Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
bilko2 wrote:The following with retractable gear have answered my enquiries saying that they will be available in UK "later this year"
http://www.flyrisen.com/indexEn.html
https://www.shark.aero/

Several others have not answered but I expect they will be available as well

Given the UK (CAA &DfT) has yet to agree wording/airworthiness details, that may be a bit premature.

Ian
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The speed/horsepower thing tells me one thing - cross sectional area. If there's a good speed per horsepower, the thing will be tiny and I won't be able to fit in it. I generally look at around 100 knots cruise for 100hp as the smallest I could get in and probably that as a single seater (not sure such a thing exists and 90 knots as a two seater would probably be more available).

My Bulldog is about 100 knots cruise (supposed to be 110 knots, but that uses too much fuel! ;-) ) on 200hp, but I can comfortably fit in it!

A lot of speed claims, especially in the US market, are quoted in TAS at something like 7000ft-9000ft, rather than IAS.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Wed May 05, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Forfoxake
Charles Hunt wrote:Any half-way house, LAA rather than microlight? Falco perhaps? But that is Lycosaurus rather than Rotax.

And some LAA types can be cleared for night/IFR despite being on a permit.
By akg1486
I fly my club's Pipistrel Virus: 600kg. with a 100hp Rotax, fixed gear and constant speed prop. It cruises some 10 kts (TAS) faster than a C172 or PA28 with the 180 hp Lycoming, it's only slower in the circuit. Fuel consumption in the region of 20 l/h. The view outside is also better due to large windows in the doors. That's true for many modern, lighter, aircraft.

On paper, the demonstrated crosswind component is about the same as C172/PA28. Personally, I still feel it's more of a handful on final with crosswind for two reasons: speed on final is lower and there's less inertia because of half the mass. After learning to control it with more active feet, I'm getting better. I don't have any other experience, but I would guess other types would be the same. I suppose you can say that these lighter aircraft demand a bit more of you as a pilot: they are not as forgiving if you don't do things right.

The main disadvantage is the minimal storage space for luggage. And once you put you luggage in storage, you can't reach any of it. Any sunglasses, snacks, barf bags or other sundries that you might need during the flight need to be in your lap, in the minimal "glove compartments" or the seat next to you (if unoccupied).
By Big Dex
Aside from being able to fly a microlight on a microlight license, I see little benefit in them over a Permit Group A aircraft.

I fly a Europa; 125kts at 19lph, midway through its IFR approval. Happy on a bumpy 500m grass strip. It costs no more to run than the microlights I owned before, aside from the need for a Class2 medical for international flight.

I’d guess it’s worth around 20% of the cost of a VL3, but it’s not for sale, nor likely to be in the foreseeable future; there’s nothing that suits me better!
lobstaboy, MikeW, seanxair and 2 others liked this
By CloudHound
At the upper end, these small aircraft are not microlights in the traditional sense.

I understand attempts to move away from the term "Microlight" have hit an obstacle with DfT/CAA lawyers and the complexities of unravelling licensing terminology.

So in order for every pilot to have an equitable route from what they currently fly to a 600kg aeroplane employing 3 axis controls with complex engine/propellor and undercarriage the word has to stay.
By russp
G-BLEW wrote:
Aside from being able to fly a microlight on a microlight license, I see little benefit in them over a Permit Group A aircraft.

Factory built, ready to fly?

Ian

Yep - that's the REALLY big advantage. Most people looking for a LSA (cos lets be realistic that's what they are) aren't interested in building them but really want something they can fly two up with fuel legally!
By Genghis the Engineer
Quick history lesson.

When young people with a desire to fly and not much money started doing things in the 1970s, they called what they were doing in most countries "ultralight aircraft", but in Britain "minimum aircraft".

And so, the British Minimum Aircraft Association was born, to support these people and start negotiating with the authorities. CAA were being reasonably helpful but weren't at-all happy with the word minimum. Ultralight would have been the sensible name, but the BMAA was already formed, the letterheads all printed, and nobody could afford to do it again. So it had to be a word beginning with "M".

And hence whilst the rest of the world got ultralights, Britain got - and still has - Microlights.

G
Ben K, kanga, deltacharlie liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
CloudHound wrote:At the upper end, these small aircraft are not microlights in the traditional sense.

Agreed, but that's been the case with some for 20 years now. Just look at the Flightdesign CT2K, the first high performance microlight approved in the UK - by no measure is that a "traditional" microlight.

G
lobstaboy liked this
By Big Dex
G-BLEW wrote:

Factory built, ready to fly?

Ian

That’s certainly true if buying new, and a valid point. I guess that not many of us buy new though.
By MattL
I think it’s a whole different flying ethos / experience in many ways - lighter construction aircraft, different handling considerations, usually different airfield infrastructure experience etc..

I also think the ‘microlight’ sector is probably much better placed and has great promise for the green focus that is growing by the day
By Genghis the Engineer
Charles Hunt wrote:Any half-way house, LAA rather than microlight? Falco perhaps? But that is Lycosaurus rather than Rotax.

LAA have always had microlights, BMAA have a few light aircraft these days.

VLA is probably the distinction you are looking for - which is the category that the Europa is in, for example.

G