Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob L
I first flew into (then) PFA Rallys at Cranfield and then Kemble many moons ago, and was a little concerned about the ATC; but I was young & ignorant.

But the AFIS system at Sywell for the later LAA rally works well, with the CAA dispensation for no aircraft calls until "number 1 on final"...almost the same as Oshkosh. Considering the difference in traffic levels, I think that's a good compromise.

I had a radio failure in the circuit to one Sywell LAA rally a few years ago; I landed anyway because I thought that the safest option; apologised to Sywell AFIS in person on the ground and they were good about it :thumleft:

The approved system between the CAA and Sywell LAA rally seems to work OK :D Let's hope this year will see the same!

Rob

(sorry for the thread drift)
kanga, ChampChump, Rich V liked this
By chevvron
Morten wrote:I've seen this mentioned before but don't understand why it's an issue for Booker? I've was based at White Waltham briefly which seems to cope easily with A/G

Not many of you will remember but White Waltham had Air Cadet gliding until the '80s after the departure of the Chipmunks of the UAS and AEF.
Operating south side non radio parallel to the powered runway with winch launching it was a large 'detachment' of 613 Gliding School at Halton. It could get pretty busy in the circuit because unlike at Booker, the gliders operated the same direction circuits as powered aircraft.(as far as I recall; may be wrong).
When they converted to SLMGs in the early '80s, they were numbered 612 VGS and moved initially to Benson, then Halton, then Abingdon.
By stickandrudderman
I think the situation at Booker is complicated; Both Freeholder and Leasholder seem intent on making money from any avenue possible except GA. South side of airfield is now earmarked for industrial development and a row of trees has now been planted to delineate. This row of trees has caused the airfield operator to evict the gliders (again) on the grounds of safety due proximity of trees to launch site.
Airside looks more like a car park than an airfield with lots of vehicle movements on the apron by lots of people unrelated to aviation and who knows whether those people have the correct insurance in place for driving vehicles airside.
For remaining aircraft, every movement has to be booked with ops one hour in advance.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On the subject of cultural change.
Due to noise complaints from the locals an airfield has stopped its private owners from doing circuits.
One who complained was told he could fly with one of the club’s instructors if he needed to practice landings.
Then there are the locals who complain about noise, and these result in admonishments against the pilots concerned, guilty until proven innocent.
The airfield has been there since before 98% of the local residents were born, (my estimate based on it being 93 years old).
If airfield operators fail to support our form of aviation, then we are doomed.
Of course there’s huge scope for industrial and residential development with street and close names celebrating aviation that once was.
TopCat liked this
By oldbiggincfi
MichaelP wrote:On the subject of cultural change.
Due to noise complaints from the locals an airfield has stopped its private owners from doing circuits.
One who complained was told he could fly with one of the club’s instructors if he needed to practice landings.
Then there are the locals who complain about noise, and these result in admonishments against the pilots concerned, guilty until proven innocent.
The airfield has been there since before 98% of the local residents were born, (my estimate based on it being 93 years old).
If airfield operators fail to support our form of aviation, then we are doomed.
Of course there’s huge scope for industrial and residential development with street and close names celebrating aviation that once was.

Aren't you glad we enjoyed the best of times .
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Aren't you glad we enjoyed the best of times .

We did.
But do we really need ‘1984’ now, should it be a Brave New World?
It will be a sad world if the passion we enjoyed dies.
Don’t we all want it to continue?

‘To be honest’, I too am becoming disenchanted.
If this flying life is to end, then I should go to Thailand to fade away.

Today a stranger knew my name, remembered me from the Condor Club days...
His Jodel group finished, he’d love to find an aeroplane and continue, but he lives near to Biggin and Redhill, and this area of England is not friendly to people flying on a budget.
The South East belongs to those who are well heeled, and able to pay the expense of being on an airfield.

As airfields become London this and London that it is clear that some have visions of grandeur.
By GAFlyer4Fun
MichaelP wrote:On the subject of cultural change.
Then there are the locals who complain about noise, and these result in admonishments against the pilots concerned, guilty until proven innocent.....

Perhaps airfields should have a complaint processing admin fee that will be refunded if the complaint is upheld. Should reduce the number of totally bogus complaints, if not keep doubling the fee for repeat malicious complainers....
Paul_Sengupta liked this