Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Shoestring Flyer that pattern looks very similar to that from our GTX330ES
By Shoestring Flyer
johnm wrote:@Shoestring Flyer that pattern looks very similar to that from our GTX330ES

Ok, thats good....
However don't think you are going to get any Flarm pattern from a GTX330ES!
By johnm
Shoestring Flyer wrote:
johnm wrote:@Shoestring Flyer that pattern looks very similar to that from our GTX330ES

Ok, thats good....

Not that bothered about transmitting FLARM, but quite interested in receiving it.
By Shoestring Flyer
johnm wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:

Ok, thats good....

Not that bothered about transmitting FLARM, but quite interested in receiving it.

Ordinary basic Flarm which most gliders output is a very weak signal so with the unpredictability of glider movement you need them to see you, as well as you see them. Ordinary Flarm only has a range of 3km max so the chances of you seeing them at all is not that good!
That is why I went with PowerFlarm for the stronger signal output then the gliders hopefully will see me as well as me seeing them!
By CloudHound
@Shoestring Flyer how near is your PAW external to your transponder aerial?

After reading up on the various fora I decided to go with the extended internal dipoles in the top of the screen.
By Shoestring Flyer
CloudHound wrote:@Shoestring Flyer how near is your PAW external to your transponder aerial?

After reading up on the various fora I decided to go with the extended internal dipoles in the top of the screen.

I don't have a PAW at all.
I have PowerFlarmFusionADSB, but external antenna fitting principle is the same.
You need the transponder antenna (1090Mhz) as far away as you can get from the 848Mhz ( PAW/Flarm) antenna.
My transponder antenna is approx 72inches(6ft) away from my Flarm antenna and ADSB 'in' antenna. In addition the ADSB 'in' antenna is approx 28inches away from the Flarm antenna.
I also have an internal top antenna for PowerFlarm. Fusion has antenna diversity facility so you can if you wish have a bottom and top antenna.
Hope this helps. PM me if you need more info.
DirkGently liked this
By gaznav
Here is a CAP1391 SkyEcho 2 mounted on the side window in a RAF Sport Aircraft PA-28. More than sufficient for the purposes it was designed for and a pretty even pattern having flown a lot in recent weeks (it seems the more you fly, the more the gaps get filled in the polar diagram as expected):

By the way, all RAF Sport Aircraft’s clubs will soon have SkyEcho 2 to use, having recently bought a large consignment for their member’s use. I believe that the RAF Gliding & Soaring Assoc are doing the same.

I even saw a paraglider at the Malverns last weekend using a SkyEcho. Highly unlikely I would have spotted them at the range that my SkyEcho first detected them (about 15 miles away), and when I did see them with my eyes at about 2 miles distance it was quite a surprise. I’ve been using the bluetooth connectivity to my iPad running SkyDemon connected to a cheap bone conducting headset (£9.99 on eBay) - it works a treat. Even though the iPad is now sticky velcro’d to the instrument panel, I very rarely need to look at it.
By ls8pilot
I've seen quite a few paragliders on Flarm this season, so it seems it is getting more common with that community.... I wonder if that's due to the EC initiative as well?
gaznav liked this
By TLRippon
As an aside, Leicester now has an Atom ground station in the tower. This nicely plugs a gap in coverage up the centre of the country. As this network spreads, PAW users will find antenna placement for receipt of ground stations becomes more relevant.
By Shoestring Flyer
ls8pilot wrote:I've seen quite a few paragliders on Flarm this season, so it seems it is getting more common with that community.... I wonder if that's due to the EC initiative as well?

Yes it seems Flarm has recently come to the Paraglider community. I came across one the other day in Derbyshire at 3200ft (!) emitting Flarm.
By leemoore1966
Its great to see more uptake, but please be aware of what you are seeing electronically versus what you are not seeing (depending upon your system)
Here is a 60km screenshot from the ATOM at Turweston just now 22/4/2021 8:17 UTC

Emitter Keys to identify
Code: Select allO - Combined OGN formats (Flarm, FANET, OGN)
P - PilotAware
M - ModeS/3D Multilaterated
A - ADSB / DF17
a - CAP1391 / DF18

l/r - (local / remote last data ping)
By patowalker
The top four may be of interest, but why would anyone want to know about aircraft more tjhan 28km away? Am I missing something?
By leemoore1966
patowalker wrote:The top four may be of interest, but why would anyone want to know about aircraft more tjhan 28km away? Am I missing something?

Ahh maybe I wasn't clear
This is showing the types of emitters that are currently broadcasting.
The point I was (badly) trying to make, is that it is very important to concentrate on the emitters your are not able to see, which in some cases will be a selection of
- ModeS (3D/Multilaterated)
- FANET
- OGN

Thx
Lee
patowalker liked this
By G-JWTP
leemoore1966 wrote:Its great to see more uptake, but please be aware of what you are seeing electronically versus what you are not seeing (depending upon your system)
Here is a 60km screenshot from the ATOM at Turweston just now 22/4/2021 8:17 UTC

Emitter Keys to identify
Code: Select allO - Combined OGN formats (Flarm, FANET, OGN)
P - PilotAware
M - ModeS/3D Multilaterated
A - ADSB / DF17
a - CAP1391 / DF18

l/r - (local / remote last data ping)

Hi Lee,

What's the decode for the uplink?

G-JWTP