Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By NDB_hold
Are Manchester likely to agree to a routing direct to Barton via their overhead? The obvious routing from here would take me via the Macclesfield South VRP and direct overhead Manchester. Assuming that via the overhead (or one or other end of the runway at their request) would be the best routing for them, do they generally accept that or insist on the LLC (which is quite a dogleg for me - almost quicker to go round via the north)

The thread on cafes has made me lust after a freshly cooked pizza...
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
At the moment you stand a good chance as it is very quiet - I went straight line Spanhoe to Barton last week with crossings straight through E Mids and Man. once the big boys get going again it will be much harder to get this.
By James Chan
do they generally accept that or insist on the LLC

During Covid times it's easy.

In normal times it will depend on the time of day. You can have a look at Manchester Airport's scheduled arrivals and departures to get a rough idea of how busy they are.

If the LLC doesn't take your fancy then a clearance could also be sought from Liverpool.
NDB_hold liked this
By rightofway
Transits through the CTR have been fairly common and easy to achieve at present. Certainly as their traffic picks up this will start to reduce in likelihood so always have a backup option planned just in case.

When departing Barton, if you ask the ops team when you book out they can often liaise with Manchester prior to you getting airborne to facilitate an easy clearance for the return flight.

Ps, the new Pizza ovens at Runway26 should be up and running soon, looks tasty!
By BoeingBoy
High chance of acceptance at the moment but do please put some planning into your flight. Ask for what you want in clear concise language (remember there are still jets needing to be radar vectored on frequency) and you'll probably be given every assistance.

Don't do what I heard someone doing last weekend when flying from Yorkshire through to Wales. The pilot kept asking for one route after another despite being cleared for all of them, then wanted an overhead the VOR despite his destination being well West of the zone.

In the end the controller had to warn him that he was about to fly through the Barton ATZ and asked for his intentions. The pilot hadn't even considered its existence.

What started out as a friendly helpful controllers voice ended with increasing frustration and a sigh of relief when he changed to enroute frequency.

Pre-flight planning and a confident tone will get you the best results.
By chevvron
BoeingBoy wrote:In the end the controller had to warn him that he was about to fly through the Barton ATZ and asked for his intentions. The pilot hadn't even considered its existence.

What started out as a friendly helpful controllers voice ended with increasing frustration and a sigh of relief when he changed to enroute frequency.

Pre-flight planning and a confident tone will get you the best results.

Oh god, earwig oh again. :roll:
By Paul_Sengupta
rightofway wrote:Ps, the new Pizza ovens at Runway26 should be up and running soon, looks tasty!

Was it just me who took a few seconds to realise that "Runway26" was probably the name of a restaurant? :D
By foxmoth
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
rightofway wrote:Ps, the new Pizza ovens at Runway26 should be up and running soon, looks tasty!

Was it just me who took a few seconds to realise that "Runway26" was probably the name of a restaurant? :D

Don't worry too much, they are changing the name as well, they did tell me what to but then they plied me with prosecco and Pizza so can,t remember what it will be! :)
By kanga
Paul_Sengupta wrote:.. I did have visions of the pizza oven sitting next to the runway to operate some sort of .. "fly through".

:)

"The old skill of airborne message pickup still being practiced by the Squadron in Malaya in 1960"
By skydriller
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Well, I did have visions of the pizza oven sitting next to the runway to operate some sort of "drive in" or "fly through".

Kinda like this :

Paul_Sengupta liked this