Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
lobstaboy wrote:
I'm sure we all hope you make it further than your 70th birthday - PMDs are valid til then and need renewing every three years after that

Here's a thing. I lodged a PMD before my 70th birthday because of some foolishness with my then AME

I didn't renew on my 70th as by then I had a perfectly good Class 2

When I couldn't renew my Class 2 last year, due Covid, I again lodged a PMD. Does that now expire on its third anniversary, or when I reach 73?

Rob P
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:
Forfoxake wrote:Only if you wish to fly aircraft heavier than this (up to 5700kg), and your licence allows it, do you need to sign up to the 5700kg requirements.

Am I correct in my belief that providing you can meet the 5700kg requirements (equivalent to a commercial driving licence medical?) the PMD is valid for non Part 21 until 70, providing there is no deterioration?

The 5700kg requirements are far more stringent than those of a comercial driving licence.

(a) any alcohol or drug abuse, addiction or misuse;
(b) any neurological condition requiring medication;
(c) any functional disability likely to impair safe operation of normal flight controls;
(d) any recent surgery or new medical treatment;
(e) any collapse, fainting (syncope), seizure or loss of consciousness;
(f) any history of (a) to (e); or

(g) other medical conditions specified by the CAA:
i. Being prescribed medication for any psychiatric illness
ii. Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or other psychotic illness, or a diagnosis of personality disorder
iii. Dementia or cognitive impairment
iv. Being prescribed medication or treatment for angina or heart failure
v. Cardiac surgical procedures including coronary angioplasty or stenting and cardiac device implantation
vi. Insulin treatment for diabetes
vii. Chronic lung disease with shortness of breath on exertion

If any of the above are present the applicant must visit an AME and apply for a LAPL or Class 2 medical certificate (as appropriate to the privileges that they are seeking to exercise)
Miscellaneous liked this
By Miscellaneous
@Forfoxake I have been off checking what PMD I declared in March and see it is to a Group 1 driving licence standard, that's a car licence. It's the same for Part 21 & non Part 21. There's no mention of mass on the PMD. Confusion reigns, I'm afraid. :?

I think I'll just get on and fly and revisit it next April. :wink:

EDIT: @patowalker thanks, I'd happily sign up to those conditions too. As I say above, I don't see any mention of mass on the PMD declared in March prior to the new system. Looking at the new system it also makes mention of Group 1 driving licence. I don't see a 5700kg declaration option. :?
Last edited by Miscellaneous on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
patowalker wrote:
(d) any recent surgery or new medical treatment

A week, a month, three months? What is 'recent'

Rob P
flybymike liked this
By C1FF
The current CAA PMD format appears unnecessarily complex and therefore causes confusion. It's a "Medical Declaration" and therefore we should only be declaring whether we meet the 5700Kg or 2000Kg criterior. Having declared our medical status, the rest is a licence related issue.

If anyone is in a position to influence the CAA, please ask them to make it simple.
By Miscellaneous
@Gustosomerset for the purpose of the medical question I would consider the unconscious state of sleep (maybe more of a subconscious state?) an entirely different state than when having 'passed out'. :D

I don't see a conflict in the question.
By MattL
Who is flying an aircraft heavier than 2000kg?

Most of the people I deal with who have been getting wound up about the up to 5700kg wording have no need of the higher level.
gaznav, ls8pilot liked this
By Gustosomerset
Miscellaneous wrote:@Gustosomerset for the purpose of the medical question I would consider the unconscious state of sleep (maybe more of a subconscious state?) an entirely different state than when having 'passed out'. :D

I don't see a conflict in the question.

How are you measurably more conscious when asleep than when 'passed out'? What is the difference in your level of consciousness?

I realise this may be drifting into a philosophical black hole, but my serious point remains that the PMD requirements as worded are absurd when taken at face value, which they may very well be by an insurance company's lawyer one day.)
By Miscellaneous
Gustosomerset wrote:How are you measurably more conscious when asleep than when 'passed out'? What is the difference in your level of consciousness?

When asleep there is an awareness that does not exist when unconscious.

Have you never had a general anesthetic, for example? :D
By Miscellaneous
MattL wrote:Most of the people I deal with who have been getting wound up about the up to 5700kg wording have no need of the higher level.

I understood the concern about the 5700kg wording was because initially there was no option for under 2000kg? :?
By matthew_w100
I like to fly in Europe, on my FCL PPL. What are the chances that European countries will be doing the necessary to satisfy 6.b.ii.2:

"2) with the permission of the relevant authority, in the airspace of another country, " ?