Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ibra
Had to fly there twice for training & test few weeks ago, hats off to Jersey ATC for 3 things:

- The only choice I had to fly an ILS during a renewal test as every airport in west of France had it's ILS U/S or no ATC: Rennes, Brest, Quimper, Lorient...

- To allow the visit for training & exam, in both occasions we did not even touch the ground

- After go-around, EGJJ ATC gave 180 heading and direct LERAK, felt like a bonus and relief in bumpy clouds when the examiner decided to fiddle with the throttles, there was some confusion inside my head if we are going standard departure back to France (as cleared before approach) or going missed approach to overhead (probably freestyle with no ADF), but timely ATC instructions cleared the mess and no one else noticed :lol:
Flyin'Dutch', Iceman, AlanM and 1 others liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Channel Islands ATC are very efficient and accommodating. One of the few places where it’s easy to get a pop-up IFR clearance if the weather’s pants for your VFR flight-planned arrival. Every type of approach available, bar a PAR. And you might even get to speak to the very helpful Alan M of this parish :D.

Iceman 8)
Ibra, AlanM, PropPeter and 1 others liked this
By Ibra
Iceman wrote:The Channel Islands ATC are very efficient and accommodating. One of the few places where it’s easy to get a pop-up IFR clearance if the weather’s pants for your VFR flight-planned arrival. Every type of approach available, bar a PAR. And you might even get to speak to the very helpful Alan M of this parish :D.

Iceman 8)

Yes one can fly any approach they wish down there, will surely pop up there when things are back to the old days :thumleft:

Not first time I got help from Jersey, I once landed at Cherbourg on fuel & customs stop to find their self-service Total Pump U/S (was not Notamed) and no soul was around as the whole airport terminal was in renovation after thw takeover by Eidis, I think I had less than 1h of fuel and hard choice between Granvillle into wind or quick to Jersey over water, called Jersey aeroclub, ATC & Customs and went to get enough cheap fuel to finish my day to LaBaule but I had to re-do customs stop in Cherbourg a second time, it was a symbolic one :lol:

Total & BP cards = fuel independence but I do now make sure to give few phone calls
Iceman, AlanM liked this
By AlanM
@Ibra - glad you got the renewal done successfully. Thank you for the kind words. I think I remember the flight.

It is remarkably seemless coming to to us from Iroise/Armor/Rennes sectors.

PM me if you need anything at any time - but seems like you have it all under control :thumleft:
Ibra liked this
By Ibra
AlanM wrote:@Ibra - glad you got the renewal done successfully. Thank you for the kind words. I think I remember the flight.

It is remarkably seemless coming to to us from Iroise/Armor/Rennes sectors.

PM me if you need anything at any time - but seems like you have it all under control :thumleft:

All sorted thanks, small world and thanks again for accomodating the request, I will surely make it full stop the next time Alan !
AlanM liked this
By chevvron
Ibra wrote:Image

Do you guys really fly round looking at ridiculously cluttered and complicated displays like that for your navigation?
If so I'm not surprised you infringe. :twisted:
Ibra liked this
By Ibra
Haha, I fly "SD VFR mode" all the time, it helps to keep a good view of OCAS/CAS situation, even under IFR, but I am starting to get maniac: last time I found myself trying to avoid busting the green "V" and red "I" circles plotted near every airport with METAR :eye:

Some relaxed pilots will switch to "SD airway mode" it helps with de-clutter, but the brave inconcious ones go for "SD off mode" :lol:
AlanM liked this
By Ibra
Paris Orly controller once was puzzled when I asked if I am still allowed to fly prohibited area LFP25, she mentioned I am automatically cleared inside if I am cleared to ILS, but told me in the last 10 years of doing her job I am the only pilot who asked such silly question, I checked AIP later and it's mentioned, so just my SkyDemon brain fart moment :lol:

Well it was not very clear as it's not normal ILS: cleared for RNP intial approach, then own nvigation, then radar vector, then cleared for conventional ILS final approach...

AlanM liked this
By AlanM
Did you mean to repeat yourself after making a mistake (whilst correcting a foreign person conversing in English??)

It ain’t easy being parfait, is it @chevvron ?

Doh!! :shock: