Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Crash one
Dave W wrote:A general observation: Isn't it interesting how many retired high-time airline flyers seem to become so anti their own industry in later life?

It is, although we have a retired ex Mil, ex long haul pilot at our strip, currently building an aircraft, cutting the grass at the strip and very keen. I also fly with another, similar, plus ex instructor.
Prob depends on whether they had the passion in the first place.
By ThePipster
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
stickandrudderman wrote:It is also sad to note that MPs will use their percieved authority to try to sway the planning committee rather than first engaging with the applicant(s).

A sentiment shared and validated by my own experience of the political classes and their approach to GA.

It is more easily understood when you realise that the number of voters on the anti-side will outweigh the number of voters on the supporters side. In the words of one MP, "Yes I know I said that the airfield was a great local asset and I still believe that, but I won't get re-elected if I am seen to publicly support the airfield.............." Sad but true. :(

Pipster
Crash one liked this
By Wide-Body
Dave W wrote:A general observation: Isn't it interesting how many retired high-time airline flyers seem to become so anti their own industry in later life?

I might just disagree. I find Many are very supportive. Most are indifferent, and the very small minority are just very vocal and do so with authority.
By Crash one
If this application had been to cover the area with wind turbines in the name of “green energy” there would have been no objections and much joy and happiness!
This country is definitely governed by serious lies from authorities in all directions. It’s about time something was done about it.
Where do we find an MP that is prepared to tell the truth regardless of his own future? :lol: :lol: :lol:
By rikur_

I don't know .... I wouldn't expect a bus driver to become a classic bike fan in retirement :twisted:
By Genghis the Engineer
Flying_john wrote:

They should be ashamed.
Again - pure nimbyism.

I don't think I've ever come across that, but I used to be involved with a Scout group who's most complaining neighbour was former CO of an army cadet unit. He was eventually shut up when the farmer from whom we rented the patch of land the Scout hut was on said that he was seriously considering evicting us and using it to store agricultural machinery, as it would be idea for getting it out to all of his land at the start of his working day (which for most farmers is clearly rather early!).

I don't think that the farmer had any actual intention of evicting us, but it seemed to get the point across admirably.

G
By G-JWTP

Mind you it's not exactly flying.

More aiming and button pushing these days.

:lol: :lol:

G-JWTP
By Lockhaven
Crash one wrote:I emailed “chocks go away” with this.
No names, no pack drill!
———————————————

As a pilot of a light aircraft, based at a similar airstrip on a farm in Scotland. I am curious to know what your real concerns are?
Wild life (birds) are flourishing all over and around our airstrip, no one to my knowledge has ever hit one in an aircraft, their nests are safe and unmolested by farming activities etc. The same applies to foxes, rabbits, hares etc.

7500 movements per year, when light aircraft usually only fly in good weather, mostly by non commercial pilots, at weekends?
This would need operations similar to London Heathrow all day Saturday and Sunday. Utterly ridiculous.

Local inhabitants. We have various rules regarding landing approaches to avoid over flying villages, houses etc and all are easily complied with.

Safety. Pilots spend a legal minimum of 45 hours training, many take a lot more than that, 99% of which is safety related. From safe handling on the ground, take off, landing, navigating near sensitive areas, emergency procedures, engine failures, forced landings etc.
Aircraft maintenance regimes are also far more stringent than those for road vehicles.

What I would suggest is that you actually go to a similar airstrip, introduce yourselves to pilots, airfield owners and ask and watch operations. Most pilots would be more than happy to take you flying and let you see just how beautiful your country is from 2000ft, a lot more beautiful than it is from ground level I can assure you!

——————————————

Replied with

Hello Mr xxxxx

In answer to some of the questions you asked in your email to us. Firstly I don't know your exact location but do you have 3 grass strips in excess of 750 metres, all very busy within 35 nautical miles from you farm strip? We do, and numerous grass strips scattered around as well. Theres plenty of options to base an aircraft within an hours drive from the proposed location.

As you say most of the 7500 flights will occur in good weather and at weekends. That coincides with most people being outside in their gardens.
It is a bit strange comparing Heathrow, the busiest dual runway in the world with a grass strip! At Heathrow using timed separation instead of distances aircraft arrive every minute from 06:00 until late into the evening. I know because I've flown 747's in there for 18 years. ergo no comparison. Or as you say "Utterly ridiculous"

Re avoiding local residents. If you really have the time and inclination zoom in on google earth. There are lots of properties that will be overflown. Impossible not to.

I have absolutely no doubt the pilots are well trained. It is in their interest if nothing else. I was a flying instructor for many years. All PPL's I met/taught were to a good standard. Thats not the concern.

There is no need to go to a similar strip to watch aircraft. Ive got 18000+ hours, taught PPL's and RAF cadets.

My opposition (and only mine) to this going ahead is the noise pollution, pollution from aircraft fuel (still containing lead), removal of hedgerows, removal of a right of way dating back beyond 1880. Theres no benefit to the community in any way shape of form.

Chocks away over.

Regards

xxxx
——————————

^^^^ Its probably person handing out the bullets for some of the ridiculous claims on the 'Chocks Go Away' website.

My opposition (and only mine) to this going ahead is the noise pollution, pollution from aircraft fuel (still containing lead)

I wonder how much pollution he/she contributed to the atmosphere during 18000 hours of flying 747s or would they just blame the airline they where flying for :roll:
By Cessna571
The Facebook page has disappeared?

Can you make a Facebook page fully private?

The crowdfunding is going well though.

I think the bit I disagree with is the organiser is doing it to protect their wedding business that they want to grow.

I don’t get it that the locals won’t mind all those cars and wedding parties trapsing through the village, yet are prepared to give their own money (thousands of pounds of it) to stop a green field being conserved as a green field.

It’ll be funny when they realise what they are protecting.

Although, some deeper googling shows a possible link with the wedding business, by nimbys, but it might be circumstantial/same names by chance.
By malcolmfrost
Lockhaven wrote:I wonder how much pollution he/she contributed to the atmosphere during 18000 hours of flying 747s or would they just blame the airline they where flying for :roll:

It's actually the passengers' fault, after all if they didn't buy tickets the aircraft wouldn't fly!!
By PeteSpencer
Of course there is an argument that scores of ostensibly well-wishing pilots offering airstrip support on the 'antis' FB page and relishing a fly-in might actually be harmful to the airstrip developer's cause............................. :wink:
I think I’m in danger of letting my personal hatred of NIMBYs following an orchestrated campaign against us for our retirement pad permission a few years ago get the better of me.
I'm backing off to await developments.
Gas Guzzler liked this