Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
kanga wrote:
AlanM wrote:..

Yep, noone uses Q codes on the RT or on phone coordination any more. ..

QAR for chevvers!

Idly wondering when and where someone last flew using only Morse (not 'voiced Morse' on RT) :)

'RTF' not 'RT'.!! :furious:
kanga liked this
By matthew_w100
pplmeir wrote:Great post Carl. For a very popular ga field this airspace design is frankly bizarre. You won't be the last..

Can someone explain why it is popular? I went there once just to tick it off my list, but couldn't see any reason to pay another £30 to go back. What did I miss?
By RipAndTear
AlanM wrote:
johnm wrote:
So take off and enter a hold and await Farnboro convenience :roll:
The word “****” springs to mind.

Yep, I don’t disagree but better than a freecall/Infringement?

@carlmeek did you get the AFISO to speak to Farnborough before your departure as per the EGLK helpful webpage;

Transits of Farnborough CTR on Departure

Those aircraft wishing to transit beyond the LFA but still within the Farnborough CTR shall request a suitable clearance, initially from Blackbushe ATSU.

Blackbushe ATSU will pass the aircraft callsign, type and destination.

Farnborough will issue a Squawk, QNH, and a departure clearance. The typical restriction will be not above 2000ft, holding North West of Fleet Pond or North of M3 Junction 4.

Standard M3 Junction 4 Departure

GABCD, Farnborough clears you to cross Farnborough Control Zone, via M3 Junction 4, VFR, not above altitude 2000ft, hold north of M3 Junction 4. Squawk XXXX, QNH XXXX. Contact Farnborough Radar Frequency 133.440.

Lots of shall/will in that.

I think I'll stick with my home base being surrounded by guns, bombs and low flying aluminium - it sounds a lot safer being hosted in DA's than further east and at loggerheads with FB - sounds like they haven't changed over the years by most accounts. Poor BB, never could understand the logic of the airspace carve up..I'll just visit the southwest more and avoid the 'east' as much as possible.

R&T
flybymike liked this
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chevvron wrote:
kanga wrote:
AlanM wrote:..

Yep, noone uses Q codes on the RT or on phone coordination any more. ..

QAR for chevvers!

Idly wondering when and where someone last flew using only Morse (not 'voiced Morse' on RT) :)

'RTF' not 'RT'.!! :furious:

Late 70's I received a QGH to Southend.
Don't think I've used DF since.

G_JWTP
By Paul_Sengupta
AlanM wrote:Noise abatement is of course important for airfields and keeping peace with the locals.

And when they do a Noise Abatement Awareness Course I would give it a greater priority.....

I expect it makes a bit of a bang when a Challenger 604 hits an RV-10!

Instructor Errant wrote:QFG your airport, that’s one I haven’t heard for a while, isn’t it climb into the overhead of the airfield?

That should sit well with people doing an overhead join.

Iceman wrote:via M3 Junction 4. I haven’t had to hold yet

I've had to hold at M3 J4 many times. But not in the air.

Iceman wrote:Tongham VRP

Is the strip still there? I didn't see a windsock as I drove past.
meznas liked this
By SpeedBrake
As @Iceman says, it’s pretty simple departing Blackbushe.

On 07 a right turn into circuit is mandatory due noise abatement (and has been as long as I can remember).

If you are headed south, the FISOs will sort you out with the clearance (but you must ask for it).

If you want to avoid the controlled airspace you turn downwind, then head NW being careful not to climb above 2000ft amsl too early.
AlanM liked this
By AlanM
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
AlanM wrote:Noise abatement is of course important for airfields and keeping peace with the locals.

And when they do a Noise Abatement Awareness Course I would give it a greater priority.....

I expect it makes a bit of a bang when a Challenger 604 hits an RV-10!

Oh, I assumed that the OP who said “Combine this with the noise abatement and you end up with no way out of Blackbushe on an easterly heading.” Was him saying that he avoided Yateley with the 10Degree right for NA (off 07)

Did that not partly lead to the infringement and, as you say, risk of noise abatement by hitting a Challenger? I am a little
Confused as to what you mean @Paul_Sengupta
By Paul_Sengupta
AlanM wrote:I am a little

I didn't really mean anything apart from trying to be funny - but maybe making a tiny semi-serious point that it's better to have a minor noise abatement infringement than hit a jet coming the other way, or even going the same way.

Maybe everyone could infringe the noise abatement areas, and when people complain, just say, "Well, nothing to do with us, it's Farnborough who have put this stupid lump of airspace here, complain to them."
AlanM, Ben K liked this
By ChrisGazzard
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
AlanM wrote:I am a little

I didn't really mean anything apart from trying to be funny - but maybe making a tiny semi-serious point that it's better to have a minor noise abatement infringement than hit a jet coming the other way, or even going the same way.

Maybe everyone could infringe the noise abatement areas, and when people complain, just say, "Well, nothing to do with us, it's Farnborough who have put this stupid lump of airspace here, complain to them."

I know you’re joking but please please don’t do that. It’s not my fault I’ve got nimbys to the north of me and CAS to the south. But I really don’t need to spend any more time than absolutely necessary dealing with the man who bought a house next to an airfield and is surprised to see and hear aircraft from his back garden.
AlanM, ChrisT, Ben K and 1 others liked this
By AlanM
@ChrisGazzard - I agree! Even from my days at EGLF (and living in Eversley) there was always issues for both airfields.

Irrespective of the event that @carlmeek kindly explained and shared, I think that the Blackbushe website is really impressive and simply explained. The effort there is first class and is due a safety award for what it undoubtedly achieves.
NickS liked this