Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Whoever they are, they have a future in aviation ahead of them.

The airmanship post-failure to ensure they force land within staggering range of a fine distillery for appropriate debriefing facilities is simply outstanding :twisted:
Iceman, Wide-Body, kanga and 10 others liked this
I agree about the proximity to a pub!*

Looks like an Alpi Pioneer (or similar); well done to the pilot for landing wheels up; much safer in a retractable, I believe.

Rob

*ps if inland in the UK, look for a field close to a Church with a spire or tower...most villages with one or the other also has a pub; somewhere suitable to await the Emergency Services!
Rob P liked this
Looks like the north end of the bay, close to the old airstrip (which last time I was there would take your wheels off!)

And there is nothing wrong with an aged Jura - less acidic than the Islay whiskeys and conveniently located at the southern end of this bay (if it is where I think it is).

Best of luck in recovering the aircraft and enjoying the local produce.
MikeB wrote:
Rob L wrote:Looks like an Alpi Pioneer (or similar); well done to the pilot for landing wheels up; much safer in a retractable, I believe.

The Pioneer POH recommends gear up and flapless for a forced landing "as experience shows it results in less damage to the aircraft"

I think I’d prefer the POH to make a recommendation based on survivability? Maybe that’s the same? Maybe it’s not? But that’s the only thing I’d be concerned with.
MikeB liked this
MikeB wrote:I haven't flown any other aircraft with retractable gear so don't know - is the POH recommendation to force-land gear up in any other type?

Yes. My RF3 flight manual, the original French language one from ALPAVIA says that outlandings on to uncertain terrain should be made 'gear up'. No mention of flaps though, the Fournier doesn't have 'em. It does have little skids on its belly though for just such an eventuality.
MikeB liked this