Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:If the Welsh are going to take the language attitude suggested by Leia and Red then I'll be going elsewhere on my next flying trip. I speak Scot & Irish & Breton; so I'll be going to one of those instead.

The Welsh should wake up and smell the coffee. :roll:

A chroseo. Respect is earned not given. The whole rest of the thread was a pop at a minority language yet when speakers answer back even in jest it’s cause for a flounce?
leiafee wrote:A chroseo. Respect is earned not given. The whole rest of the thread was a pop at a minority language yet when speakers answer back even in jest it’s cause for a flounce?

What on earth? :?: You going to flounce again? Me non comprende /Spanish/
On the subject of equality with national identity/lingo,....

What happens when the Welsh GA fly to L2K, ....
for the return flight will they do their passenger safety briefing in 3 languages?
French... cos your in France, and French is a proper international language
English.. cos its the international language of aviation
Welsh... cos might not understand the French bit and want to be a nationalistic.

... or perhaps closer to home....

If the Welsh GA fly to Alba,.... will they have to use 3 languages for the safety briefing for the return flight?

I doubt it will be in 3 languages somehow.... :wink:

Obviously 2 languages will do when Welsh GA do a return flight from England .... :lol:
Rob L wrote:If the Welsh are going to take the language attitude suggested by Leia and Red then I'll be going elsewhere on my next flying trip. I speak Scot & Irish & Breton; so I'll be going to one of those instead.

The Welsh should wake up and smell the coffee. :roll:

I can't speak for Leia, but it looks like you took what I wrote seriously, sorry to cause offense I assure you none was intended
By leiafee
Rob L wrote:What on earth? :?: You going to flounce again?

It appeared to me you you wished to never again darken the door of an entire country next door foerever more because one of their natives asked you to show a bare minimum respect towards their language and expressed thepat desire with a mocking post misrepresenting their GPs track for the day.

I shall take a note (and the recommmend coffee) and stick to tired old jokes about spelling in future. They seem to go over okay.
Last edited by leiafee on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red wrote:Oherwydd Rheolau Covid presennol Cynulliad Cymru A fydd pob teithiwr o Loegr yn gwneud eu hunain yn hysbys i Cabin Crew fel y gallant dderbyn yr 20 lashes gorfodol gyda chriw o Gennin Pedr am fod yn Saeson, croeso i Gymru
:mrgreen:
GoogleTranslate: Due to the current Covid Rules of the Welsh Assembly Will all English travelers make themselves known to Cabin Crew so that they can receive the mandatory 20 lashes with a bunch of Daffodils for being English, welcome to Wales
Rob L wrote:No offense taken from you,

It was bad enough when the thread descended into Welsh... But American is beyond the pale.

Rob P
By leiafee
Ok. Before bed so I don’t stew.

Here’s why I’m cross.

THIS ONCE I decide to ignore the tedious, tired old tropes and casual dismissal of a language I adore, that gave me a new window on the world, that reclaimed something that was beaten out of my family tree with a stick a few generations ago and which I spent years reclaiming.

Just once I thought I thought, I’ll play along. I’ll be a little overblown, and little silly, everyone will know I’m only joking. Their language, after all is under none of the threats mine is, they are secure in it, they won’t mind a joke at their expense.

I even ran the damn thing through Google translate after writing it in case a spelling mistake had caused me to accidentally insult someone.

But no. Instant venom. Instant “l’m never visiting again and you peasants should be gald I ever did” fury at the idea that a Welsh speaker should make rather than be the butt of the joke.

It’s ugly. Fragile. Hateful.

And now that I’m already cross let’s cover the rest.

It’s not okay to say I spit when I speak the language of my native place.

It’s not okay to say I spread disease by so doing.

It’s not okay to say the existence of a 10 second announcement in it is going to cause panic and death in the skies.

It’s just.. not. It’s not okay.

It’s spiteful. It’s biogoted. It’s not funny and wasn’t even during the first four centuries or so of the same jokes being made.

It’s above all, tedious. And every so often, enraging.
AeroDyn wrote:
Red wrote:Oherwydd Rheolau Covid presennol Cynulliad Cymru A fydd pob teithiwr o Loegr yn gwneud eu hunain yn hysbys i Cabin Crew fel y gallant dderbyn yr 20 lashes gorfodol gyda chriw o Gennin Pedr am fod yn Saeson, croeso i Gymru
:mrgreen:
GoogleTranslate: Due to the current Covid Rules of the Welsh Assembly Will all English travelers make themselves known to Cabin Crew so that they can receive the mandatory 20 lashes with a bunch of Daffodils for being English, welcome to Wales

No mention of the Duty Free Allowance for Leeks? :lol:
OK, but genuine question @leiafee : other than some execrable pronunciation, what good will that NOTAM do?

I love Welsh, and I wish I could speak it - I even made a brief attempt in my teens to learn some. But I don’t think NOTAMs are a way to achieve a revival of the language.
Last edited by NDB_hold on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.