Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Picked up a Design4 pilots A6 kneeboard a couple of weeks ago as being a better size for my sky ranger cockpit. For years on every other kneeboard, like with maps, I've used staedtler permanent fine markers to write information on the clear plastic sheet with a diy pilot log underneath and removed afterwards with a bit of meths.

DON'T DO THAT!

Nothing will get permanent marker off the Design4pilots clear plastic sheet. So far I've tried isopropyl alcohol, meths, nail polish remover pads and finally pure acetone. The acetone has started to dissolve the plastic sheet.

I queried this with Design4Pilots and they said that you should test first on a small bit. Probably good advice but after years of using permanent markers on all my kneeboards in the past, I honestly didn't think it would be an issue.

I'm now working out how to unstitch the current piece of plastic and replace it with one from an old, larger board I no longer use.

Just something to bear in mind if you're thinking of buying one of their kneeboards which are, in all other respects, excellent for the purpose. Use a chinagraph only.
PeteSpencer wrote:Aren’t permanent marker pens supposed to be, er, permanent? :roll:

There are a lot of things in this world that ain't what they're supposed to be - permanent marker pens included. When I used to have to wear a flying suit with kneeboards for work I used "permanent" pens because the water-soluble ones proved to be more reliably named and you could get to the aircraft on a rainy night and find out that you no longer knew where you were heading.
Chinagraphs have served me well for 29 years: I even keep a pencil sharpener in my flight bag. :shock:

Waterproof, sweaty hand proof, removable without trace with a good rub with a tissue or gloved finger, harmless to half mils, knee-boards: Grobag knee pockets,no batteries required, notcheable at 10nm intervals, write on china,
Available in standard 'pencil' format, wind off paper/string format or retractable with 'refills'. No inflammable solvents required....Whats not to like?

Edit to pre-empt the inevitable

Peter :wink:
edit: how time flies!
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO, kanga, Rob P liked this
Peter - I always found the wind-off ones fiddly to wind off, I often lost the refills out of the retractable ones and I'm not organised enough to always have a pencil sharpener to hand. I also found that they leave a line so thick that I can't get much information on a kneeboard and on a chart they can obscure entire counties.
JAFO wrote:Peter - I always found the wind-off ones fiddly to wind off, I often lost the refills out of the retractable ones and I'm not organised enough to always have a pencil sharpener to hand. I also found that they leave a line so thick that I can't get much information on a kneeboard and on a chart they can obscure entire counties.

Have you ever calculated the width of the 'magenta line'? At least 1/2 NM I estimate. And the SD aeroplane icon has a wingspan of 2-3 Nautical miles at least :wink:

Solution: Get organised, buy a piece of string, several chinagraphs blue, black and even red if you're not night flying and a pencil sharpener. :lol:
JAFO, kanga liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:Chinagraphs have served me well for 25 years: ..

.. and have the 'hangar/apron cred' bonus that their marks take no time at all to make virgin white RAF flying gloves look 'skygodlike' well-worn :wink:
PeteSpencer wrote:Have you ever calculated the width of the 'magenta line'? At least 1/2 NM I estimate. And the SD aeroplane icon has a wingspan of 2-3 Nautical miles at least

I think you will find that depends upon the scale you have the screen set to... :wink: