Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
gaznav wrote:
A jet doing a low level sortie at 600kts would have 16 seconds - assuming perfect reception

Most jets in the low flying system stooge around at 420KIAS. :thumright:

And most are not broadcasting their position. So probably a moot point. :wink:
gaznav liked this
By ls8pilot
Some interesting stuff in the "official" Flarm document on Antenna placement

Q: What is the minimum required range for a timely warning?
A: When flying at or below 250 kt, a range of 2 nm (3 704 m) forward and 1 nm to the side and behind will give the pilots a warning at least 15 seconds before closest convergence. Any range beyond that may be useful for tactical purposes but it adds very little to safety. Calculation: Worst case below 10 000 ft is normally two aircraft converging at 250 kt each -> 500 kt closing speed -> 257 m/s For a 15 second warning -> 3 858 m -> 2.08 nm The profile of a glider when seen from straight ahead at 2 nm distance is about as thick as a human hair held at arm’s length; almost impossible to see... The FLARM Range Analyzer (see Section 3.1.1) indicates the recommended range for a typical GA aircraft.

Q: Can you tell me if my antenna installation will perform well?
A: No, we will not be able to predict how your particular installation will perform. You have better knowledge of the material used in your airplane than we do. Stick to the guidelines in this document and your installation should be OK for collision avoidance. If you want to get extended range, you will have to do some testing.

This document also has some background on the different antenna types which would also be relevant to PAW or ADSB systems....

https://flarm.com/wp-content/uploads/man/FTD-041-Application-Note-FLARM-Antenna-Installation.pdf
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
I have fitted a GAV-868 for Flarm on the 'Bottom' of the fuselage.
https://www.gps.co.uk/product/antenna-e ... 868-flarm/
and used the internal supplied antenna for the 'Top' antenna.
For ADSB 'in' on the bottom of the fuselage just an ordinary TED Tx antenna:-
https://www.gps.co.uk/product/ted-stub- ... r-antenna/

Positioning of the antenna is the key to getting a good outcome. I spent hours pondering on the positioning of mine and luckily it has worked out well. Your normal existing, if you have one, Transponder needs to be positioned ideally 2metres away from the Flarm antenna and at least 1mtere from your Comm antenna. Also Your ADSB in needs to be a 1metre from your Flarm antenna.
As I say positioning of the Antennas is very important also taking in to account 'masking' from undercarriage etc.
Forfoxake liked this
By gaznav
Yes, certainly was busy this lunchtime. Lots of FLARM and ADS-B seen. Also, I’m suddenly getting much larger detection ranges of SkyEcho2 than before shown on the Pilot Aware Vector - out to 31nm/58km.
This is the Aircrew App showing multiple stations tracking.
No change in location, just suckered on the side window:

Has there been an adjustment in the ground station software, or something??
By Straight Level
I did a quick test of the new Safe Sky app today on the return leg while I was in the passenger seat.

Absolutely useless.

On the ground I see the little blinking green 'icon' that lets you know data is being received.
In the air, it happily sat there blinking red. Not once did I see an upload of any aircraft positions.

I also had installed a GSM network analyser app that shows the received signal strength from the connected cell tower.
This also showed that the signal at 3,500ft was virtually non existent (as expected).

I wonder if the developers have actually flight tested in the UK?

SL
gaznav liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trundled down to Perranporth yesterday, SE2 saw a few aircraft but I reckon probably less than half those we knew about. Largely useless at both airports.
By Flyin'Dutch'
johnm wrote:Trundled down to Perranporth yesterday, SE2 saw a few aircraft but I reckon probably less than half those we knew about. Largely useless at both airports.

I am not sure what you have done with your set up or what the soaring conditions were yesterday but I have a SE2 with the FLARM sub from SkyDemon and the screen was full with gliders.

If you are sure your set-up is fine and you remain dissatisfied, drop me a PM and I will buy the SE from you, you can then:

a) Buy a PAW or, what I suspect will be the best solution for you

b) Buy and get installed a Powerflarm installation.
By johnm
@Flyin'Dutch'

I was a bit surprised, but from Gloucester to Perranporth we didn't see much at all. I had expected to see activity around Nympsfield and Aston Down, but no. I will double check that my Skydemon sub is properly activated, which I hadn't thought of.

I didn't see the traffic around Glos or around Perranporth, but did see a few enroute none of which were a significant factor.
By tnowak
Does anyone know what the paraglider community are using for EC?
I was getting SE2 "FLARM" detection from a bunch of them on Sunday who were flying along a ridge to the south of Butser Hill (near Petersfield, Hants).
By ls8pilot
tnowak wrote:Does anyone know what the paraglider community are using for EC?
I was getting SE2 "FLARM" detection from a bunch of them on Sunday who were flying along a ridge to the south of Butser Hill (near Petersfield, Hants).

[url]
https://naviter.com/2019/09/how-it-works-fanet/[/url]

Fanet transmits a simple form of Flarm, and some pg kit also has full Flarm. Seems to have really caught on this yeat judging by the number of contacts on OGN
gaznav liked this
By xtophe
johnm wrote:I was a bit surprised, but from Gloucester to Perranporth we didn't see much at all. I had expected to see activity around Nympsfield and Aston Down, but no.

What time (and which day)? for the whole BH weekend we had late starting soaring conditions. not much happening before 1pm.
By johnm
xtophe wrote:
johnm wrote:I was a bit surprised, but from Gloucester to Perranporth we didn't see much at all. I had expected to see activity around Nympsfield and Aston Down, but no.

What time (and which day)? for the whole BH weekend we had late starting soaring conditions. not much happening before 1pm.

Sunday and we were gone well before noon and back around 18.00 so might have missed the window.
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:I will double check that my Skydemon sub is properly activated, which I hadn't thought of.

johnm wrote:Sunday and we were gone well before noon and back around 18.00 so might have missed the window.

One could be forgiven for concluding you just don't want your SE2 to work. :whistle: :whistle: