Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bit of a shame for those who have posted comments on the thread; especially since it was early on clear that he would be able to be identified and where he flew from.

Hey ho. That's life.

People posting on the internet should realise that there is no anonymity on any forum.
Colonel Panic liked this
By foxmoth
I don’t think the OP had a real problem with the thread remaining until someone else said that he should have a problem with it! :roll:
By patowalker
foxmoth wrote:I don’t think the OP had a real problem with the thread remaining until someone else said that he should have a problem with it! :roll:

I didn't say he should have a problem with it. Only that he wasn't kidding anybody by suggesting he didn't want to identify the school or the FI, given his previous posts on training and renting.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Crash one
Iceman wrote:He probably had no knowledge of the thread at all, but it would have been interesting to have given him the opportunity to comment and defend his decision.

Iceman 8)

It was mentioned that someone from the club was on here. I would guess that would allow the word to spread among the club.
Three pages of opportunity?
By flyingearly
I asked for the thread to be deleted, because others had taken steps to try and 'out' the school very visibly. I was genuinely not looking to criticise the school (even if you suggest so), but was/am struggling with where the line between risk and learning is drawn. The premise of the original question likely applies to many different training and club environments up and down the country; I am sure my situation is far from unique.

I have contacted the club and suggested a conversation to discuss and work out positive and constructive next steps.

FWIW, I didn't really have a problem with the thread all the while it remained abstract, but perhaps through my own clumsy wording in the OP (which I took a long time to draft and think through) I allowed it to become specific and accusative when it shouldn't. This is more a product of my own frustration in the circumstances.

That said, I'll have a chat with my instructor and club and see what they think. I believe there is genuinely merit in the discussion and - if they agree - would be very supportive of the thread coming back provided we play the ball, not the man (or woman) as the case may be.
Ben K, JAFO, cjrpaterson and 3 others liked this
By Crash one
It’s a delicate situation, who’s toes do you step on first.
The first opinion was fairly clear without asking.
So the second opinion was asked first.
By IMCR
flyingearly wrote:I asked for the thread to be deleted, because others had taken steps to try and 'out' the school very visibly. I was genuinely not looking to criticise the school (even if you suggest so), but was/am struggling with where the line between risk and learning is drawn. The premise of the original question likely applies to many different training and club environments up and down the country; I am sure my situation is far from unique.

I have contacted the club and suggested a conversation to discuss and work out positive and constructive next steps.

FWIW, I didn't really have a problem with the thread all the while it remained abstract, but perhaps through my own clumsy wording in the OP (which I took a long time to draft and think through) I allowed it to become specific and accusative when it shouldn't. This is more a product of my own frustration in the circumstances.

That said, I'll have a chat with my instructor and club and see what they think. I believe there is genuinely merit in the discussion and - if they agree - would be very supportive of the thread coming back provided we play the ball, not the man (or woman) as the case may be.

Very well said, and I fully support your conclusion. I did suggest a chat with the instructor in my last post on the original thread and this is exactly the right course.

You will find there are some tinkers around who will provoke, but let it matter not, listen to the various opinions, and, in this case, particularly what the club has to say and draw your own conclusions.

Personally I think you were quite right to withdraw the thread - it had run its course, and this is when things start to go down hill.

Inevitably it would be interesting to hear what they have to say and what you conclude.

Thank you for an interesting discussion.
FrankS liked this
By patowalker
@flyingearly

You say you took a long time to draft and think through the OP, yet you had it removed when you didn't like they way the thread developed.

Last time you posted that the aircraft you rented was an absolute dog, and when others said this was unacceptable, you admitted it wasn't that bad.

If you are going to post about your experience with a school, I suggest you post only what you are prepared to uphold, whichever the discussion develops.
By IMCR
I dont agree. This is a chat forum.

The name of the school was not disclosed and there was nothing there to identify it, other than those who set out to do so by other means.

It was an interesting discussion, and I know circumstances many have come across before.

I have aslo found that upholding things between two parties is all a bit of an illusion. Even with absolutely the best intentions, it would seem we each have our own perspective, and even with both sides of the story there are often no rights and wrongs. The O/P set out his concerns very clearly and I think this was fair enough.
JAFO liked this