Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cessna571
This is getting more positive by the day.
The more they post rubbish online, the easier it will be to get planning permission.

All the OP has to do is sign an undertaking that he will not allow 747’s into the strip.

(What they are saying will happen and is their main worry)

and the planning committee will agree it, as local concerns will have been shown to be dealt with.

“The airfield has said no 747s will be allowed”

The concentric rings are ridiculous, so all the OP has to do is show the planning committee what will happen in reality and that will be that.

It’s like they are setting up their own straw men to enable it to go ahead.

My brother in law had a major falling out about the parking on their leased flat.

He was parking his work van there, the other residents were objecting. I told him to undertake he would have no sign writing on the van.

his reply “but, I don’t want signwritimg anyway”

Anyway, eventually he agreed to write a letter saying he undertook not to have sign writing, and all was resolved.

Same van, same spot, happy residents!

So..

No jets of any kind, ever.
No night flying.
No circuits below 1000’

What time will these weddings organised by the main objector be anyway?
Just weekends probably?
I really don’t get it that the locals aren’t more up in arms about the wedding parties that will be traipsing around. I presume they used to have a local pub. They’ll lose that for a start. It’s odd what people wish for.
By rohmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A quote from the latest Bodmin Flyer newsletter "With the change in temperature, the rest of the returning swallows on the airfield have arrived back, over one month late, and are now busy nest-building in the hangars and feeding over the airfield. The sunny weather at the month end has sent the resident skylarks into rapture and their birdsong is a joy to hear.

On the botanical front, the expected changes in the wild flower show has been marked by a barrage of bluebell, and the real ‘small’ Cornish wild flowers, which make our airfield such an important ecological site. We have now seen the emergence of wild campion, forget-me-not, wild strawberry, and even a garden escapee, as we have a lovely display of London Pride on the path leading to the clubhouse.

Again, despite one neighbour’s nonsensical assertions that we scare wildlife, the airfield abounds with birdlife, wildlife and plant life, and all enjoy sharing it with humans and aviation."
By trevs99uk
I heard that the anti/nimby brigade for the last couple of weeks have been in Deal town centre collecting signatures on a petition against the application. The usual thing with nimbys showing pictures of Jumbos jets etc etc to stud up peoples support against it.
By Flyingfemme
I understand that the US National Parks Agency favours floatplanes as a means of transport because it impacts wildlife and nature less than others.
By Cessna571
trevs99uk wrote:I heard that the anti/nimby brigade for the last couple of weeks have been in Deal town centre collecting signatures on a petition against the application. The usual thing with nimbys showing pictures of Jumbos jets etc etc to stud up peoples support against it.

That’s easy then,

Pop down with a mobile phone, take pictures, ask for a leaflet or take pictures of their material.

Submit the pictures of jumbo jets etc to planning to refute the petition.

Honestly, it’s sad isn’t it, it’s been lockdown, people have had nothing to do, they need a hobby.

It’s nothing to do with the airfield is it? It’s a hobby, it’s something to keep someone occupied.

I knew an extinction rebellionist for a while, a Lieutenant. (Yes, they give themselves ranks). It’s a hobby, it’s something for people with nothing else to do, to do. They also collect paperweights, or pigs, or some such. Anything they have to scour the internet and junk shops for.

Sad to say, nimby is a hobby for some, when you’ve got nothing else to do, no interests of your own, nimby gives you a reason to live.

I know the type of person well, my father is one (though not about aviation), we don’t get on to be honest, I don’t see them much, if ever. Sometimes I think I’m adopted.

I don’t know how this helps, I’m not sure it does, but if they’ve been off doing that, it does show they’ve nothing better to do, whilst we have actual lives, with friends.
By Think Rate
trevs99uk wrote:I heard that the anti/nimby brigade for the last couple of weeks have been in Deal town centre collecting signatures on a petition against the application. The usual thing with nimbys showing pictures of Jumbos jets etc etc to stud up peoples support against it.

