Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
As I'm sure the forumites feel at loss without some airspace consulation this week, the Thames Valley Constabulary would like to propose this: https://www.gatco.org/wp-content/upload ... -.docx.pdf (with thanks to GATCO and FISO UK for publising it)

Fairly poorly written from an aeronautical point of view. No mention of the fact it is already class D, usual absence of clarity if altitude or height above a point is meant, no mention of that it is on Heathrow 09 approach

And the usual scarecrow of terrorism...
Locally we have restricted airspace at Sandringham (few months a year) and Anmer (permanent) - this is in class G. I always felt this was for prevention of opportunistic journalists with a drone trying to get pictures rather than anything more serious. Whether the mere fact of breaking the law would stop them I leave you to form your own opinions on!
Seems somewhat pointless given where it is. The only aircraft that would routinely be affected by it will all undoubtedly be exempted from it.

matthew_w100 wrote:1.5nm keeps it inside the Heathrow inner area doesn't it? So Ascot to Burnham is unaffected.

Who would give permission, based on how it works elsewhere? Would it be Heathrow ATC, or would you need a signed letter from the Queen?

For restricted airspace you usually have to go through CAA Airspace Regulation Operations I think, but if it’s anything like the Balmoral restricted airspace then you have to refer to the enabling Statutory Instrument.
matthew_w100 liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:But there is already legislation keeping drones from operating within controlled airspace without permission.

You'd have thought so - wouldn't you.
https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/
Drones are restricted, in relation to an airport, within 2 or 2.5 nm radius plus a rectangular section 5km in line with a runway. So they have more freedom than manned aircraft.
I think if the drone is below a certain weight, or possibly in the Open category, it can be flown in Class D with no restrictions, assuming it’s outside the area protected for the airfield.

In the case of Heathrow, the area protected doesn’t encompass Windsor Castle. So again, I think, a small drone could currently operate in relative proximity to the castle with no restriction. Emphasis on I think!

So maybe it is the tightening up of an otherwise currently available opportunity for small drones to operate in the vicinity of the castle. Plus most other royal residences already seem to have some sort of restricted airspace around them.

By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
xtophe wrote:No mention of the fact it is already class D

I guess unlikely for Heathrow - but elsewhere in the last year we've seen areas of class D become class G temporarily due to temporary airport closures, so I could see more generally why you wouldn't rely on class D to provide protection.