Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well done PPLMEIR in another thread for flagging this, as I was between jobs, I chose to scan it.

pplmeir wrote:While I am not aware of the background leading up you feeling the need to write this letter to the CAA, as a standalone document, I must say that I am learning with those that fail to see how some of the choices and style in there will help.

I have no issue with folk sending personal opinions or having constructive debate, but as a publisher the letter is also mentioning the collective. Not sure how you elicited input from the collective to the extent that you feel you have the ability to also represent those accordingly in that tone of words.

While writing are you aware CAA issued this today
https://caa.us4.list-manage.com/track/c ... 6ef9cd8b30

It appears to be an honest summary of a lot of responses. Here's a few cherry-picked ..

- Lots of us said that the USA is the main place to learn from

- Due to overwhelming response on the point, there is to be a 12 month programme of rationalising and simplifying licencing.

- Permission for national licence holders to fly part 21 aeroplanes will be made permanent as soon as DfT get around to it. [Although I noticed that the report failed to mention that the present exemption in ORS4 1471 is limiting everybody to day-VFR.]

- There will also be a study of rationalisation of maintenance requirements, looking particularly to whether US practices can be borrowed.

- And an attempt to simplify and rationalise medical requirements.

- Correspondents are overwhelmingly in favour of creating a GA "change panel" with wide and inclusive membership.

Interesting. It makes the right noises, and is being specific about timescales. They seem prepared to listen. But we've also all seen multiple ongoing complaints (some from me!) about CAA attitudes and behaviours, so the proof of the pudding will definitely be in the eating.

G
NDB_hold, kanga liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
G-JWTP wrote:They also said they were going to look at the IR.

G-JWTP

Checking, they do.

Tactical Project 1, Review : Instrument Ratings (offer more proportionate regulation).

Although my views on their ability to actually issue them have been published elsewhere!

G
G-JWTP liked this
By Snorker
Well dip me in batter and call me a haddock, have I just read a positive and clear document from the CAA? Credit where credit's due....

Now, about that change of address form....

#pleasefortheloveofgodsortthebasics

In the meantime BZ :thumright:
T6Harvard liked this
By johnm
EASA has already started down the road of mirroring the FARs hence “part 21” so this idea isn’t new, but maybe it could go faster without the need to achieve consensus across 30 countries
By Genghis the Engineer
Part 21 has the same regulation number to apply to similar areas of activity, but actually is a totally different document, working quite unalike.

25/25, 23/23 are very very similar, but 21 and 21 aren't.

G
By johnm
I only used Part 21 as an example of the structure, I'm well aware that there is a long way to go. However the point is that idea of converging with FAA is not new and EASA who already have a BASA in place and under development have been working on this for a while.

Progress is always slow on these matters and whether we can go faster down the same road is an open question....
By Stampe
Some promising potential changes and perhaps more important a recognition by the CAA of how shockingly bad their performance has become.Page 27 has me a little worried ....who could they be thinking of?

“Appoint a CAA GA ‘just culture’
champion who is a current GA pilot and member of GA Unit staff “
There cannot be many possibilities!
Regards Fly safe Stampe
By johnm
This made me howl with laughter........
By Irv Lee
Stampe wrote:Page 27 has me a little worried ....who could they be thinking of?

“Appoint a CAA GA ‘just culture’
champion who is a current GA pilot and member of GA Unit staff “

That stood out for me too, I thought he was one of the main problems
By Snorker
I'm reliably informed it is not who you are thinking, as the "he" you refer too isn't a member of the GA Unit, "he" is a member of the much larger Airspace and Aerodromes team. This therefore, presumably, is someone who the GA unit feel can help to either replace or at least temper some others bullish attitudes.
By Stampe
Reassuring in that case.Having many years of introducing and then applying “just culture” in the airline world in an earlier life the CAA and NATS have a lot to learn on the subject!
Regards Fly safe fly defensively fly compliant Stampe.
By Irv Lee
Stampe wrote:Reassuring in that case.

Sadly I found the management chain were driving it all too.
It would be more reassuring if it isn't someone with a military background or spending most of the flying time in airways.
Stampe liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
The CAA came out with a similar thing a while back. Grant Schapps’s red tape challenge was part of it.

I look forward to these changes but I am not holding my breath.
Stampe liked this