Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
…keep in mind that Joint Warrior will be running from 8th -20th May this year. Preparation activity is already underway. I believe HMS Queen Elizabeth is taking part from the Highlands, so it seems reasonable to consider there may be more low level air activity than the usual. Let's hope the F35 is operating from her.

I appreciate Joint Warrior is not limited to the Highlands, however I do believe most activity is in the north of Scotland.

I may just become a spotter for this month. :D
exfirepro, T6Harvard, Iceman and 1 others liked this
A busy sky in this neck of the woods for a Saturday night. Can't help but wonder if they are F35s? :think:

Not being suitable flying weather I did opt for plan B and put a posse together to go in search of HMS Queen Elizabeth, we failed to locate her. I think I need a plan c if the weather doesn't improve. :lol:

T6Harvard, Iceman, Cub and 1 others liked this
@T6Harvard the pics were Friday, the kayak pic was after paddling. We camped there Friday. I would have paid a lot of money for a temp as high as 6 degrees through the night. Although I doubt I would have risked a woodburner in the tent. :wink: (hope @Iceman doesn't read this :lol: )

Back to topic.

The Falcons have been very active over the last couple of days with only Hawks visible with them. Can any of the ex fast jet pilots explain the role of the Falcon? Although the below image has 2 Hawks and 3 Falcons I appreciate there may be other aircraft involved. I doubt the tanker out of Brize has been flying through midnight without there being aircraft to fuel. :wink:

T6Harvard liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Miscellaneous, tents, I rest my case :lol: :lol: !

The Falcons perform a number of roles, including acting as ‘launch platforms’ for Hawks that simulate ‘sea-skimming’ missile attacks, and they also carry lots of EW kit so as to provide Radar / comms jamming, etc.

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/flying-for-the-dark-side/

Iceman 8)
T6Harvard liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:Although I doubt I would have risked a woodburner in the tent. :wink: (hope @Iceman doesn't read this :lol: )

Someone asked the question "what would you do if you found a scorpion in your tent?" to members of different branches of the military, and these are the responses he got.
Army said, "I'd step on it."
The Marine said, "I would crush it with the heel of my boot."
The Ranger said, "I'd smash its head, cut off its tail and eat it."
Then Air Force said, "I would call room service, tell them to take it away, then ask why there is a tent in my hotel room."

@Miscellaneous, guess which service I’d fall into :lol: ?

Iceman 8)
Miscellaneous, rohmer liked this