Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
This stuff about two hands on the stick.....

Bear in mind Guy’s entire purpose here is to fly (in) a Hurricane. I thought the whole reason for the spade grips on both Spitfire and Hurricane was precisely so that two hands could be used?

Have I had that wrong all this time?

Plus if you were showing someone who can’t fly, how it’s done, so they can pretend they can. Then surely you’d only give them one control to worry about? Wouldn’t you??

This is only TV. :roll:
JAFO liked this
Rob P wrote:I spent some time with Guy at a Ford Day at Silverstone.

The impression I got from a half hour meeting or so was that he was a very genuine chap, a little baffled that people where happy to pay him lots of money and supply lots of kit (Ford) for stuff he would have been doing at his own expense anyway.

I doubt he has much input into the finished programme, nor does he really care as long as people keep giving him lots of money he can plough back into the things he loves doing..

Rob P

I met someone who was going to be involved in the hovercraft speed record attempt, but pulled out.

They said the same, Guy is genuine, but the “made for TV” aspect was something they realised they didn’t want to be associated with.
T6Harvard liked this
Just caught up with episode one.

It's tele, not real life.

But it's about the first "Celeb recreates the BoB" proggy that gives the Hurricane its due, and for that I'll forgive a lot.

I was taught to fly some aeros two-handed, particularly loops where it's a great aid to staying straight.

I liked the programme and will certainly be seeing Ep 2.

I hated seeing Guy flying in the Tiger Moth with his shoulder straps flopping uselessly down by his elbows. Many of you know why that is.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just watched both episodes in a row .It kinda reminded me of the McGregor bros program in that it was fine for the great unwashed but any self respecting pilot needed to suspend reality for the duration

This I did .

And this made it a little less toe-curling than it migh otherwise have been .

The b/W combat inserts livened it up a bit :wink:
By 2Donkeys
I watched both episodes, and they passed the time nicely. Great to see Greeners doing his stuff, as always.

It did fall into the current TV trend of keeping it simple for the masses though. Nothing was explained in any depth and the frontman was presented as Mr 'Everyman' to make it accessible to all. It's the same reason that MasterChef has Greg Wallace. He plays the part of a bit of a thicko, to whom the real chefs can explain what is going on - helping the audience out at the same time.

It wasn't always this way, and I think I preferred it when the front people seemed like experts and the viewer might learn a thing or two from the programme.

Next week on the 2Donkeys show: "Why modern 'pop' music is not music at all, it's just a noise".
Rob P, JAFO, Charles Hunt and 1 others liked this
By Dave W
2Donkeys wrote:Next week on the 2Donkeys show: "Why modern 'pop' music is not music at all, it's just a noise".

:lol:
"It's not real music - you can hear the words." ;)

[Thread drift]2Ds, do you follow Rick Beato on YouTube? I have zero knowledge of the music theory he explains, but he is so informative anyway I don't care.

His "What makes this song great?" series is marvellous.
When documentaries didn't need music, let alone music competing with speech, this sort of thing was being made - for youngsters. Sadly, things have changed.

The bits I have seen show huge enthusiasm from Guy Martin but he is let down by the modern format. That would appear to be the norm now: producers and directors who that dare not think the viewer can focus for more than ten minutes without a recap, some jeopardy and lots of music.

JAFO, Dave W, 2Donkeys and 2 others liked this
ChampChump wrote:producers and directors who that dare not think the viewer can focus for more than ten minutes without a recap

They do this because the shows are made with the prospect of selling to the American networks. They have twice as many breaks for adverts as we do, so where there's a "recap" without an ad break, that's where an additional set would be put in when shown in America. It's not just that people would have forgotten what's going on during the ad breaks, it's that the ad breaks are usually the times people go channel hopping, and it might be the time that people find the programme for the first time, so it's a catch up for them.

Yes, it's annoying if you're actually there to watch the programme.

I was watching a Wheeler Dealers programme which I'd somehow recorded last night. It was one of the later ones made in the US. By fast forwarding through the bits I didn't need, I managed to watch an hour's programme in about 40 mins.