Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This topic and a number of others over the last few years have highlighted the fact that emotion and prejudice rather than reason and evidence drives people’s views. Politics inevitably responds to this, or even feeds it for reasons of self interest, and so the quality of decision making in central and local government slowly decays and we all lose out in the end.
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:'cause we're all selfish and inconsiderate at heart John. :wink:

But some of us control our vices better than others, especially those that are actually self aware :-)
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:But some of us control our vices better than others...

That'll be me you are referring to. :D
johnm wrote:...especially those that are actually self aware :-)

How does one differentiate between being self aware and believing oneself to be self aware? :wink:

PeteSpencer wrote:Marvellous response on the nimby website from the flying community who appear more than capable of expressing their opinions of support for the airstrip without resorting to tasteless and hackneyed videos.

I'm off for a look. :thumright:
By johnm
How does one differentiate between being self aware and believing oneself to be self aware?

Joking aside this is an important question and it involves challenging one's own views rather seeking ways to reinforce them.
By Miscellaneous
PeteSpencer wrote:@Miscellaneous
Don't forget to give the airstrip some support while you are there: You might recognise a few names............... :wink:

I spent ages searching their forum in vain. I now understand you were referring to FB. I don't do FB, however I now see the posts referred to and like Farmer find myself highly amused. :D
By PeteSpencer
I’ve joined the ‘Antis’ forum and linked in the post from their local MP the statement from the DfT released yesterday (no not the dateless timeless ‘I have a dream’ glossy posted here) regarding the Roadmap for GA giving in no uncertain terms government support for developing GA . Worth a read
By trevs99uk
A friend of mine was looking to Open a new airstrip near Maldon about 10 years back. The council wanted noise tests. So along came the man with his monitoring equipment and after about 2 hours of flying the aircraft in and out and overhead at various heights. The guy said sorry i will have to come back on a quieter day as i am picking up to much noise from roads nearby.
townleyc, Lockhaven, leiafee and 5 others liked this
By skydriller
trevs99uk wrote:A friend of mine was looking to Open a new airstrip near Maldon about 10 years back. The council wanted noise tests. So along came the man with his monitoring equipment and after about 2 hours of flying the aircraft in and out and overhead at various heights. The guy said sorry i will have to come back on a quieter day as i am picking up to much noise from roads nearby.

Classic !!

But unfortunately this is a very real problem.
By JonathanB
This made me laugh:
have you got planes landing 100ft over your house, every half hour, seven days a week ,10 months of the year??? No, didn't think so...

I was going to reply with this, but I can't be bothered to register on the site:

There is no chance you'll have "planes landing 100ft over your house, every half hour, seven days a week ,10 months of the year" - just go and look at movement logs for larger grass airfields than this planned strip. More likely there will be very little activity most of the week and a few more flights on weekends with nice weather. If it's too windy, wet or the clouds are too low it will be dead. And if you're really expecting aircraft to be 100ft over your house then you must live incredibly close to the ends of the proposed strip, and I see no dwellings on Google Maps/Earth in such locations, so this is mere exaggeration on your part.

Also look up the 28-day rule - a strip can be established here and used for 28-days every year with no planning permission whatsoever. http://www.permitteddevelopment.org/The ... opment.php At least with a strip with planning permission then the local authority can establish limititations on it's usage.

If someone else (@PeteSpencer?) wants to cut and paste or edit and paste, then feel free.
Flying_john, flybymike liked this