Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
What was Rusty?

Everything! My brain now hurts and so too my shoulders as I couldn’t seem to get into trim.

Ian, Cubair’s Examiner, was kind and made allowances in the morning session. However for the test the briefing was clear and requirements performance wise clearly set.

The glide approach into a stiffening nor’ easterly wasn’t going to work so a practice go around curtailed my blushes.

I would have got into my chosen field for the practice PFL which included a stylish side slip too.

So paperwork done and fees paid with 24 months carefree flying ahead.

We agreed that there will be quite a few pilots who are beyond the date on their class rating flying at the moment blissfully unaware that the badly worded ORS4 extensions didn’t apply to them.
T6Harvard, Charles Hunt liked this
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Further derusting added steep turns (sloppyoppy but tidied up tolerably enough I was finding my own wake. Was struggling to identify the right amount of additional power to add still though,

And slow flight which was such a buggering muddle of nose-nodding wavering around the sky and fannying with power settings that I went back to the books and discovered I’d literally forgotten the existence of induced drag.

This also spoke to the steep turns power issue of course.

Both were more acceptable today in a very improbable weather window which filled the sky with rainbows and made the whole of Wales look like an insta filter.

Very pleasant.
johnm, Miscellaneous, AlanC and 7 others liked this
By kanga
[tangentially :oops: related]

yesterday I drove a motor vehicle (to the pre-reopening brief for JAM volunteers) for the first time since (probably) late November. The 'muscle memory' was all there, but (as with first flying after a gap, while I was still flying) I was aware that I was both more cautious and more nervous than my previous 'normal' I guess both may be 'good things' :roll:

A couple of months ago there was advertised a share in a local syndicate with a familiar and attractive type. I was tempted to go for it, and even did some homework into the likely 'revalidation' routes. However, I decided against it, partly in the expectation that on each occasion on which I'd planned a 'purposeless' bimble I'd be increasingly likely to find some (irrationally cautious) reason why not.
By TopCat
leiafee wrote:and made the whole of Wales look like an insta filter.

That's an amazing picture, and remarkably devoid of canopy reflections. :thumleft:

Next time, get that wing out of the way :wink:
By leiafee
TopCat wrote:

That's an amazing picture, and remarkably devoid of canopy reflections. :thumleft:

I love wing shots - would have been better from one of the aforementioned steep turns though I concur.
TopCat wrote:and remarkably devoid of canopy reflections. :thumleft:

FYI, a Circular Polarizing Filter (CPL) attached to your lens will knock out canopy reflections.

...and of course, the purchase of a helicopter will eliminate unsightly wings/struts/props in your photos. :D
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
leiafee wrote:I love wing shots - would have been better from one of the aforementioned steep turns though I concur.

You'd be surprised how not-steep you can get away with.

Slow down a bit if necessary (so that you're below VA ), then wing down and a boot-full of opposite rudder will get most of it out of the way, even still level.

Then usually you can get rid of the rest of it with a bit of a crop.
By TopCat
RisePilot wrote:
TopCat wrote:and remarkably devoid of canopy reflections. :thumleft:

FYI, a Circular Polarizing Filter (CPL) attached to your lens will knock out canopy reflections.

Indeed. I've been lazy recently, and just used my phone. Now that I'm flying more I'll take the SLR out a bit more. Time was I got quite good at one-handed shots, and of course if the aircraft is more or less in trim you can use both.

...and of course, the purchase of a helicopter will eliminate unsightly wings/struts/props in your photos. :D

Yes, at the cost of having to look at the helicopter itself... :tongue:
By Pete L
leiafee wrote:
TopCat wrote:

I love wing shots - would have been better from one of the aforementioned steep turns though I concur.

I did wonder about the shock of finding the wings beneath you. :D
By Rob P
Year Two instructor flight today.

What was rusty?

Well the flying was OK - half under the hood and half practicing wheeler landings.

But I did leave my keys to the aeroplane in the locked car the keys for which were in the locked hangar so involved me unstrapping etc etc etc having only discovered this after we were both belted in. :evil:

Rob P
Charles Hunt wrote:NOOOOOO!!!!!!

The whole point (for me) is that it shows that you have to able to fly to get such pictures. Leave it as it is.

(Crikey, this art criticism is a whole lot easier than engineering!)

It took me a while to work out why my dad - a keen artist/photographer - only took photos when we were in a PA28. It turns out that he likes to have the wings literally underneath him so he can't see straight down. In Cessnas and DA40's - wing in wrong place so no photos. Maybe he only had the eye next to me open too. :shock: