Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob L
Wabash wrote:Lets get this in perspective - i'd probably feel safer as a swimmer with an Avenger coughing and splutting yards away than breaking down on an utterley idiotic SMART motorway :roll:

I don't think that's either relevant or a suitable comparison on this thread :|
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Wabash wrote: - i'd probably feel safer as a swimmer with an Avenger coughing and splutting yards away than breaking down on an utterley idiotic SMART motorway :roll:

As non sequiturs go, this one wins prizes.

Rob P
By Dominie
Wow. Dan Gryder does not mince his words! If what he says is even just half true, I would not want to be part of the Valiant Air Command team; if it's completely true then it's an absolute disgrace...
gasman liked this
By Rob L
Dominie wrote:Wow. Dan Gryder does not mince his words! If what he says is even just half true, I would not want to be part of the Valiant Air Command team; if it's completely true then it's an absolute disgrace...

On the whole I don't like the guy. He second-guesses NTSB reports well before they are due.

But in this instance, I think he is on the right lines. It's worth reading the comments; there are many that refer to the Shoreham crash and I think there are similarities about lack of oversight by both the Operator and the Regulatory Body.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am not a fan of this sort of reporting and I would normally be saying wait for the official report but he seems to have inside information that needs to be known, I would hope that he first approached the authorities with this and only went public if that was ignored but sense this was not the case.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have little doubt this chap is right on the money, he appears to know the organisation pretty well from his comments and knowing how easy it is to be taken to court over there he must be pretty sure about what he says.

As someone wrote a lot of similarities with the Shoreham crash, sadly that did not turn out as this one did.
IMCR, A le Ron liked this
By IMCR
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I have little doubt this chap is right on the money, he appears to know the organisation pretty well from his comments and knowing how easy it is to be taken to court over there he must be pretty sure about what he says.

As someone wrote a lot of similarities with the Shoreham crash, sadly that did not turn out as this one did.

I agree with your post except I am not sure about the similarities with Shoreham? It seems to me this was very different, unless you are simply referring to the risk to the General Public.
By Josh
The NTSB report from the B-17 accident was pretty shocking in terms of the maintenance not done and the general attitude to the flying of these aircraft.

This sounds similar. I was pretty appalled by the fact that the PIC took an aircraft with problems into a display area and the display director allowed it. This was worse in many ways than what happened at Shoreham but they got away with it. It will be interesting to see how the FAA respond to say the least.
By Sooty25
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:It is a 1: 1 copy

Shoddy Warbird operations with scant regard for the rules, ego riding the aeroplane, no oversight over the operation, shoddy maintenance and a long lead up to the day of the crash.

Without warbirds there would be virtually no displays. If however, there was an active display circuit built around historic civil aircraft, no doubt we'd see the same.

I agree both this and Shoreham have common ground, that being pilot negligence. The Avenger pilot got away with it, this time,. Just like the Hunter pilot did, until he didn't.

Why is it so difficult to do what seems to be obviously the right thing? Whether it is hitting the correct gate heights and speeds, or aborting, when looping a Hunter, or just aborting a display and landing a sick aeroplane early. Does ego and/or adrenaline really cloud these decisions?
By IMCR
I wonder whether it is entirely ego. An event in the middle of a routine requires quicker thinking than normal. The video makes the excellent point as to the sequence of events that should be followed when an incident occurs. Partly it is a different scenario from en route where you might have little alternative to work the problem. In display you almost certainly have an immediate landing opportunity. Perhaps this stems from it not being sufficiently impressed on pilots the immediate actions in the event of an incident. In short in may not be the time to fault find get in back on the runway.