Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
riverrock wrote:
Dave W wrote:But there is already legislation keeping drones from operating within controlled airspace without permission.

You'd have thought so - wouldn't you.
https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/
Drones are restricted, in relation to an airport, within 2 or 2.5 nm radius plus a rectangular section 5km in line with a runway. So they have more freedom than manned aircraft.

I think you will find that if there is restricted airspace around an area it makes it easier to prosecute should someone or drone be in there without permission, equally if a terrorist wants to use a drone for an attack they won't care what airspace is around an area.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lockhaven wrote:
riverrock wrote:
Dave W wrote:But there is already legislation keeping drones from operating within controlled airspace without permission.

You'd have thought so - wouldn't you.
https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/
Drones are restricted, in relation to an airport, within 2 or 2.5 nm radius plus a rectangular section 5km in line with a runway. So they have more freedom than manned aircraft.

I think you will find that if there is restricted airspace around an area it makes it easier to prosecute should someone or drone be in there without permission, equally if a terrorist wants to use a drone for an attack they won't care what airspace is around an area.

The point was - highlighted by the next post, that although Windsor is within controlled airspace, it isn't restricted for drones.
Why does the GATCO link consistently refer to Air Space? Why cant they stick to the convention of Airspace used by the CAA and everyone else?

Air Space feels like it could have a different meaning to Airspace... particularly now some countries are looking to have a military Space Command beyond the atmosphere.

It might be pedantic, but in my professional career it has been amazing how such trivial things have caused misunderstanding, confusion, incorrect assumptions, incorrect decisions and extra costs reworking something to make it right,

Sticking to standardised terminology helps everyone have a common understanding of the written/spoken words. Drone users and anyone else new to the table need to be on the same page as the rest of aviation.
Rob P liked this
By flybymike
Marginally better than “airspaces” which I have seen mentioned.

But then single collective nouns such as “behaviour,” “harm,” “freedom,” and even “aircraft” now proliferate in some new weird plural form as behaviours, harms, freedoms and aircrafts.
I suppose sheeps will be the final straw.

(However, I will grant Jeremy Clarkson his “horse powers”. ) :wink:
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Why does the GATCO link consistently refer to Air Space? Why cant they stick to the convention of Airspace used by the CAA and everyone else?

<snipped for brevity>

I know the president and immediate past president, I’ll give them a telling off for you :P
Rob P liked this
By Human Factor
Can’t remember but the vast vast majority of easterly landings are onto 09L as there are no departures normally permitted due to the Cranford agreement. I took off from it once (2004 I think) but that was a very rare exception.
Human Factor wrote:Can’t remember but the vast vast majority of easterly landings are onto 09L as there are no departures normally permitted due to the Cranford agreement. I took off from it once (2004 I think) but that was a very rare exception.

The government decided the Cranford Agreement should end over ten years ago now, and planning permission had been approved for work at the 09L threshold taxiway system to allow it to be used for peak level departures.

Then the bigger Heathrow expansion plans materialised and the taxiway works would have to change to accommodate that, so it all got tied up again in the planning process for the third runway.

Then the coronavirus pandemic hit and everything project wise, unless safety involved, went on hold for who knows how long.
matthew_w100 wrote:1.5nm keeps it inside the Heathrow inner area doesn't it? So Ascot to Burnham is unaffected.

Who would give permission, based on how it works elsewhere? Would it be Heathrow ATC, or would you need a signed letter from the Queen?

Always has been (for about 30/40 years anyway) restricted airspace around Windsor Castle but applicable only to military aircraft and referred to as 'Provost Marshal' airspace.
I dare say as Her Majesty is spending more time there nowadays, they want measures in place to stop drones and heli-news flights from buzzing round there all the time even lf Heathrow do clear them through.
Transits generally route further west; I see them overhead quite often when I'm at Bray Marina (which is very rarely nowadays; anybody wanna buy a boat?)