Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Gustosomerset
Miscellaneous wrote:
Gustosomerset wrote:How are you measurably more conscious when asleep than when 'passed out'? What is the difference in your level of consciousness?

When asleep there is an awareness that does not exist when unconscious.

Have you never had a general anesthetic, for example? :D

Yes I have. But anyway, let's forget the 'degrees of consciousness' debate. How about: "(d) any recent surgery or new medical treatment, (f) any history of... (d)"
If you've had a general anaesthetic, I'm guessing you therefore have a history of surgery, so that's us both ruled out again... :)
flybymike liked this
By Miscellaneous
Gustosomerset wrote:I'm guessing you therefore have a history of surgery, so that's us both ruled out again... :)

I would suggest not. The minor surgery I had (albeit under a general) was 10yrs ago, and more importantly has been declared at numerous Class 2s since. :thumright: I would have no issue declaring I meet the requirements.

@Rob P I as a non medic would not consider cataract removal as a disqualifying surgery providing there were no complications. I do understand any concern though. I think I'm verging on paranoia. Oh the irony of that disqualifying me. :lol:

Where's Frank when you need him? :wink:
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:I would suggest not. The minor surgery I had (albeit under a general) was 10yrs ago, and more importantly has been declared at numerous Class 2s since. :thumright: I would have no issue declaring I meet the requirements.

I think you're right. It would be absurd to have to consult an AME to get clearance for a condition that has been declared and did not prevent the issuance of a LAPL or Class 2 in the past.

If any of the above are present the applicant must visit an AME and apply for a LAPL or Class 2 medical certificate (as appropriate to the privileges that they are seeking to exercise)
By Miscellaneous
patowalker wrote:I think you're right. It would be absurd to have to consult an AME to get clearance for a condition that has been declared and did not prevent the issuance of a LAPL or Class 2 in the past.

Indeed, my reasonable interpretation is that the requirement to consult an AME refers to conditions not previously notified/cleared/recorded.
By Gustosomerset
Yes, it's absurd that the PMD requirements make no reference to excepting a condition that has been declared and did not prevent the issuance of a LAPL or Class 2 in the past. But they don't. So no such exception exists.
flybymike liked this
By ls8pilot
gaznav wrote:@MattL Exactly, everything I fly these days is less than 1,000kgs. The Supermunk isn’t exactly small!!!

I was hoping for an Antonov An-2 for Xmas, but guess I may have to pass on that now, would have made a nice runabout :lol:
gaznav liked this
By Forfoxake
MattL wrote:Who is flying an aircraft heavier than 2000kg?

Most of the people I deal with who have been getting wound up about the up to 5700kg wording have no need of the higher level.

The problem was that those of us with Part-FCL licences were only allowed to sign up to the 5700kg medical requirements, even if we only wanted to fly aircraft no greater than 2000kg. This was particularly bizarre in the the case of LAPL holders who are only allowed to fly aircraft no greater than 2000kg.

Fortunately this has been fixed for at least a year by the second of these exemptions (though not sure why the first was required).

As far as the confusing 5700kg requirements are concerned, I particularly like

"(f) any history of... new medical treatment (d)"
JAFO, flybymike liked this
By Miscellaneous
Gustosomerset wrote:How about: "(d) any recent surgery or new medical treatment, (f) any history of... (d)"
If you've had a general anaesthetic, I'm guessing you therefore have a history of surgery, so that's us both ruled out again... :)

I disagree with your interpretation. Surgery 10yrs ago is not recent, nor a condition that exists. As for the poorly worded (f) any history of... the fact the surgery has been declared and a medical has been issued several times since satisfies the requirement to visit an AME. :D

EDIT: I still don't see how to declare anything other than a Group 1 driving licence equivalent PMD. :?
By townleyc
patowalker wrote:They do, as long as you arrive in a microlight.

But not in a 600Kg one, as I understand

KE
By ls8pilot
The last PMD I signed did'nt give you chance to tick the <2000Kg exemption if you had a Part FCL licence - I'm assuming I dont need to sign another one - has anyone done the Cellma PMD since this exemption bought into force & is the wording different ?
By malcolmfrost
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Just need someone to explain to the French that L2K etc would be much busier after covid if they accept Les Rosbifs avec PMD...

I've written today to the DCA for Guernsey making that point for Guernsey and Alderney. Will report back......
GAFlyer4Fun liked this
By Forfoxake
ls8pilot wrote:The last PMD I signed did'nt give you chance to tick the <2000Kg exemption if you had a Part FCL licence - I'm assuming I dont need to sign another one - has anyone done the Cellma PMD since this exemption bought into force & is the wording different ?

I made a new Cellma PMD this morning. It allows you to tick as many licence types as you like and, in all cases, even just LAPL and/or NPPL, it asks you to confirm whether you will only fly aircraft no greater than 2000kg or up to 5700kg.