Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Blimey, must be this pair: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Overstreet_Jr.

The German pilot aimed his plane at the Eiffel Tower and in a surprising maneuver, flew beneath it. Undeterred, Overstreet followed right behind him, scoring several more hits in the process. The German plane crashed and Overstreet escaped the heavy flak around Paris by flying low and full throttle down the Seine until he had cleared the heavily defended city's anti-aircraft batteries.

There is - or was - a P-51C painted as Berlin Express at Duxford, the one in which Nick Grey had the Malcolm hood shatter during his opening fly past at Flying Legends several years ago. I assume there are no plans to recreate Overstreet's escapade!
JAFO liked this
By Hooligan
Now try l'Arc de Triomphe! :D

I gather Alan Pollock of Tower Bridge fame has been a volunteer guide at the Tangmere Museum - wonder if he was one of the several gents I spoke to when I visited some years back... Can't condone it of course, but... :thumleft: :lol:
By TopCat
townleyc wrote:Likewise. These guys must be 'king mad!

Not for long. A lot of them die. The one that flew through that gap crashed and died about a year later.
By TopCat
JAFO wrote:Don't know what the fuss is about.

With the confidence that comes from complete ignorance, I'd be amazed if flying through gaps two wingspans wide is even remotely difficult, at least without crosswind.

If it was, we'd never be able to land on a runway.

Psychologically of course, the fear of missing the gap must take some controlling. A bit like walking along a narrow ridge, which would be perfectly easy if there was nowhere to fall off and die.
JAFO liked this
By Morten
Interesting to see how much the vegetation has grown around it as well. Was easier then than it would be today - even if the armco was taken away again.