Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By Rob P
#1841202
Read that a couple of days back and thought it excellent Ian.

Rob P
User avatar
By skydriller
#1841207
I really liked that Ian.

Maybe in the next one you could talk about the licencing mess... There are plenty of Posts on here suggesting what is not working. Yes, I know that the multitude of different ones with various Medical Options was all about making it easier for people to fly when the UK was in EASA, but it hasnt been since the beginning of the year and the CAA have been telling people to "prepare for Brexit" since 2017/18, but dont seem to have been doing much preparing for it themselves other than saying "EASA=Part23 for 2 years".

Keep up the good work,

Regards, SD..
By IMCR
#1841221
It is a great letter, it really is,

And I commend you for writing it.

I hate to say anything negative, because this is exactly the reason for being negative.

What I mean is whenever this discussion occurs there are far to many pilots who would rather nit pick, point score and attack each other. I have had much to say about these issues, but come to the conclusion the CAA is in one sense not the problem - its us. I set out in some detail how the infringement response could be better handled, but almost no one was vaguely interested and all they wanted to do was frame it as a personal attack on GASCo or the CAA. (And I know my approach is not everyones).

However for this reason, all the vested interests, and all the picky responses, we deserve to be exactly where we are.

However I am also sorry to write this because you are spot on the money and I wish you every success!! Thank you.

If our community would come together on these issues then I think the CAS would listen, but there are some who I am sure are having them believe all is well, and they should ignore the nay sayers because they dont represent the average pilot.
User avatar
By GrahamB
#1841253
Nice one, Ian.

It's a good job that the Goodwood amateur drone didn't plummet into the sandbox, or it would have wiped out the only remaining CAA staff who appear to be doing anything at the moment, apart from the Infringement team.

(Although I suppose the chimps in the Licensing 'Shared Services' team they've re-deployed from Monkey World appear to be at their posts, going by the stories one hears from others @GenghisTheEngineer)
By patowalker
#1841266
GrahamB wrote:(Although I suppose the chimps in the Licensing 'Shared Services' team they've re-deployed from Monkey World appear to be at their posts, going by the stories one hears from others @GenghisTheEngineer)


Nice way to encourage the CAA to engage with us.
By IMCR
#1841270
patowalker wrote:
GrahamB wrote:(Although I suppose the chimps in the Licensing 'Shared Services' team they've re-deployed from Monkey World appear to be at their posts, going by the stories one hears from others @GenghisTheEngineer)


Nice way to encourage the CAA to engage with us.


The trouble is when a few people have tried very hard very nicely .. .. ..

this is what you can come to. :D
User avatar
By GrahamB
#1841282
patowalker wrote:
GrahamB wrote:(Although I suppose the chimps in the Licensing 'Shared Services' team they've re-deployed from Monkey World appear to be at their posts, going by the stories one hears from others @GenghisTheEngineer)


Nice way to encourage the CAA to engage with us.

They shouldn’t need ‘encouragement to engage’. They need a bloody good shake-up.

Customers paying top dollar for a service which is shabby and over-bureaucratic at best, and often shambolic, is inexcusable.
Katamarino, AndyR, TopCat liked this
#1841308
Good letter, well written.

Somehow I doubt you'll get any response, at-least not a formal one. Informally, I'm sure it'll be noticed by at least some people who need to listen, and that perhaps is as much as might be hoped for.

I do find myself idly curious about the specific topics Ian chose to address, and why, when there are so many to choose from right now. Clearly, he had to pick something, and the ones he picked are good ones - but I suspect that other people might have come up with a slightly different selection.

G
User avatar
By TheKentishFledgling
#1841330
Hard to say I “enjoyed” reading that, but it did raise a wry smile at the tone, and no doubt we all appreciate the sentiment.

As others have said, I can’t imagine it’ll produce any response, but here’s hoping.

Mr/Mrs CAA - if you’re reading this, reply: I dare ya. Whatever your response might be, you’ll win some mild praise for having the guts to respond in kind...
User avatar
By G-BLEW
#1841346
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Good letter, well written.

Somehow I doubt you'll get any response, at-least not a formal one. Informally, I'm sure it'll be noticed by at least some people who need to listen, and that perhaps is as much as might be hoped for.

I do find myself idly curious about the specific topics Ian chose to address, and why, when there are so many to choose from right now. Clearly, he had to pick something, and the ones he picked are good ones - but I suspect that other people might have come up with a slightly different selection.

G


There have been and will continue to be columns looking at specific issues. This was more about the systemic issues.

I don't know if I will get a reply, but I am scheduled to interview Sophie O'Sullivan later this week, the video of which will be part of this Thursday's Livestream.

Ian
johnm, Hooligan, kanga and 3 others liked this
By Bald Sparrow
#1841389
Thank you for writing that letter.

I don't expect you will receive the reply we need but thanks for putting some of the problems across in a positive way.

You mention the man who is in charge of General Aviation Change. I have tried to contact and engage with that person. Nothing.
I have engaged with people at the CAA but, as most people on this forum have probably found, it is impossible to get past the gate-keepers.

I don't like the way this is going. The CAA are engaging with stakeholders but it is a very one-way engagement where they tell us but they don't listen.