Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
Found it!

I must say all the official correspondence looks encouraging .

Not so the tripe from the NIMBYs

I wish you well Having had a tsunami of objections from neighbours to our downsizing plans five years ago, don’t get downhearted keep plodding on: you’ll get there in the end.

We did!

Let us know if/when you want us to join the nimby forum to post support

Peter
ChampChump liked this
By Flying_john
Just a thought - but this is a public forum and in the past objectors to aviation matters have pointed out to Local Authorities that supporters have been rallied on the Flyer Forum and told what to say in support letters.

So you need to be careful with boilerplate support ideas etc. PM's are good for this.

I would recommend you all sign up to the objectors website to keep the enemy close and be able to inject words of wisdom without disclosing your views !!
ChampChump liked this
By nallen
Gordon Freeman wrote:As for the environment, all the grass airfields I visit are teeming with insects and wildlife, especially birds.

Absolutely right! There is a point perhaps not often made that turning a tract of land from being intensively farmed into an airfield will create a much more wildlife-friendly area (at the cost of some noise, it cannot be denied). There's a perception that everything is just "the countryside" and teeming with nature, which ignores the agro-industrial reality; an airfield can truly be a wildlife oasis in this sort of landscape.

After a summer's day of flying, I often sit and watch the buzzards over our airfield showing me how it should be done.
ChampChump, Dusty_B, Cowshed liked this
By Crash one
Are these fanatics ever invited to visit a similar well established grass airfield and shown what impact it has on wildlife, walkers, and local inhabitants? Or do they just shout down any supporters with no rational reason.
How does one register on their Forum to suggest such a thing?
ChampChump liked this
Very best of luck. Personally, I think the members on that forum are a lost cause; their minds are made up and it would be a waste of energy to try and change them. However, countering any misinformation ("thousands of movements per day", "jumbo jets landing every 2 mins", "planes landing from 4am - midnight" etc. etc.) is important, so that it doesn't influence people who are on the fence or indifferent. As is emphasising the benefits to the local community, e.g. it will bring people who will visit local pubs, restaurants, etc. Perhaps not important to a pensioner with a guaranteed income; the café owner down the road however...
ChampChump liked this
By Crash one
Dave W wrote:
Crash one wrote:How does one register on their Forum to suggest such a thing?

Top right of the link posted earlier - "Log In"; it invites you to register.

Nor do I have Faceache or Twitter.
Doesn’t concern me much from Scotland, but being able to express an alternative view would be good.
ChampChump liked this
By Dave W
Crash one wrote:Log in doesn’t work.
Nor do I have Faceache or Twitter.

You have to Register (sign up) before you can log in.

If you click on "Log In" one of the options is "Sign up with email."
ChampChump liked this
By Crash one
I did click on “log in” and got nothing whatsoever, if I click and hold it asks me to make myself a website!!
However I sent an email to “chocksgoaway”.
We’ll see.
By ChampChump
There'll definitely be no pro forma generic encouragement from this end. All we want is for pros and antis to read all the documentation, when it is visible and respond accordingly. We'll answer specific questions then from villagers. Minds seem to be not quite ajar, currently, which is a bit understandable, but those canvassing protest should really study everything carefully.
cjrpaterson liked this
By r_w_walker
Best of luck Champchump,

I am waiting a decision from the planning inspectorate on my fifth appeal for a grass airstrip.

First planning application was in 2013!

However my site is in a National Park, hopefully your planning authority may be able to see the positive benefits of grass airfields.

Bob.
ChrisT, ChampChump liked this
By ChampChump
We were wondering how you were getting on. Still the birds?

We have SSSI, SPA and RAMSA sites but are outside for effective ops....there's a little microlight strip in the middle of the first of those, albeit where there's a wiggle in it.