Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
johnm wrote:I always take maps and most of the time they move :D

Yes but if one of these storms hit the only way the electronic ones will move is you waving it around in the cockpit!
By johnm
My finger seems to be able to select areas as I choose :D
By GrahamB
Unless the tablet is knocked out completely, I still have a better, more up to date non-moving map than a dog-eared bit of paper folded in the wrong place.
By Cub
foxmoth wrote:https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1430430/solar-storm-space-weather-forecast-sunspot-evg

This one actually does not look that bad but shows why you should have a hard copy of your route or a Chart with you and know the basics for how to use it!

I am not clear why I should choose to equip myself with an inevitably out of date sheet of paper when I could take a properly annotated and up to date electronic chart, regardless of the serviceability of my GPS?
By mikehallam
Seems many here are happy professing to be SADs. and just don't need a classic paper chart !

A CAA 1/2 mill is cheap enough and folding it to cover the flight (held that way with a big clip) is surely an easy and safe back-up ?
I never fly without spending just a short time for that preparation.

Anyway it's fun and good for the brain to remember how map read as you go (VFR).
Lockhaven, chevvron, Sooty25 and 1 others liked this
By Cub
mikehallam wrote:Seems many here are happy professing to be SADs. and just don't need a classic paper chart !

A CAA 1/2 mill is cheap enough and folding it to cover the flight (held that way with a big clip) is surely an easy and safe back-up ?
I never fly without spending just a short time for that preparation.

Anyway it's fun and good for the brain to remember how map read as you go (VFR).

I love paper charts, in fact I collect them. I was simply questioning the necessity of using one in lieu of an electronic depiction of the same, or better (with reference to currency of information depicted).
Rob P, BEX liked this
By foxmoth
Personally I find if I am back to basic nav it is easier to do it on a paper chart, I rather suspect that many who do it on the tablet have not actually tried doing it with GPS off!
It does not mean you have to use an “inevitably out of date piece of paper”, just print out your SD (or other electronic) map.
rogerb liked this
By Cub
RisePilot wrote:I’ve never understood this fondness of our CAA charts; they’ve always been rubbish compared to the cheaper, easier to read and more frequently updated FAA TAC’s and Sectional’s.

I personally think that the CAA (NATS) 1/4 mil charts are beautifully produced and cartographically rich - a thing of beauty. But are still never as up to date and usable as an electronic, vector graphic equivalent.

I love both.
RisePilot wrote:I’ve never understood this fondness of our CAA charts; they’ve always been rubbish compared to the cheaper, easier to read and more frequently updated FAA TAC’s and Sectional’s.

Whatever the merits of the 'map-on-a-telly v paper-map', the CAA half mil and quarter mil charts are superb pieces of work.
Lockhaven, kanga liked this