Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By trevs99uk
JonathanB wrote:This made me laugh:
have you got planes landing 100ft over your house, every half hour, seven days a week ,10 months of the year??? No, didn't think so...

I was going to reply with this, but I can't be bothered to register on the site:

There is no chance you'll have "planes landing 100ft over your house, every half hour, seven days a week ,10 months of the year" - just go and look at movement logs for larger grass airfields than this planned strip. More likely there will be very little activity most of the week and a few more flights on weekends with nice weather. If it's too windy, wet or the clouds are too low it will be dead. And if you're really expecting aircraft to be 100ft over your house then you must live incredibly close to the ends of the proposed strip, and I see no dwellings on Google Maps/Earth in such locations, so this is mere exaggeration on your part.

Also look up the 28-day rule - a strip can be established here and used for 28-days every year with no planning permission whatsoever. http://www.permitteddevelopment.org/The ... opment.php At least with a strip with planning permission then the local authority can establish limititations on it's usage.

If someone else (@PeteSpencer?) wants to cut and paste or edit and paste, then feel free.

Which reminds me.. I read somewhere that due to the Pandemic the Government changed the 28days rule.. The period allowed for the temporary use of land under permitted development rights was extended from 28 days to 56 days at the start of the pandemic, and this is extended until 31 December 2021 by the new Regulations.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think its all pretty much academic now. There are so many comments that it will likely be called in/ go to appeal and it will be there for the appointed inspector to decide the case based on government planning policy and any local plan in place at the time of the application.

Just because there is a vociferous local who doesn't want it in the their neighbourhood, shouldn't stop a land owner doing what he wants with his land, in line with planning policy and guidance. Even if elected local councillors don't like the idea, they should be guided by their officers in accordance with planning policy and if they don't, it can end up costing local authorities a great deal of money at appeal or judicial review.
Even if elected local councillors don't like the idea, they should be guided by their officers in accordance with planning policy and if they don't, it can end up costing local authorities a great deal of money at appeal or judicial review.

In my experience, Councillors take every opportunity to influence planning officers; they are all driven by their egos.
By Flying_john
Probably true, but it then comes out in the appeals process that the guidance and advice given by the paid experts (planning officers) has been ignored and the elected members are then ridiculed for ignoring advice.
By johnm
Planning is just another broken system so getting anything done is a lottery unless you are a major developer in which case do what you like after agreeing conditions you have no intention of fulfilling and which won’t be enforced :twisted:
By ChampChump
Only six days left to register your objection.

I trust that statement meets the approval of those who do not think pilots are valid stakeholders and this isn't a news item. Here's one link to everything perceived to be wrong with the proposal -

https://www.change.org/p/dover-district ... t-mongeham

Others are available.

I'd like to link to the handy map with concentric circles, but I'm having difficulty with that.
By Rjk983
NDB_hold wrote:The petition is right about one thing: once it’s an airfield, it’s fair game for developers...

I was interested by that comment in the petition, who knew the greens would be on our side when it comes to keeping airfields classified as green rather than brown field land!
By Dave W
ChampChump wrote:I'd like to link to the handy map with concentric circles, but I'm having difficulty with that.

@ChampChump, here is the somewhat disingenuous (IMO) diagram that implies approaches from every direction and a most unrealistic indication of where aircraft will be below 1000' and 500'.