Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyingkeyboard
Hi all,

Whilst I'm waiting for the PPL to drop through the letterbox, I'm contemplating what I want to do and where I want to fly to.

I'll be speaking to my CFI for some suggestions/guidance, however in the meantime I thought I'd put the feelers out to see what other forumites did when they got their PPL.

Ultimately I'm looking at taking the commercial route, so I don't want to spend the next X hours burning holes in the same local area.

Ideas so far:

Visit the airfields I flew to on my QXC.
Fly to Caernarfon (ideally over Snowdon if conditions permit).
Fly to the Isle of Wight (promised the wife this for over a year).
Fly to an airfield on the east coast of England.
Find an airfield that allows camping and stay overnight.
Fly to somewhere like Duxford where there is a museum to visit.
Night rating this coming autumn/winter.

I'm aiming to fly 4-5 hours a month and I'll be based at Kemble if that helps. Grateful for your thoughts.
By PA28
Well done getting your PPL. Duxford is a fun day out, as is Old Warden. Sandown is great, just a short taxi drive to the pier. Whitecliff bay is just a short walk from Bembridge(but dogs are not allowed on the beach there).

Once you have gained some experience an overnight stay at Glenforsa on the Isle of Mull is great. The hotel is next to the strip. Plockton is also amazing. The Scilly Isles are also really good but not on a Sunday( Airport closed).
Flyingkeyboard liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Scilly Isles allows departures on a Sunday in an afternoon window, subject to you having provided insurance details. The airfield will be unmanned and unlicensed. There was a NOTAM that they had stopped this during the lockdown but this NOTAM has now gone so check with the airfield.

Iceman 8)
Rob P, PA28 liked this
By Iceman
Challenge yourself on every flight to go somewhere that you haven’t been before. After 26 years of flying, I am still visiting UK airports to which I haven’t been before and still feel that there are many that I haven’t yet visited. As soon as the Channel Islands and mainland Europe open up, widen your horizons.

Iceman 8)
By Rob P
Iceman wrote: After 26 years of flying, I am still visiting UK airports to which I haven’t been before

Largely because the ones you have been to won't allow you back?

Rob P
Sooty25 liked this
By Rob P
Well Amiens is definitely one you'd be ill advised to return to. The French have long memories :shock:

Rob P
By Iceman
It wasn’t my fault, how was I to know that she’d fall off the bar stall unconscious :lol: :shock:!

I can think of a very good reason to return to St. Omer though :P :bounce:.

Iceman 8)
By Rob P
Ah... Yes.

Amandine

Rob P
By IMCR
I would recommend Bembridge over Sanddown, only because there is more of interest within walking distance. Walk up to the windmill and then maybe a crab or lobster lunch at the Best Dressed Crab in Bembridge Harbour.

Duxford is always worth a visit, and another. Perfect for a few hours.

When the time is right, going foreign is always very satisfying. Whatever people may say L2K is the destination of choice for that first trip. Unless of course you are happy for a longer crossing in which case any of the CIs, albiet maybe not Alderney first up.

As others have said if you arent already, get yourself into a good small group or budy up with another pilot at the flying club with lots of hours.

The greatest risk is not taking on longer trips, you get bored, or dont have the confidence to go further afield, and quickly join the ranks of those who got their PPL, but retired from flying within a few years (or less).

Most importantly, there is a wealth of knowledge right here, just ask away. For me even early on, flying from A to B for the sake, or the breakfast, seemed a waste of having an aircraft, but we are all different. If you are like me you will find here people who can say go here, walk out the airport and visit x, y or z, for a few hours and make it a day out. Many a time I have gone to Cambridge, hopped on the bus, 15 mins into town, with a picnic and a punt up the Cam. what a great day out when the sun is shining.

Fair winds, and happy flying.
By Rob P
IMCR wrote:... or budy up with another pilot at the flying club with lots of hours.

My experience was buddying with a ppl at the same stage of his flying life as I was at.

It worked well, we learned together, making mistakes, but becoming friends to this day.

Rob P
Iceman, Hazel C liked this
By Lefty
Flying on your own soon becomes boring. Find some flying buddies at your base airfield and do some shared trips.
Perhaps someone at your airfield organises regular fly outs that you can join in on. At Waltham, we have a regular Flyout every Friday afternoon and every Saturday specifically to create a framework to encourage new PPL’s to expand thier experience in company with, and with the support of other PPL’s.

Where are you based? Maybe someone on here flies from the same field and will introduce you to what is going on.
Rob P liked this
By IMCR
Yes, I would agree with someone around your experience level, but still add flying with a pilot with a lot of experience at least sometimes is one of the best ways of safely developing your skills and confidence.
Rob P, Hazel C liked this
By Iceman
@Flyingkeyboard, I don’t know on which type you learnt, but as well as going places, be sure to start looking at different aircraft types, e.g., 4-seater, eventually moving on to complex aircraft types as a precursor to your commercial training. A faster aircraft may offer you a better £/mile and may be better experience in terms of hour building towards your eventual goal. Consider an IR(r) as a means of getting the required experience to hour build more quickly in the UK and practise the art of instrument flying in order to shorten your eventual IR course.

Iceman 8)