Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
chevvron wrote:.. the CAFU Dove..

<more nostalgia :oops: >

ISTR seeing that, and a CAFU Pembroke, at IIRC Prestwick occasionally, if so in 1969. I may have slides somewhere ..

[or should that technically have been a Devon as it had the military-style glazed cockpit roof ? and Prince ?]

</>
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chevvron wrote:
BEX[/quot]
Thank you for your flattery Bex; not often I get that on this forum.
I'm certain it was at least mentioned on my Approach Radar course back in Feb '74 because I remember trying to use it during the 'live' training phase where we either flew in the CAFU Dove………..

Was that the Dove that now belongs to DAS and dangles from the roof of Airspace at Duxford just above the Comet ?

It certain has ‘CAA markings’

Peter
By Cub
At various points CAFU operated 9 Doves, 3 Percival Princes and a President as well as a large variety of other aircraft through it’s history.

I only ever had one trip in a Dove but loads of rides in the 748s and 125s.

@Talkdownman might pop up to relay his far greater experiences with the Dove fleet?
kanga, Talkdownman liked this
By chevvron
PeteSpencer wrote:
chevvron wrote:
BEX[/quot]
Thank you for your flattery Bex; not often I get that on this forum.
I'm certain it was at least mentioned on my Approach Radar course back in Feb '74 because I remember trying to use it during the 'live' training phase where we either flew in the CAFU Dove………..

Was that the Dove that now belongs to DAS and dangles from the roof of Airspace at Duxford just above the Comet ?

It certain has ‘CAA markings’

Peter

My logbook shows I flew in both G ANUT and G ANUW twice in Feb 1974.
The CAFU '748s were chartered to Dan Air when not needed by CAFU.
It was still CAFU in '74 under the DTI; didn't become CAAFU under the CAA until Jan '75.
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
The Duxford Dove is G-ALFU and has ‘Cafu’ marked on it somewhere , but can’t remember where!

Can’t check as I don’t do Duxford any more….. :wink:
By chevvron
PeteSpencer wrote:The Duxford Dove is G-ALFU and has ‘Cafu’ marked on it somewhere , but can’t remember where!

Can’t check as I don’t do Duxford any more….. :wink:

Vaguely recall they were maroon underside and white uppers with a black cheat line through the windows and 'Civil Aviation Flying Unit' was written on the cheat line behind the last window.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/ganut
They were also used for I/R tests out of Stansted; the computer at West Drayton was programmed with 6 (I think) I/R routes and you just typed in 'IR' then the number of the route to get the strips printed.
Lochaven , C,C, very useful when trying to acknowledge 'Addis , Addis' and getting 'Bombay , Bombay' on HF... Shouting does seem to help !
Dug out old licences , and have R/T [restricted] on PPL '71 , CPL/IR '73, and ATPL/IR '77 up to '89 issue . '99 issue [R] removed !
We must have done HF theory in ATPL ground exams , but was in '72. But was using HF from '86 in charter 732s. Inc. T9, Speedbird , Portishead , Stockholm , and 'Architect' for Ops Normal on a GIB run. Never formally trained , just on the job .

Kanga , don't think Nat tracks are 10nm apart ; if only because a turnback radius at altitude and M.8+ is best part of 10nm ..Think they came from 120nm[Nav.] to 60nm , and now probably 30nm . And not GPS dependent , but I retired 12 yrs ago .
VC10s started INS training in '75 , Tristars refitted in 76-77ish , triple INS . Last 744 without GPS was about 14 yrs ago . Mandated as a cheap fix after a BMED problem near Addis . Most long haul had Triple INS , but Lufty chartered in 73s with ETOPS to do business class across the pond . They likely only had Dual IRS [ INS with DME update ] , as standard fit in a 73 is dual. I believe our boy said A320 series have triple .
Gaznav ...With hat , coat , and door , and not wanting to stir the hornets nest .. , SS was fun as a P2 and as good a follower as leader .

rgds condor .
kanga, Lockhaven liked this
Kanga , don't think Nat tracks are 10nm apart ; if only because a turnback radius at altitude and M.8+ is best part of 10nm ..Think they came from 120nm[Nav.] to 60nm , and now probably 30nm

Yep, 30nm. Contingency normally involves offsetting 15nm.

Gaznav ...With hat , coat , and door , and not wanting to stir the hornets nest .. , SS was fun as a P2 and as good a follower as leader .

Love you too XXX :lol:
kanga liked this
condor17 wrote:..

Kanga , don't think Nat tracks are 10nm apart ; if only because a turnback radius at altitude and M.8+ is best part of 10nm ..Think they came from 120nm[Nav.] to 60nm , and now probably 30nm . ...

:thumright:

ah, thanks. I remember the reduction, but had misremembered the values. The 2 charter airlines for which I worked which did transatlantic 'Affinity Groups' still carried Navigators ('60s) for them.
PaulSS liked this
Dominie wrote:
kanga wrote:The 2 charter airlines for which I worked which did transatlantic 'Affinity Groups' still carried Navigators ('60s) for them.

Was one of those Donaldson's - with Brittanias? :lol:

no, but I remember them :-)

British Eagle and Caledonian
OCB wrote:@kanga - only one thing springs to mind re:Caledonian....

https://youtu.be/P8y1CANyq-k

:)

.. but I was with 'Caledonian' before it became BCal :wink: However, nearly all my colleagues there (Prestwick) were Scots, which I gathered was not true of our Gatwick base :?