Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Another who read the ‘letter’ with a wry smile.

The CAA have cost me a lot of my time and money over the last 6 months. Needlessly. The system is falling apart and is unnecessary convoluted and nobody is prepared to take something up and run with it. There is no responsibility or seemingly care to provide an acceptable service.

I hope you obtain some sort of response GBLEW.
G-BLEW, Lockhaven liked this
By G-JWTP
I think the issue may be that since falling into EASA years ago the CAA is now having to take a regulatory role as opposed to that of an agent of a regulator.
Most of the 'aviation thinkers' have gone/retired etc. and what is left are just admin type 'paper shufflers' without much grounding. ( no pun)

Don't forget that for large monopolies 'it's easier to do nothing than something' as you don't commit yourself to anything.

Ian,

Many moons ago, I quoted Ghandi here perhaps you may wish to give the quote to the acting GA Head when you meet her.

"A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption of our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider of our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favour by serving him. He is doing us a favour by giving us the opportunity to do so.”

G-JWTP.
townleyc, T67M, Kemble Pitts and 3 others liked this
By pplmeir
While I am not aware of the background leading up you feeling the need to write this letter to the CAA, as a standalone document, I must say that I am learning with those that fail to see how some of the choices and style in there will help.

I have no issue with folk sending personal opinions or having constructive debate, but as a publisher the letter is also mentioning the collective. Not sure how you elicited input from the collective to the extent that you feel you have the ability to also represent those accordingly in that tone of words.

While writing are you aware CAA issued this today
https://caa.us4.list-manage.com/track/c ... 6ef9cd8b30
By proteus
pplmeir.

Do you have any connection to the CAA or bodies working with / for it?

I thought the letter touched on a number of issues which absolutely do exist.

I only really speak to a relatively small group of GA pilots around and about, however there is near universal condemnation of the infringements mess that the CAA is seen as being heavily involved in.
Kemble Pitts, IMCR, Rob P and 1 others liked this
By G-JWTP
pplmeir wrote:While I am not aware of the background leading up you feeling the need to write this letter to the CAA, as a standalone document, I must say that I am learning with those that fail to see how some of the choices and style in there will help.

I have no issue with folk sending personal opinions or having constructive debate, but as a publisher the letter is also mentioning the collective. Not sure how you elicited input from the collective to the extent that you feel you have the ability to also represent those accordingly in that tone of words.

While writing are you aware CAA issued this today
https://caa.us4.list-manage.com/track/c ... 6ef9cd8b30

It's interesting.

The real proof is to look back from 2024 and see what has changed and if the UK is starting to be the best place in the world for GA.

G-JWTP
By tomshep
Deeply unimpressed. This was written to get likes from the readership and not action on serious matters from the CAA. A serious approach from the combined alphabet organisations together with a bit of media sparkle would be more appropriate than the same old boring rant with nothing new to say. GA has been marginalised and will be marginalised out of existence by the CAA's studied apathy, the ANSPs' avarice and the participant's refusal to pay more than 5 bob to those providing a service (Whilst simultaneously being ripped off royally by others who are also providing service of dubious value.)
This isn't good enough Ian. You are selling the cause short. Get the clubs together and singing the same song, en masse and use Flyer as a proper campaigning publication with some real guts rather than this watered down slop.
By IMCR
Fwiw it’s the same old. The so called ABC organisation are full to the rafter with people who don’t want to rock the boat. I asked AOPA to campaign to keep the IMCr and they wouldn’t until they eventually realised it had huge support, I suggested how GASCo could deal with infringements better, but they would prefer to keep their CAA contract and so it goes on. I have finally given up because you will meet so much resistance and Ian unfortunately as much as anyone is up against it. Frankly he is an angel putting up with it. Even here you will have a robust exchange, will be told of for being nameless, and naming people holding official appointments, only to find out those doing the telling off have undeclared vested interests. I am afraid it’s not worth it.
Stampe liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
pplmeir wrote:Not sure how you elicited input from the collective to the extent that you feel you have the ability to also represent those accordingly in that tone of words.

Perhaps running the most active GA forum for 20 years might give some clue how pilots feel I would have thought.

However if everything was going to be addressed, the letter would be five times the size. Probably more.
Flyin'Dutch', G-JWTP, Rob P and 4 others liked this
By johnm
For some odd reason the word "pompous" just came into my mind.........
By TheFarmer
Well, I’m backing Ian on this one. I’ve always been happy to disagree with him publicly on issues when I’ve felt the need to, so I’m certainly not brown-nosing (in case anyone is about to suggest I am).

Ian is exasperated, and his voice is far more powerful than any of ours with the CAA. If it takes that kind of letter to get them to stand up and listen, then so be it.
By Gwynge
I don't really understand the sudden change of heart Ian, we've been discussing this issue for a good couple of years and only recently you dismissed my claims of the CAA's bad behaviour, I think citing a lack of evidence (!)

With respect to the alphabet organisations - I have officially registered a complaint with the BMAA council that the Chief Executive, Geoff Weighell, has not been adequately (or at all) challenging the CAA over their bad, I claim unlawful, behaviour on behalf of its members. I'm awaiting a formal response.

I recently spoke to the ICO about the unlawful use of MOR information that goes against EU law - they encouraged a complaint to be made so that they can formally investigate - it can't be me so if there is someone who has been found "guilty" and penalised as a result of an MOR and would like to see this challenged please get in touch privately. I'm happy to do the legwork.
Aerials, Stampe, matthew_w100 and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
I have always admired you for your optimism @Sir Morley Steven

You always are a glass half full chap :D

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', flybymike liked this
By IMCR
I am also backing Ian.

Anyone trying should be supported.

I also feel Ian you appear to be taking a different stance from a few months ago. I wonder if you have become equally frustrated?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
IMCR wrote:I am also backing Ian.

Anyone trying should be supported.

I also feel Ian you appear to be taking a different stance from a few months ago. I wonder if you have become equally frustrated?

Sometimes the CAA does well (Original PMDs, SSDR etc.), sometimes the CAA (probably) has good intention that is badly and/or opaquely executed (CAP1404).

I've never been in the all is bad or all is good camp, preferring to take each thing as I find it. Right now, I think there's a very good chance of some systemic issues.

Ian
Ben K, Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this