Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
MattL wrote:IPad mini with SkyDemon. Has worked flawlessly... the SkyEcho2 integration is amazing.

What form does this amazement take?

MattL wrote:Android users can normally be seen around repeatedly stabbing at their screen, waiting for stuff to happen and saying ‘what’s it doing now’ and suchlike.

I think the OP was looking for information rather than fatuous bollox

Rob P
mick w liked this
I use sky demon---on my phone samsung A10(£130 ) and on my samsung tablet A8 (£140)---never lost signal.
The phone is on a clip attached to instrument panel. Either both adequate for VFR.
I also have a steam driven Garmin 150 GPS--simple to use--all the basic data you need.
Main thing is to keep looking outside and just use aids as a check.
Rob P wrote:
MattL wrote:IPad mini with SkyDemon. Has worked flawlessly... the SkyEcho2 integration is amazing.

What form does this amazement take?

MattL wrote:Android users can normally be seen around repeatedly stabbing at their screen, waiting for stuff to happen and saying ‘what’s it doing now’ and suchlike.

Rob P

The way Rob and the SkyDemon team have integrated direct FLARM receive decoding, the ability to direct control SE2 settings from drop down in app menus and the general seamless way it all works is amazing to me.

I am involved in EFB provision at work and no commercial EFB has ever gone near Android due to well known system integrity and lag issues.
MattL wrote:IPad mini with SkyDemon. Has worked flawlessly for years, never overheated once. Updates are seamless. Other nav apps are fine, but for sheer capability vs price SkyDemon can’t be beaten and the SkyEcho2 integration is amazing.

Android users can normally be seen around repeatedly stabbing at their screen, waiting for stuff to happen and saying ‘what’s it doing now’ and suchlike.

I agree with the first para, apart from I've had 2 overheat shutdowns on an iPad in the air but the second is frankly b******s!
I used SD with an iPad until the company retired me last year and have been Android since and there is no discernable difference between the OSs.
Rob P wrote:

Rob P

Accurately reflects me and my Nexus!
Rob P liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MattL wrote:I am involved in EFB provision at work and no commercial EFB has ever gone near Android due to well known system integrity and lag issues.

My Samsung S2 is faster than my iPad Mini 4.

I suggest not trying to use £30 Chinese tablets from e-bay.

I've been in an aeroplane with two different people whose iPads have shut down due to overheating at various times. I guess the "user error" was to try and use the tablet in France or California.
So is a Samsung the device to go for? As I said my HTC Nexus (which wasn't cheap...) spends an inordinate amount of time "waiting for device" while looking for PAW, and requiring restarts to gee it into action. At the same time my iPhone is happily tracking the flight, happily connected to PAW.
Garmin Pilot is just beautiful. Plan a complex route, add an arrival or IAP if needed. Bounce to the 430W with a tap of the iPad, crossfills to the Aera 660. Monitor the flight on a crisp synthetic vision PFD displayed on the iPad in the Garmin Pilot app.

Sorry - what was I thinking. An android tablet and Skydemon all the way... :roll:
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've been using a 7-inch Samsung Tab A (cost c. £100 a couple of years ago) as recommended by DaveW -- very happy with it: GPS picks up quickly and seems solid. It's used only for nav and has never crashed/frozen or otherwise misbehaved., I can usually read the screen in sunlight under a bubble canopy. I had been using RunwayHD plus the CAA quarter million (because I liked the familiarity); however, I've just switched to SkyDemon …
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I started off with an android tablet with Skydemon , before that, SeeYou (10inch, then later an 8 inch) and now I've just taken delivery of a Samsung Galaxy A21s...nearly 7 inch screen and has all the functionality I need with Skydemon and I also have the usual data connection with the phone instead of pairing and sharing with the tablet. Just ordered a new (smaller) x grip for my RAM mount and I'm happy (and I can still see the screen!) just keep the tablet in my flying bag for a spare.
T6Harvard liked this
matthew_w100 wrote:So is a Samsung the device to go for? As I said my HTC Nexus (which wasn't cheap...) spends an inordinate amount of time "waiting for device" while looking for PAW, and requiring restarts to gee it into action. At the same time my iPhone is happily tracking the flight, happily connected to PAW.

Hi Matthew
On iOS devices there is a great app which allows you to see if your device is receiving the raw data
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/udp-tcp-r ... 1246823651
I use this to ensure that we are receiving UDP or TCP packets by listening on port 2000
This rules out connectivity/networking/firewall issues

Looks like there is a similar app for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_GB&gl=US

The biggest issue we have seen on Android, is the (various) battery saver options, that seem to disable the WiFi for small periods of time. We always recommend disabling all battery saver options.

Thx
Lee
matthew_w100, T6Harvard liked this