I was in Deal High street and spotted the anti/nimby brigade. I must be honest I saw no Jumbo jet photos or mention of them. When I quizzed the lady there she did seem to have her facts right on the size and type of aircraft.
By NickyAsh
trevs99uk is talking utter rubbish. He knows full well that the stall presented no such images of jumbos. I know the organisers and can say categorically that has not been any talk of 747s or jumbos, it would be plainly ridiculous in the context of this airfield. This rubbish about 747s all came about because a pilot aggitator posted some nonsense about heathrow on the chocksgoaway forum, if you actually read the post it is obviously someone talking rubbish and you can read the residents all calling it out as the same. The only people mentioning 747s are a few pilots trying to stir up trouble, no resident has mentioned 747s, not once.
By Dave W
@NickyAsh I agree that accuracy from all is crucial so that everyone's concerns can be addressed fairly.

That's why, for example, it was so disappointing to me that the gravely misleading 500ft/1000ft concentric circles diagram posted earlier is being used.
By PeteSpencer
@NickyAsh

The problem is if the antis say anything with great forcefulness and apparent conviction the great unwashed in Deal high street will believe them.

Even if what they are being fed is abject tripe……

They’re playing the numbers game : the more signatures on their petitions, the more they are listened to even though many signatories have not the faintest idea what the petition is about.

Happens all the time on these ‘raise a petition / rent a mob’ websites.

The whole issue could be solved at a stroke if the responsible airfield developers were allowed to do a ‘mock landing’ along the line of the proposed runway and responsible Antis could witness this .
They would be pleasantly surprised about the ‘noise footprint’.
Sadly though it is against the law for an aeroplane to descent below 500ft above ground unless it is actually landing (or taking off of course). :wink:

Must go; there is a Spitfire circling over my house as I type and I have to get my binocs……..
By Crash one
^^^^ We tried similar when wind turbines were proposed in our downwind. Two aircraft doing circuits to show the planners what we would have to avoid.
Made no difference at all. All we got were filthy looks as if we were the scum of the earth for daring to object.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Think Rate
Dave W wrote:@NickyAsh I agree that accuracy from all is crucial so that everyone's concerns can be addressed fairly.

That's why, for example, it was so disappointing to me that the gravely misleading 500ft/1000ft concentric circles diagram posted earlier is being used.

I did the maths with those concentric circles. It works out about a 4.5 degree approach. I thought the rings were quite realistic. The downwind and dead side areas may not get overflown that low but it wasn't far off. That said I suppose a helicopter could arrive from any direction.
By Dave W
Many small strips encourage people to NOT fly circuits for precisely this reason.

Ours for example: We join long final and fly an approach that avoids houses etc. We turn as soon as possible after departure (only a small turn is required) for the same reason. Helicopters fly a similar route - they could potentially come from any direction, but they don't, at the strip owner's request.

The equivalent footprint is therefore a tiny fraction of that suggested by those circles.

It's neighbourliness, and IME most strips ask operators to do something similar.
Rob P liked this
By Sooty25
PeteSpencer wrote:@NickyAsh

The whole issue could be solved at a stroke if the responsible airfield developers were allowed to do a ‘mock landing’ along the line of the proposed runway and responsible Antis could witness this .
Sadly though it is against the law for an aeroplane to descent below 500ft above ground unless it is actually landing (or taking off of course). :wink:

Assuming the field is suitable, there is nothing to stop landing there under the 28 day usage rule.
By PeteSpencer
Sooty25 wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:@NickyAsh

Assuming the field is suitable, there is nothing to stop landing there under the 28 day usage rule.

Provided its not standing oilseed rape........................
By PeteSpencer
Dave W wrote:Many small strips encourage people to NOT fly circuits for precisely this reason.

Ours for example: We join long final and fly an approach that avoids houses etc. We turn as soon as possible after departure (only a small turn is required) for the same reason. Helicopters fly a similar route - they could potentially come from any direction, but they don't, at the strip owner's request.

My italics:
Quite so:
OTOH, we encourage, with our 5 x noise sensitive areas at all four cardinal points around our strip, an arrival Bomber Command circuit which (literally) takes visitors into the next county, to the obvious mirth of some....... :lol:

But we haven't had a noise complaint from neighbours for the 28 years I've flown from there. :wink:

We even had a gyrocopter in with off set approach which was quieter than our arrer :oops: