Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Sorry to thread-jack, but I'm planning a two day trip up to Scotland in the next few weeks, and am looking for suggestions for where to fuel. I'm flying a Sportcruiser, so would ideally like to find an airfield that is within walking distance of a petrol station.

Any suggestions?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you go into Glenforsa, they’ll normally lend you a car (possibly even a jerry can) to go to the local petrol station in Sallen. If they don’t have a car available then it’s not walkable.

Iceman 8)
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
There is a petrol station about a mile from Cumbernauld airport, with a cafe next door in case you need to recuperate before the walk back. I have done the walk and it's fine, but I was 'out for a walk' with local friends and not carrying jerry cans!
november romeo wrote:Sorry to thread-jack, but I'm planning a two day trip up to Scotland in the next few weeks, and am looking for suggestions for where to fuel. I'm flying a Sportcruiser, so would ideally like to find an airfield that is within walking distance of a petrol station.

Any suggestions?

Crickey, how much fuel would you want to carry by hand to make that worthwhile for the sake of avoiding the relatively small amount of avgas required for a Sportcruiser top off?

Put a couple of cans of fuel in the wing lockers ( w&b permitting) and you’ll have fuel for a month :thumright:
Charliesixtysix wrote:Crickey, how much fuel would you want to carry by hand to make that worthwhile for the sake of avoiding the relatively small amount of avgas required for a Sportcruiser top off?

Put a couple of cans of fuel in the wing lockers ( w&b permitting) and you’ll have fuel for a month :thumright:

Well I plan on flying 5 hours each day (100 litres). Endurance with full tanks is 6 hours (120 litres).
I take 2 plastic jerry cans when travelling, total capacity 30 litres. So that's 4 trips each day, which is why it's nice to have somewhere nearby to minimise the back and forth time.

Obviously this isn't always possible (and sometimes it adds too much extra time), so I do occasionally end up buying AVGAS from the pumps.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
By Rob L
november romeo wrote:....a two day trip up to Scotland in the next few weeks, ......

Two days is not enough! Can you plan for a few more? There is so much to see & experience!
@november romeo depending on when and where I may be able to sort you out. :thumright:

@Iceman I went to check something out. I decided it was a bit posh for you. :wink: Nice lawn for me camping on though. :thumright:

Unfortunately I didn't get in. Sign on the door said open, ring bell, or call mobile number. Music playing inside, but no sign of life. It may be more lively after Monday with further relaxation of the rules.

AndyR liked this
By Iceman
@Miscellaneous, just keep your tent in a corner as I’m sure that I can get the Maule on that lawn, given a clear run :lol: !

It looks fab from that angle, only having seen it at a distance from Plockton harbour. Got to be tried ! I’ll pass some beer out to you :cheers:.

Iceman 8)
muffin wrote:I doubt the reason is saving money. Rotax engines do not like Avgas.

Not quite true..
A Rotax 912 runs perfectly well on Avgas but just needs more frequent oil changes due to a risk of carbon build up if run permanently on Avgas.
For infrequent fuel top ups when touring it will make no difference whatsoever to normal Mogas home base operation of the engine.
In summer months it may be advisable to run on Avgas anyway due to the risk of Mogas fuel vapour lock.(LAA Mogas Cert is to 20degrees C maximum fuel temp).
ArthurG liked this
Iceman wrote:I’m sure that I can get the Maule on that lawn, given a clear run :lol: !

That's only part of the lawn, maybe half (albeit half the area, not the length)?
Iceman wrote:I’ll pass some beer out to you :cheers:.

Appreciated. :D :thumright:
By Forfoxake
I understand that Glenrothes has cheapish UL91 atm if you are worried about the lead in 100LL.

However, I am sure someone at Strathaven could help you with unleaded petrol- if you are stuck PM me.

Someone could probably help you at Balado, East Fortune and Insch too- or Tommy Sinclair in Orkney!
If you don’t mind supermarket fuel, Tesco is a five minute walk away at Wick. Or, if you, or anyone else makes a trip this far north, I will come in and run you round there with the pick-up.