Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
@10W I have a feeling the mayhem from QE is over. I went out and about today (got it wrong, should have gone flying) and get the feeling her exercises, at least here, are over. :(

I did see HMS Kent

EDIT: and what I think is a Vanguard submarine.

And just to keep some aviation content, can you spot the C130? :D

kanga, Iceman, Dave W liked this
It is a Vanguard class boat but I would be surprised if a SSBN submarine was involved in these exercises as they have no role other than to go to sea and remain undetected for a few months. I suspect that it is on sea trials, post refit, is in transit and running the BUTEC range (British Underwater Test and Evaluation Centre) at Raasay Sound.
Miscellaneous liked this
Thanks @10W. :thumright: Now if you could just tell me where she is? :D

Thanks @Bill McCarthy, that makes sense. She was indeed in Raasay Sound. I have lost count of how often I have seen them there over the years.

I guess it would be an unusual occurrence for the two to meet like this then? :D Pic taken from relatively close to the BUTEC terminal building just north of Applecross. Maybe took the C130 crew by surprise too?

There is a very tight schedule and turn around times for the Trident boats for BUTEC so as not to miss their slot at AUTEC in the Bahamas for missile tests. It’s the only chance that her crews can have a run ashore in warmer climes as they don’t do foreign or home visits.
kanga liked this
It's difficult not to be curious and desire more knowledge when watching these exercises being played out daily (with MK1 as opposed to virtually on a PC screen). :D
Bill McCarthy wrote:It is a Vanguard class boat but I would be surprised if a SSBN submarine was involved in these exercises as they have no role other than to go to sea and remain undetected for a few months.

Makes sense, she certainly wasn't hiding and was, as you say, in the BUTEC range. However presumably an important part of these exercises is not only the detection of enemy submarines, but also training to remain undetected? After all the whole Continuous at Sea Deterrent is dependent on the Trident boats remaining undetected.

If not the Trident boats, will other classes of boats potentially be used for training? Astute Class? :?

The Germans seem determined to find something. :wink:

Only three people, or thereabouts, on board, know the location of their SSBN submarine. Indeed they have little interest. The times I’d known where we’d been , I often regretted finding out with a “bliddy hell what are we doing here” ! I would guess that the Astute boat(s) would be shadowing the carrier with foreign participants trying to penetrate the protection ring. My old boat Dreadnought was used as a decoy ahead of a SSBN on leaving the submarine base - it had a noisier signature and the “reds” would sneak after us instead. Russian boats were very easy to find.
Using ocean temperature layers was our protection as you could “hide” beneath them. However, torpedo evasion exercises and methods can be hair raising. I remember when Capt Sam Salt (later of HMS Sheffield) had a 57 degree bow up angle on the boat - I was literally standing on the end of my bunk - well you had to find somewhere safe to hold on or secure yourself.
kanga liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:
Iceman wrote:The only time that I have ever seen a Trident boat on the surface was in the same area.

I’d be interested in hearing about the occasions you have seen them submerged. Irrespective of where. :tongue: :tongue: :D

I dream of the day when the reason we don't ever see these things is not because they're submerged, it's because they're nowhere in these waters - or preferably anywhere at all.
[Aviation content: I've seen them from the air over the Clyde numerous times and it always spoils my entire day :) ]
Topicality and nostalgia for some of us :) .. Russians allow some foreign journalists to visit Severomorsk (HQs Soviet, now Russian, Northern Fleet) and newly enhanced Nagurskoye (Franz Josef Land) airbase (reportedly, their Northernmost):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57156839
Last edited by kanga on Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well that'll be it over until October. Saw aircraft most days, didn't have all hell let loose above us again though. :( Sitting outside with a beer whilst the sun turned my face red the other night I watched a warship approach and sneak in to the loch opposite, where it remained for almost 24hrs until departing yesterday. Couldn't help but wonder if the ships we saw passing were searching for it? :D

I did see another sub today. I watched a tug approach it and they moved off together. Didn't have binoculars or a long sense with me, so was relying on the MK1. :evil: This one was definitely not a Vanguard, looked more Astute Class shaped. Any ideas @Bill McCarthy? Why would a tug go alongside at sea and tow/sail alongside for a few miles? :? I'm reminded of the 2010 grounding. :oops:

All rather frustrating watching from afar, 8.5hrs in the logbook in April, zero so far in May. There have been days I could have flown and had a look around, unfortunately I've had too much faith in the forecast. :roll:
There is not enough casing space for the towed array on the hunter killers, therefore, a tug with a reel of it will come alongside, pass the plug-bin end to the boat where a stub cable is connected to the port aft hydroplane outer edge, plug in release, the boat steams away while the cable about a mile long pays out - the end of it houses the listening bit. On completion of the patrol the boat will meet up with the tug and the whole thing is jettisoned and reeled in by the tug.
The purpose of the towed array is to place the “detector” away from the boat where self noise can inhibit long range target acquisition. We used to turn back on ourselves to position the array away to port or starb’d to pinpoint any machinery making a noise (called a noise short).
We didn’t have a towed array on Dreadnought but when we hurtled around at full speed we used to stop every now and then, go into quiet routine and listen for bandits. We had the array attachment outfit on Splendid and picked it up as above every time we went out. The forward end went mental if anyone aft started walloping something in the vice.
The days of active SONAR is becoming obsolete - if you send out a high power “ripple” from the bows, you’re telling everyone where you are !
kanga, Miscellaneous liked this