Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
skydriller wrote:. You seem to be offended by this whole thread so I will bow out.

How exactly am I supposed to feel about a thread created specifically to mock a deeply significant part of my identity?

How am I supposed to feel about being told I spit, spread disease, cause a flight safety hazard, a submarine safety hazard, insult to random pub goers, wanton trading illegality - all by the mere existence of my language and having the forum at large invited to laugh about it?
leiafee wrote:
skydriller wrote:. You seem to be offended by this whole thread so I will bow out.

How exactly am I supposed to feel about a thread created specifically to mock a deeply significant part of my identity?

How am I supposed to feel about being told I spit, spread disease, cause a flight safety hazard, a submarine safety hazard, insult to random pub goers, wanton trading illegality - all by the mere existence of my language and having the forum at large invited to laugh about it?

Really, Leia I believe you are overreacting. Take a chill pill and come back later. This thread was not "created specifically to mock a deeply significant part of my identity" as you may think.
By Sir Morley Steven
I am saddened when Scots and Welsh people bring out the hilarious “ anyone but England” line during sport fixtures. Technically it is racist and offensive but I usually ignore it with the option to bring it up whenever anyone gets a bit too uppity. :wink:
Sir- when I served in the surface fleet, my countrymen, on a daily basis, had to endure the so called banter of being called “PJs” (poxy Jocks) by both English and Welsh, and still prevalent today. Yes, every day. :evil:
By leiafee
Rob L wrote:[
Really, Leia I believe you are overreacting. Take a chill pill and come back later. This thread was not "created specifically to mock a deeply significant part of my identity" as you may think.

What was it created for then? explain it to me.

What “Help and Advice” does it offer?
Flyingfemme wrote:
NDB_hold wrote:Tricky, this one; on the one hand, Welsh is an official language in Wales; on the other, are we now looking at commercial flights in and out of Wales having to carry a Welsh language speaker by law?

No - they are obliged to use English for "international" flights, like those to/from England :roll:

International? I thought Wales was a County, like Devon or Hampshire. :wink:
leiafee wrote:
Rob L wrote:[

What was it created for then? explain it to me.

What “Help and Advice” does it offer?

Only to highlight an article in The Times which I thought might be interesting to:-

GENERAL AVIATION

Sadly the paper I have taken for the last 40-50 years is not quite as it used to be.

As for the reporter - make your own judgement

author-image
Kaya Burgess
news reporter and religious affairs correspondent
@kayaburgess

Kaya Burgess covers breaking news and religion stories. He has also written the paper's satirical TMS column, runs the award-winning Cities Fit for Cycling campaign, and worked on the Time to Mind child mental health campaign. He joined The Times in 2008.
By leiafee
oldbiggincfi wrote:As for the reporter - make your own judgement

author-image
Kaya Burgess
@kayaburgess

Kaya Burgess covers breaking news and religion stories. He has also written the paper's satirical TMS column, runs the award-winning Cities Fit for Cycling campaign, and worked on the Time to Mind child mental health campaign. He joined The Times in 2008.

So no one with any particular expertise or interest in GA then?

Which begs the question what their motivation was.
By PeteSpencer
NDB_hold wrote:
kanga wrote:Some English place names as spoken on the air can also be tricky. ISTR having to ask an East Midlands ATCO to say again Tatenhill.

Both Tatenhill ('Taytenhill' not 'Tattenhill')

Nah eny fule kno that Tatenhill is pronounced ‘Fanshaw’.

:wink:
By PeteSpencer
@leiafee
I don’t think we’ve ever met : I usually follow all your largely informative posts with great attention and interest .

Indeed the number of wannabes I’ve referred to your ‘do you wanna fly? ‘ sticky is legion .

But having read the OP I do think you do yourself a disservice by being so ranty and have read far more into the OP than was intended.

That’s all

Peter
leiafee wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:As for the reporter - make your own judgement

author-image
Kaya Burgess
@kayaburgess

So no one with any particular expertise or interest in GA then?

Which begs the question what their motivation was.

Indeed
I seem to remember when “The Times” was considerably bigger.
And used to report Court Cases verbatim
Might have had something to the effect “ Well, he would say that – wouldn't he”
By leiafee
PeteSpencer wrote:@leiafee
I don’t think we’ve ever met : I usually follow all your largely informative posts with great attention and interest .

Indeed the number of wannabes I’ve referred to your ‘do you wanna fly? ‘ sticky is legion .

But having read the OP I do think you do yourself a disservice by being so ranty and have read far more into the OP than was intended.

In that case I’m disappointed you don’t think I’ve applied the same level of thought and honesty to how I feel about the systematic denigration of something else I love every bit as passionately as I love flying.

And I’d point out once again that I played along. I posted a silly jokey blather about the hazards of monolingual flying.

It was other people who got cross first - because apparently it’s okay when Welsh is the butt of the joke but not when it’s used to make one.