Hopefully, @AlanM is not expecting us to land after lost comms on sunny days when inbound from UK/France to practice Jersey ILS, spending 14 days of quaratine with an examiner (maybe he is exempt for his job but not me?) in a hotel is a fail and back to 10h in ATO to get course completion certificate before revalidation :lol:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Ibra wrote:I am sure the OP will appreciate a crystal clear answer

The crystal clear answer was given - yes it can be done, but needs a safety pilot.

The requirement for a safety observer (and it was an observer) when practising approaches in VMC disappeared with SERA. A safety pilot was and still is required if simulating instrument flight (i.e. hood, screens or foggles).
Ibra wrote:I will try asking ATC next time on lost comms when PPR for ILS practice in VMC, they will advise what work best for them :thumleft:

Hopefully, @AlanM is not expecting us to land after lost comms on sunny days when inbound from UK/France to practice Jersey ILS, spending 14 days of quaratine with an examiner (maybe he is exempt for his job but not me?) in a hotel is a fail and back to 10h in ATO to get course completion certificate before revalidation :lol:

I have zero expectations!!!

We had an RT failure 20nm NW of GUR last week, VFR in to Jersey..... that landed with no RT and included a runway change!

Nothing has ever surprised me in Radio Failures.
Ibra liked this
An acquaintance was doing his IR(r) test last week with a radar vectored ILS into Bournemouth. For an unexplained reason, he turned the volume down on the radio part way through the procedure, and didn’t twig until ‘half way to Exeter’. Meanwhile, Bournemouth had instigated ‘IFR lost comms’ procedures, including having to put a commercial in the hold, so they were none too pleased when the aircraft eventually came back on frequency, having realised that there hadn’t been any comms for a while and finding the cause.

Iceman 8)