Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
SteakAndAle wrote:.. Currently planning to get a pair of cheap folding bikes that will fit in baggage compartment or back seats...

Staverton has (in normal times, infrequent, possibly hourly) 'bus service right into the airport (stop by Terminal; 'A' route, IIRC; to/from Cheltenham). Within 10 minutes' walk is a stop for a much more frequent and speedy service (limited stop; '94' route; to/from Gloucester and Cheltenham). Also, in MP3's day as gaffer, there were hire bikes available; I don't know if there still are.
By Ibra
SteakAndAle wrote:I'm also the holder of a very wet PPL (not even that - I'm watching for the postman this week!)

Planning all the trips I'd like to do, mostly with the missus who is very keen.

1) Getting around at the destination: given that airfields are often a little isolated, and don't come with free cars like in the US, would be nice to have an alternative to lots of taxis especially on day trips. Currently planning to get a pair of cheap folding bikes that will fit in baggage compartment or back seats. Anyone have any other ideas?

2) Flying IMC with passengers: I'm aiming to do my IR(R) soon to give more flexibility on longer trips, as well as for the safety aspect. I wouldn't deliberately plan a long leg in the soup, but obviously it could happen. How do you find passengers deal with this - do they find it disconcerting/unpleasant?

You can buy folding bikes but meanwhile you can rent them for the day or better things like xiaomi scooters for two days (fatllama.com), you can make your mind later, but there are few places where you are at the destination after landing...

For IMC best to keep it on climbs in outbound leg & maybe descents on return leg and always aim to be VMC on top which is more comfortable for pax

Personally, when flying for pleasure, destination needs good weather to be worth a visit, nothing beats feeling of escaping **** weather to go somewhere sunny with pax !

Also the main problem is not crusing in smooth white background but turbulences, winds or diversion hassle that come with it, better leave that sort of mesirable days flying for solo practices or flying with other pilots...

You will find that pax hates windy/gusty days or cruise in fluffy cumulus midday but they are happy to fly on top, in layered stratus and better smooth late evenings :thumleft:
Rob P, bladerunner911 liked this
By Hazel C
Rob P wrote:
IMCR wrote:... or budy up with another pilot at the flying club with lots of hours.

My experience was buddying with a ppl at the same stage of his flying life as I was at.

It worked well, we learned together, making mistakes, but becoming friends to this day.

Rob P

I love flying with experienced pilot friends, and there are three friends at the club who are more experienced than me who I often fly with. It broadens my knowledge and its all about continuous learning. I also love flying with non-pilot friends and sharing the privileges' that we all enjoy as pilots. Seeing big smiles on faces of friends is fantastic.

Now, having been qualified for 5 years I have my tailwheel rating and am converting to the Chipmunk. If the weather ever improves and when airfield open up again, i plan on exploring more of the country by air.....

There are so many options out there once you have the PPL! :D
kanga, Rob P liked this
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PA28 wrote:Enjoy the Chipmunk. Remember LEFT rudder on take-off!
You will struggle to find a nicer handling aeroplane.

You know you have mastered it when you dont think about which rudder, I go from American to British without thinking which rudder and have to think if someone asks me! As for a nicer handling aeroplane - fly an RV (3,4,6,7 or 8 ) - my view is this is a Chippie on steroids!
Last edited by foxmoth on Mon May 31, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
I think he meant RV-8. ^^^^

They are lovely, but the 4 is much nicer in my opinion - based on a lot more time on 4 than 8

Rob P
By PA28
I don't have to think about it either but that is because it is my job. The Falco F8L is also really nice to fly also. Just for the record I have flown the RV3, 4,6A,6, 7, 8, 9A,10 and 12. The RV8 is the best in my opinion.
The Chipmunk is still really nice to fly.
By kanga
Flyingkeyboard wrote:.. Dunkeswell ... Inbound via Taunton ..

remember to dip your wings to salute former RAF Culmhead, home of the world's first jet fighter squadron :)

[yes, Meteors operational in squadron strength before Me262s, although some 262s from a development unit had been used combat]
By Hazel C
foxmoth wrote:
PA28 wrote:Enjoy the Chipmunk. Remember LEFT rudder on take-off!
You will struggle to find a nicer handling aeroplane.

You know you have mastered it when you dont think about which rudder, I go from American to British without thinking which rudder and have to think if someone asks me! As for a nicer handling aeroplane - fly and RV (3,4,6,7 or 8 ) - my view is this is a Chippie on steroids!

...i'm just trying to master C140 to Chippy at the mo!! :D :lol:
By RisePilot
Next step for the OP is a helicopter rating.

All this talk of landing and taking bikes/scooters/buses/taxis reminded me of declining a landing location last week as it would involve a 10 minute taxi ride – I didn’t get a helicopter license to take taxis.
PA28 liked this