Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By lobstaboy
I've never done anything with a video camera, apart from the one on my phone. So how do I start to do some recording of flights?
I'm not really in need of audio at this stage, but reasonable picture quality would be nice. And I'll need to be able to edit out the boring bits (Mrs L would say it's all boring, so that's easy...)
Any help at all would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
In simple terms, buy a suitable camera, select a good place to mount it bearing in mind obstructions, prop. any danger posed in an accident... Outside is better for obvious reason, but then the battery life can be a problem without having a power source.

Use readily available free editing software to edit it.

That's all there is to the very basics. I'm sure you'll have follow up questions though.:D
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Keep an eye on all the extra cabling especially if you have e. g . back up GPS and SE2 , PaW. iPad or android. etc.

I’m just about maxed out now cable wise despite liberal use of Bluetooth and rarely connect up my GoPro any more .!! :roll:

But GoPro s are very good if you get the right splitter into your headset cable for trouble free sound recording.

Oh and spend a bit of money on a good ‘prop filter’.
Go with a GoPro 9, Ram Mounts & the entry-level version of editing software from a major player such as VegasPro. Example: Vegas Movie Studio is a £39 scaled-down version of their professional VegasPro (which is what I use, but is circa £400-$600 plus). Then you’re using “real” software and should you ever wish to move up the scale, you can easily upgrade – they often run promotions.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/gb/vegas-movie-studio/

As for connecting your headset or audio panel into the recorder; yes it’s easily possible, but I’d implore you not to do so, if wish to have interesting videos.

You’ll be amazed at how professional a video you can create with NLE software, some forethought and planning. Some simple use of features such as “audio ducking” and motion tracking can yield some great quality video.
By PeteSpencer
Unless you are planning broadcast quality movies have you considered 'dropping a grade' for your initial camera?:

I went for a Go Pro Hero 5 Black shortly after the 9 was launched and it was hundreds of squids cheaper than top of the range, with image stabilisation thrown in.

Just a thought:
You can always flog it and go top of the range when your first movie goes on general release. :lol:
I disagree with the above. Do not buy anything prior to GoPro7 minimum. GoPro8 is great (and if you had it already, I wouldn’t upgrade to 9 - just wait for the 10).

For 9, they changed the form factor and batteries; so a new purchase of an 8 would work against you.

That said, if you want it cheaper, just call them and ask - you’d be surprised.
By mpk
Meanwhile another 'vote' for anything Hero 4 onwards off ebay. What on earth is the point of going straight to 9? I control my 4 from a remote now the app doesnt work. Firmware update went fine. Its still 4k if you want that, works absolutely fine.

Loads of accessory mounts out there (non-Garmin) plus the tie down clamp direct from the USA.
Rob P liked this
By Dodo
Can someone remind me what the current regulations are with regard to mounting a camera outside the aircraft?

a) on a permit a/c (Actually a Bolkow junior which was on an EASA permit but will renew as a CAA one)
b) on a C of A one (a group owned PA28)

Thanks
By mpk
Dodo wrote:Can someone remind me what the current regulations are with regard to mounting a camera outside the aircraft?

a) on a permit a/c (Actually a Bolkow junior which was on an EASA permit but will renew as a CAA one)
b) on a C of A one (a group owned PA28)

Thanks

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201369.pdf
Despite the main part being for permit, the above references (what are now ex) EASA certified types. Basically discuss with an engineer for sign off.
Dodo liked this