Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:
[Incidentally, in that respect, they sometimes resemble obscurer and underreported Select Committees of the House of Lords. There, non-political cross-bench Peers can often provide expertise, and penetrating scrutiny of Bills and witnesses, in ways in which Commons ones cannot.]

I assumed you were about comment on the smell of fox p*ss... I mean, ermine.... :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Rjk983 on Tue May 04, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rjk983 wrote:
kanga wrote:
[Incidentally, in that respect, they sometimes resemble obscurer and underreported Select Committees of the House of Lords. There, non-political cross-bench Peers can often provide expertise, and penetrating scrutiny of Bills and witnesses, in ways in which Commons ones cannot.]

I assumed you were about comment on the smell of fox p*ss... I mean, ermine....

[as no smiley ..]

no, I was not. There is an extraordinary range of expertise among cross-bench Peers, very few of whom are there because of any family privilege. Many attend only when there is a Chamber or Committee debate on which they have relevant expert knowledge, frequently greater than that of a Minister or Official. Bills are often usefully amended thereby, which is one reason why Lords Amendments are often accepted by Ministers in the Commons.
Last edited by kanga on Wed May 05, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P liked this
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:
Rjk983 wrote:
kanga wrote:

I assumed you were about comment on the smell of fox p*ss... I mean, ermine....

[as no smiley ..]

no, I was not. There is an extraordinary range of expertise among cross-bench Peers, very few of whom are there because of any family privilege. Many attend only when there is a Chamber or Committe debate on which they have relevant expert knowledge, frequently greater than that of a Minister or Official. Bills are often usefully amended thereby, which is one reason why Lords Amendments are often accepted by Ministers in the Commons.

Very remiss of me, I have edited my original post. Tongue was firmly in cheek, I would much prefer that we still had a full house of hereditary peers and appointed experts [and I stop here so I don’t get barred for political posting...]
Some fascinating info there in all areas, and I came away having thought a lot and learned a lot, as always the danger of assumptions!

I was intrigued at the way certain I imagine highly commercially sensitive parameters for the fuel cell were redacted.
Grelly wrote:Couldn't they have done their tests in a less expensive aircraft?

For what they were doing, and compared to the cost of developing the powertrain, the aircraft looks pretty inexpensive to me. I doubt that the airframe cost as much as 10% of the overall project, and likely rather less.

G