Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Well I gave this a go over morning coffee. I got about fourteen minutes in, unencumbered by alcohol.

The presenter seems like a nice chap, his CV is frighteningly impressive and I was glad he remembered to mention his GA experience eventually. But the single presenter droning on without relief is a difficult act to pull off, particularly where the script is far from well-written. It did lapse into Death by PowerPoint, probably the limiting factor to getting through to the end.

Some nice 'gee-whiz' graphs, I was particularly impressed that the reduction in military LoS paralleled the steady disappearance of our air force.

What else to say?

If, for some reason you are motivated to research the topic it's a great primer. Everything you need to know is there - though no mention in the two thirds I made it through of poor airspace design. I expect that's the topic of the last third?

"Mostly Harmless" .

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
11 minutes too long for my attention span at 11.00 pm on a Sunday after a gallon of red wine.

Perhaps you might want to consider allocating an alternative time of day to watch safety videos and stick with Top Gun at that time of day/state of mind.

I thought this was produced to a high quality and fairly easily digestible. Surely about 10-15 minutes is a sensible length.

Interesting emphasis on reporting. I have never filled in an MOR, airprox or made a CHIRP report. I do read CHIRPs and did attend an Airprox Board meeting once to see how those work. We also have a very open Just Culture within both of the flying clubs I'm involved with that encourages reports and works well. Perhaps MORs have a poor reputation within the GA community because they are associated with/visible only from enforcement action and/or perceived really only for commercial activities.

As an aside, I Google-searched Mandatory Occurrence Report. The CAA form SRG1061 that pops up was discontinued in 2016. The CAA website page on MORs gives some detailed blurb about formatting requirements, then a link to the EASA MOR website. Is that still the right place? The portal does allow selection on the reporting form to use the UK as your own country (noting it is an ICAO not EASA member state), so I'm assuming so.

The CAA used to publish how many MORs were submitted annually. It was around 15 to 20,000 but they stopped publishing the figures after 2015. I couldn't easily find aggregate numbers from the EASA portal, so can't tell if they are going up or down. The proportion from GA is not stated.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@DavidC

Airproxes are best filed via an Airprox report, not an MOR.

Easily found first time via your search engine of choice.

But I agree with @Rob P. It's a serious subject, and it was a serious attempt to address it, but just reading out page after page of PowerPoint is not really an approach to capture and hold the watcher's attention. I'll be honest, I didn't make it to the end, despite its brevity.

(Edit for typo).
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob P liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Great pilots don't necessarily make great instrutors or content deliverers.

The naysayers to GASCO have had their wish come true, a commercial outfit has been given their place, rather than a charity.

Might even brush off my EuroGA log in to see how this improvement is received there; got the impression there were some people there unhappy with having to attend the GASCO course.
Rob P liked this
I dont think this has anything to do with a commercial provider or a charity. Neither matters and neither is more or less appropriate. This isnt enforcement, it is education. GASCo's courses seemed equally sound, albeit different. I think you might just be confusing past discussions with respect to enforcement with education, and I do accept enforcement is a relative term. :lol:
Last edited by IMCR on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidC wrote: Surely about 10-15 minutes is a sensible length.

I would say so. It's a sad observation on our (my) modern-day attention span that, at twice that length, this presentation was a chore that few seem to have completed.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Great pilots don't necessarily make great instrutors or content deliverers.

but I think it is fair to say that equally the two are not mutually exclusive.

Also I think pilots in particular have more respect from someone who has "done it recently, or is doing it", rather than from someone who is a few to many years removed.

However, you are right, there is a technique to these things, and I think this gentleman comes across very well.
Stampe liked this