Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Miscellaneous, I’ve just read the thread top to bottom, thinking he’s missed Sollas :lol: !

As alternatives to Inverness, nearby Dornoch, Easter and Newhall Mains all offer various accommodation options, on-site at the last two, albeit Easter’s only a Shepherd’s hut. Dornoch has the Castle Hotel with its bar with 400 bottles of malt.

Iceman 8)
Miscellaneous, AndyR liked this
By Iceman
@Miscellaneous, I see from the full set of pictures for the Nissen hut that they even supply the bacon for breakfast, although you might have to catch it first :pig: :lol: !

Dornoch Castle Hotel.

Newhall Mains Airfield.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyR liked this
By Forfoxake
Iceman wrote:@Miscellaneous, I see from the full set of pictures for the Nissen hut that they even supply the bacon for breakfast, although you might have to catch it first :pig: :lol: !

Iceman 8)

That is no problem- it is the haggis that are tricky to catch :D
Iceman, patowalker liked this
By AndyR
Thanks all :thumleft:

@Forfoxake , you’ve doubled up in some in my list, but useful thank you. Fuel is my biggest concern.

I’ve done quite a few airfields in my previous day job, so trying to avoid those. I’ve done Kirkwall and Sumburgh many times, also Stornoway, normally came back loaded with black pudding from there.

Flying up by Bulldog, so 3 hours is the absolute limit really with sensible fuel reserve.

Interesting info re Perth.

Only got three days including up and back from the south coast, so a dozen is ambitious enough.

We operate the Bulldog out of <500m and have often used the 408m of runway 13/31 at Shoreham. So if you have any suggestions @Miscellaneous feel free. Interesting re the accommodation options, thank you. Know about Easter from a friend who works up that way.

Having spent a week up in the Highlands on the motorbike last September I’m familiar with midges :shock: :D

The plan on day one is work north from the deep south of England, dropping in to a couple of airfields I’ve not yet managed to accumulate. Refuel is Kirkbride and also Cumbernauld if Oban still not sorted. Then into Glenforsa.

The list in the first post was one option for day 2.

Most of day 3 will be working back south again.
By AndyR
2Donkeys wrote:As @Forfoxake says, give some thought to Orkney (Kirkwall). The place has a culture all of its own, and could well be worth a night stop on your itinerary.

Thanks 2D. Done quite a few times in last day job. Just don’t have the time this trip.
By AndyR
James Chan wrote:I've found the west of Scotland being the most beautiful including Skye and Mull.
On east side, flying straight down Loch Ness would be interesting!

Just avoid landing at Edinburgh Airport unless you have some ££££ to burn - everything else should be fine. (Glasgow has also reduced its rates)

I’ve flown down Loch Ness and the entire Great Glen several times .... quite low :wink:

Flew into Edinburgh in a previous Bulldog some years ago now, at that stage of my flying it was awesome albeit a penny or two. It’s worse nowadays I can assure you, as is the security at Signature. I’ve lost a few things to them.
A pass over the city is on the cards though for my friend.
Glasgow again I know very well, though Signature rather than flying club. In a SEP I’d choose Cumbernauld over Glasgow.
By AndyR
Iceman wrote:@Miscellaneous, I see from the full set of pictures for the Nissen hut that they even supply the bacon for breakfast, although you might have to catch it first :pig: :lol: !

Dornoch Castle Hotel.

Newhall Mains Airfield.

Iceman 8)

Appreciated. Perhaps not for the target budget on this one, but lovely places, albeit better without social distancing measures. :thumleft:
Iceman liked this
By Forfoxake
AndyR wrote:

"@Forfoxake , you’ve doubled up in some in my list, but useful thank you"

Oops apologies!

PS Bute @ 480m ought to be doable then. If the wind is very light or cross, I always land up the slight slope (09).

Enjoy, and if you are stuck, call in at Strathaven and I can probably obtain some AVGAS for you!
AndyR liked this
AndyR wrote:@Miscellaneous feel free.

A couple I had in mind are sub 300m and probably a bit rough. My thinking was they would be a bit of fun, but probably a bit too much fun for the Bulldog. :wink:

Other options are Easterton, the home of Highland Gliding Club which is just south of Elgin. There are a few power aircraft fly from there too. There is also Aboyne (Deeside Gliding) with circa 500m of narrow tarmac and Portmoak (Scottish Gliding) with 900m grass. Of those 3 I'd suggest Easterton would be more open to visiting power. Worth a call to the others though to get in somewhere new. :thumright:
AndyR liked this
By Forfoxake
Miscellaneous wrote:
AndyR wrote:@Miscellaneous feel free.

A couple I had in mind are sub 300m and probably a bit rough. My thinking was they would be a bit of fun, but probably a bit too much fun for the Bulldog. :wink:

Other options are Easterton, the home of Highland Gliding Club which is just south of Elgin. There are a few power aircraft fly from there too. There is also Aboyne (Deeside Gliding) with circa 500m of narrow tarmac and Portmoak (Scottish Gliding) with 900m grass. Of those 3 I'd suggest Easterton would be more open to visiting power. Worth a call to the others though to get in somewhere new. :thumright:

Insch is also a lovely strip, although maybe a little off route.

More on route, though probably a little rough is Feshiebridge.