Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
Can someone explain what the procedure is now for a GP to issue a LAPL medical? Is it necessary for the GP to log on to the new system to input directly, or do they complete a form and submit it to the CAA for them to input?

I have a driving medical booked for Thursday and am still considering getting the LAPL done whilst I'm there anyway. As explained elsewhere, when I contacted an AME I was advised the CAA have asked them to minimise the number of medicals for now.

TIA
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The 'paper' guide to GPs can be found below but I cannot locate the link to the GP form which was a questionnaire resulting in a LAPL Certificate when all was well.

I suppose it has fallen victim to the new brilliant medical system.

It is so good that they can't process medicals at the moment.

It makes T&T look like a success.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CA ... %20GPs.pdf
Miscellaneous liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:It makes T&T look like a success.

At least they didn't spend more than £2.50 on this system....or that's what it looks like from the reports so far! ;-)
By DavidC
Why would any qualified pilot want to renew a LAPL medical?

You would need one if you were a student (otherwise can’t fly solo or have a licence issued) but thereafter you can exercise LAPL privileges on a LAPL or PPL licence within the UK FIR by day or night with just a Personal Medical Declaration. Applies to Permit and Part 21 (was EASA) aircraft.

You can’t fly abroad, IFR or instruct but you’d need a Class 2 and a PPL for any of those anyway.

And if rules change in future, you can always go get one again - there doesn’t seem to be much difference in cost between a renewal and a revalidation.

There are probably some exceptions I haven’t thought of so please point those out!
By Flyin'Dutch'
Miscellaneous wrote:Thanks @Flyin'Dutch', not just me then. :?

I guess the chances of me explaining the new system to a GP are pretty slim. :lol:

I doubt there is already a functioning GP Option available let alone functioning.
Miscellaneous liked this
By patowalker
DavidC wrote:There are probably some exceptions I haven’t thought of so please point those out!

You can fly a G reg homebuilt in France on a LAPL medical.
Last edited by patowalker on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Miscellaneous
DavidC wrote:Why would any qualified pilot want to renew a LAPL medical?

Easy. Because as a forever Class 2, who has been flying on an LAPL for the last year due COVID and having been unable to arrange renewal of a Class 2 due the **** up, I thought I would cover as many options as possible during the confusion. And only because I’m having a medical tomorrow anyway.

Does that help? :D
By patowalker
Shoestring Flyer wrote:patowalker
I seem to remember you were going to ask the DGAC to confirm if they would allow us to fly in France on a LAPL...Have you had a reply?

No, I haven't had reply, but that is only for the non-believers. I know I can fly to France on my LAPL, because the decree says so. :D

The reply may take some time, not because of the LAPL question, but because I also asked for confirmation that the PMD, which entitles us to fly homebuilts in the UK is also valid in France. They know about the PMD, because that is all UK microlight pilots have. There are two problems: the French themselves have no medical requirements for ULM, so have probably paid little attention to PMDs and a PMD is not issued by the CAA or by an organisation delegated by the CAA. However, there is no harm in asking.
Keep fingers crossed.

The pilot shall hold a pilot’s licence and associated qualifications entitling him to fly this
aircraft, issued either by the State of registration or an organisation with a delegation by the
said State, or validated or accepted by the said State
By Irv Lee
DavidC wrote:Why would any qualified pilot want to renew a LAPL medical?

What if f they cannot get through the 5700kg pmd conditions? Don't they need a lapl medical?
JAFO, Forfoxake liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
patowalker wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:patowalker
I seem to remember you were going to ask the DGAC to confirm if they would allow us to fly in France on a LAPL...Have you had a reply?

No, I haven't had reply, but that is only for the non-believers. I know I can fly to France on my LAPL, because the decree says so. :D

The reply may take some time, not because of the LAPL question, but because I also asked for confirmation that the PMD, which entitles us to fly homebuilts in the UK is also valid in France. They know about the PMD, because that is all UK microlight pilots have. There are two problems: the French themselves have no medical requirements for ULM, so have probably paid little attention to PMDs and a PMD is not issued by the CAA or by an organisation delegated by the CAA. However, there is no harm in asking.
Keep fingers crossed.

The pilot shall hold a pilot’s licence and associated qualifications entitling him to fly this
aircraft, issued either by the State of registration or an organisation with a delegation by the
said State, or validated or accepted by the said State

I really do hope your interpretation is correct!
Call me a non-believer if you wish....
However, currently I am struggling with the fact that EASA have said that a UK issued LAPL cannot be used in the EU!
The CAA have also said that a UK issued LAPL is now UK flight only!
So the thought of arguing with a French official after being ramp checked in France using the statement that 'patowalker on the Flyer forum' had made an interpretation that it was ok for me to fly in France on my LAPL I can't quite see cutting the mustard somehow!
The consequences of the above happening and coming home on the Eurostar and leaving my aeroplane in France would not exactly fill me with glee!
So until we get an official statement that we can use a UK issued LAPL in France before venturing forth across the Channel I for one will not be going!
By Edward Bellamy
@patowalker is closer to the detail, but fundamentally in this context what EASA have said / the legal status of a UK issued LAPL vis a vis EASA and ICAO has no direct relation to the homebulit agreement - it’s not in scope of EASA so the French can make the requirements whatever they like...
Last edited by Edward Bellamy on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By patowalker
SF,
You are wrong about EASA saying the LAPL was not valid in Europe. All EASA did was say it could not get involved in validating a sub-ICAO licence, as that was a matter for individual EASA member states. A perfectly logical position to take.

The CAA is also clear that a LAPL is not valid abroad, unless accepted by the country being visited.

The NPPL is not valid abroad either, yet microlight pilots use it to fly all over Europe, because individual states have accepted it..

Evidence coming up.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By patowalker
A UK CAA issued EU Part-FCL LAPL will become a UK CAA issued Part-FCL LAPL.
The LAPL does not conform to the standard PPL in ICAO Annex 1; this is often referred to as sub-ICAO.

After 31 December 2020, there is no recognition of UK-issued pilot licences by EASA.

This means a UK CAA issued Part-FCL LAPL:

May be used in UK airspace to operate UK (G) registered aircraft within licence privileges.
May not be used outside UK airspace, including EU airspace, unless with the approval of the State or Crown Dependency concerned.
Why? Because it is a sub-ICAO and third country licence and the UK is no longer an EASA Member State.

May be used to operate UK (G) registered nationally regulated (previously 'non-EASA') and Part-21 (previously 'EASA') aircraft.
Why? Enabled by ANO 2016 Article 150]

https://info.caa.co.uk/uk-eu-transition/private-pilots/
Last edited by patowalker on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.