Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By exfirepro
@RisePilot

I’m currently with O2, whose coverage in some areas of rural Scotland has significant gaps - which is why I was keen to try an alternative provider. The free ‘3’ 200Mb a month will give me just what I need to do that, whereas a ‘piggyback’ - even if available from O2 - won’t.

@malcolmfrost ,

I have checked, and as expected my iPad mini does give a breakdown of mobile data use by App - and the option to deselect those I don’t want running on Mobile Data.

Nearly got caught out by that with the wife’s phone this month. She hardly ever uses data - even at home, so has been perfectly happy with an account with 500Mb of data per month. This has always been loads, but for some reason she now has an App called ‘Upday’, which reports news headlines and other ‘items of interest’ on her Home Screen. Very informative, but for some reason it suddenly used over 400Mb of mobile data in less than 2 days! Fortunately, I had set a limit warning, though she didn’t know what it meant! Unfortunately, the only way I could find to switch off mobile data in her Galaxy A3 but leave it ‘live’ for her ‘bus tracker’ App is to go into each App individually, then select and disable mobile data for each App in turn. A bit of a pain, but better than potentially being whacked by an unexpected bill. (I have now also set the switch to turn off mobile data as the limit is approached, just in case).

Thanks for prompting this opportunity.

Regards
Peter
malcolmfrost liked this
By Jenny
My sim arrived today and I put it in my rather old iPad mini. I changed the name of the APN to 3internet and after going to three.co.uk/freedata the page I get says:
It's time to get more data and the only options are top-up now or change your price plan

Nothing about registering?????

Any idea where I go from here apart from the obvious - actually put some money on it :(

Jenny
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I received my sim this morning, and got it working on my iPad Pro only on the second attempt.

Having switched off wifi for the first bit, I had to switch it back on to receive the validation email, and then leave it on for the SIM activation to complete. Once that was done I changed the APN back to original and then it all worked fine with wifi switched off to check it.

(The first time I’d switched wifi off again to check it before letting the SIM reg process complete. The process was happy to send me a second activation email)