Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By cirrostratus
Josh wrote ...
The Gatwick challenge is minimum time for a circuit in which you pass under the bridge from the North terminal to the satellite whilst downwind.

You need to be in recognised takeoff and landing configs and speeds at both ends and having the gear up under the bridge is advisable!

I was told in my sim sessions to pass under the bridge at 250kts ( 737 -400)
By rf3flyer
Would I, if I could?
There are a few bridges I'd like to fly under but there are just to many cameras about these days to run the risk of prosecution so I have never done it.
But a practical tip might be to do the fly-under in a country not your own. Some years ago three Spanish pilots flew under the Ballachulish bridge, and more recently a couple of French pilots did the Kessock bridge, though you could probably get a 737 under that one with ease.
The Skye bridge should be an easy one too as I believe the bridge was built high enough to sail the Royal yacht underneath!
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sir Morley Steven wrote:The Millau viaduct in France had 1000ft spans and is 1000ft high. Hmmmm......

I think it's about 800 odd ft tall. If it were in the UK, you could fly 500ft under the span and be legal. In France however, I believe you have to be 500ft above the ground so it's a no-go.

Not that I've looked into it or anything.
T6Harvard liked this
By Lockhaven
cirrostratus wrote:Josh wrote ...
The Gatwick challenge is minimum time for a circuit in which you pass under the bridge from the North terminal to the satellite whilst downwind.

You need to be in recognised takeoff and landing configs and speeds at both ends and having the gear up under the bridge is advisable!

I was told in my sim sessions to pass under the bridge at 250kts ( 737 -400)

I have done the Gatwick challenge a few times but there were no aircraft limitations, managed 31 secs from brakes off to touch down :D
By IMCR
Not doubting you one bit, but is this effectively a contracted circuit in 31 seconds, and is brakes off from the start of your departure roll. It sounds impressively quick in a CAT.
By PeteSpencer
Yep The middle span of the Orwell bridge would be a bit of a ring-twitter in an arrer ....... :pale:

Mind you the thought was there in the dozens of times I crossed over that bridge on the approach into Ipswich airport in the good ole PPL training days . :wink:
JAFO liked this
By Josh
IMCR wrote:Not doubting you one bit, but is this effectively a contracted circuit in 31 seconds, and is brakes off from the start of your departure roll. It sounds impressively quick in a CAT.

Airborne, no config changes, under bridge and back to touchdown with some heavy braking I reckon is doable.

The ground roll/time on takeoff in an empty jet at full power is impressive to say the least!
Lockhaven liked this
By IMCR
Yes, I would have thought at the least this would need to be from actually lined up, power up but with brakes, stop watch starts from brake release to touch down, but maybe it can be done even quicker. A Husky might actually perform better, if it could take off anywhere it liked on the runway and land anywhere it liked back on. :lol:
By Lockhaven
IMCR wrote:Not doubting you one bit, but is this effectively a contracted circuit in 31 seconds, and is brakes off from the start of your departure roll. It sounds impressively quick in a CAT.

It was from brake release on the runway with an immediate turn towards the bridge, no config change, keep the speed sensible less than 250kts, under the bridge with a slight pull up to lose some speed, deploy the spoilers and in to a landing config at the same time turning back around to the runway, max braking on landing as timing runs until stopped.

It wasn't in a CAT they are to cumbersome, but a nice 3 engined biz jet that flies like a fighter.
By Lockhaven
gaznav wrote:
a nice 3 engined biz jet that flies like a fighter

I beg to differ, even my old Tornado F3 handled better, with up to +7.5g and 850KIAS/M2.2 available, than any biz jet I know!

It wasn't the speed but the manoeuvrability I was getting at considering they also make the Dassault Rafale, both aircraft share areas of systems and software for the flight controls and instrumentation.

But yes you are right its not a Tonka.
gaznav liked this
By Hooligan
PeteSpencer wrote:Yep The middle span of the Orwell bridge would be a bit of a ring-twitter in an arrer ....... :pale:

Mind you the thought was there in the dozens of times I crossed over that bridge on the approach into Ipswich airport in the good ole PPL training days . :wink:

I believe John Jordan took his Stearman under the Orwell bridge during an Ipswich Airshow circa 1980...

Then there was "The Mad Major" Chris Draper who flew something through Tower Bridge in the 1930s, and most of the rest of the Thames Bridges in an Auster in the '50s.

Chap in the Rallye who tackled L'arc de Triomphe in the 1980s on several occasions...

American who took a Bonanza (and cameraman) under the Eiffel Tower.