Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does anyone know what the Ambient Light Sensor on a SkyEcho 2 actually does?

I spotted it in the manual - but no explanation of what it does.
By Lefty
Thanks. I assumed that’s what it was, but (a) the LED’s aren’t really bright to require dimming and (b) it was referenced on the photo, but then not mentioned anywhere in the manual.
By Cub
I don’t know if you have flown with SkyEcho at night but the auto-dimming of the LEDs is necessary depending on the positioning of the device in your view.
By Iceman
Early aviation GPS units, e.g., the Garmin 295, altered screen intensity based on the computed local sunset and sunrise times. Modern GPS units, including the IFR panel mounts, include an ambient light detector in order to perform the intensity change a bit more intelligently based on current light conditions in the cockpit.

Thanks for posting this @Lefty as it has explained why my SkyEcho2’s LED intensity changes as I rotate it into its mounting clamp, something that had been puzzling me. Its ambient light detector is obviously quite directionally sensitive in daylight conditions
Iceman 8)
By VinceGod
Forfoxake wrote:It's got auto-dimming but not an external antenna connection?

Do you want it to look like it is made from bit purchased in Radio Shack / Maplins?

Next you’ll be wanting us to wear white shirts and epaulettes!
By PeteSpencer
I thought my SE2 had turned itself off as the lights were so dim and I had to retrieve it from its mounting position on the a/c window to check, only to find the indicator lights barely visible.
This explains everything................... :roll:
By Forfoxake
VinceGod wrote:

Do you want it to look like it is made from bit purchased in Radio Shack / Maplins?

Next you’ll be wanting us to wear white shirts and epaulettes!

No, but I do want to maximise air to air transmission( and reception if you need that) by placing an antenna in a place that minimises screening by pilot/passenger and metal tubes! (My PowerFLARM portable performance improved greatly by hanging two (larger) antenna from the cockpit roof rather than using the smaller ones attached to the set).
By Crash one
VinceGod wrote:

People wanted a fag packet thing with no antennas or dangly bits, so that what you’ve got.
Whether it works or not doesn’t seem to matter as long as it’s nice and tidy!
By Cub
Crash one wrote:
VinceGod wrote:

People wanted a fag packet thing with no antennas or dangly bits, so that what you’ve got.
Whether it works or not doesn’t seem to matter as long as it’s nice and tidy!

Well then it’s a good job that it does work very well for short range air/air interaction in accordance with a published standard within the aviation spectrum, for which it was designed. It is also ‘nice and tidy’ which is probably why many thousands of GA pilots in the U.K. have purchased the product.

Suck it up and stop talking complete rubbish.
By Crash one
I was being a bit flippant.
However if you insist on being seriously serious, from what I’ve read on here, SE2 needs to be very carefully positioned in order to be effective, the antenna needs to point forward etc. Whereas Paw just needs to have its antennae pointing vertically in sight of the sky.
This would indicate that SE2 can’t see behind itself quite as well?
I’m no expert and don’t particularly care about how many satisfied users there are.