Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
There are 2 places where I watch things like a hawk, as there is zero room for error or processing:

- Pre-takeoff checks by memory & checklist, breif for takeoff engine and instrument failures, while on roll & climb assume they will happen

- Base & final during circuit in good busy days, everytime I hear someone speaking on RT, I nail my speed & bank while checking gear is down

The rest, I think one has enough time to think ahead and deal with the mess as it happens from their planning, experience or minima: as long as you throw enough fuel, keep wings level on your desired heading & altitude & speed while leaving options open, it will fly just fine...
1) I tell myself that the wing always stalls at the same angle of attack, regardless of airspeed.

I know a pilot who insists airspeed is king, he’s going to stall in one day I’m sure.

2) Once I did a partial startup checklist after having to shutdown at a hold for 15 minutes. Won’t do that again. It went wrong!

Crazy really as I’m usually “Mr slow and thorough” when it comes to checklists. I won’t try to be “clever” again

3) Accept that CFIT is a thing and ensure it won’t happen to me.

I have once had to radio an airfield en route and say I might be landing due to weather. I said to my passenger we’d land and THEN sort out what next when we were down, with the luxury of time to think and being alive.

The weather improved the other side of the ridge and we continued, I had a plan if it didn’t though.

CFIT scares me most, it’s such an avoidable accident.

Every pilot should watch the onboard footage of the fatal bride and groom going into the side of a hill in a helicopter, it’s such a senseless waste. The flight should have been scrubbed, even if they missed their wedding.

I’ve not had to scrub en route yet, and not at a destination, it’s going to be a hard decision when I do, so I’m preparing my mind to be able to make it. It’s really important that I DO scrub, even though it will be a massive PITA, as that one decision will save my life one day.
T6Harvard liked this
There are a few things I do, albeit early in my flying experience, and they are possibly not the most 'positive, optimistic' things! I add my contribution here more for students and low hour pilots like me, who might have less ingrained behaviours and established practice.

1) Don't assume someone else has taken care of something, just because they probably did

First off, I always think of one of those rather naff 'ancient Chinese proverbs' that have stuck with me:

"Even the greatest fool can ask a question that the wisest man cannot answer"

What I mean by this is that I had to very forcibly stop myself assuming that others knew better and that something had been taken care of for me, just because I didn't have any experience of the issue, or knew nothing about it.

To give you an example:

Yesterday was my first flight for 6 months and as a renter I needed a check flight with my FI. On pre-flight, I noticed that that noseleg fork gaiter cover was covered in coolant. I had already checked the coolant levels and they were fine, so I could have assumed that it was a spillage as the aircraft had had some maintenance done on it earlier in the day. Instead, I was right to get my FI to have a look under the hood with me and speak to the engineer (who confirmed they had accidentally spilled a bit).

As a student, or a low-hours PPL, it is so easy to assume that things are fine, or that 'someone else has taken care of the maintenance, so it can't be a problem', but I've had to very deliberately teach myself to question things if they don't look right, even if they are absolutely fine (and it's a good learning experience), rather than shy away from asking the question.

Particularly if you are a renter (but it likely applies universally), if something doesn't look right, speak up. Even if it's perfectly normal, it's still healthy to ask. There would be a lot more people alive today if only they had questioned something.

As an aside, if you're renting, it also shows the school that you care about these things. The aircraft I rented yesterday was an absolutely dog; after the lockdown it was caked in the fuselage with grime and mould, the seat cushion was missing, the panel was filthy, the engine ran quite rough in the cruise (which was a known problem) and the throttle was stiff. Not to the point of it being an issue at all, but highlighting the issues to the school at least lets them remain aware that you're noting these things! I wouldn't want to take my wife up in it, because it wouldn't inspire confidence!

2. Reluctantly, assume the worst

It's quite pessimistic to think this way, but if your life is the one in question - or that of a passenger - I find it healthy to constantly ask: what could go wrong now or next - and what would I do about it?

E.g. engine failure on climbout, trim runaway, fire on startup etc. But not just safety stuff; what would I do if my passenger felt sick? What would I do if I took my dad up and he had a heart attack (not suggesting my flying is sufficient to give him one, but these things happen, right!?)

I enjoy reading AAIB/Chirp etc on the basis of the wide range of scenarios and vicarious experience that it exposes to you. While there is undoubtedly awful tragedy in some of the reports, there is always something you can learn and apply to your own situation. As I read each one, I always ask myself what would I have done and what would I do?

3. When on your own, talk to yourself

Particularly yesterday, solo after a short check ride, I find it really useful to say out loud my checks, or what I'm about to do, or what I'm doing or thinking, even if I'm on my own. It forces you to slow down and actually DO what you're saying, rather than thinking about it and not doing it.

As an example, it is very easy for things like TWASFUN and BUMMMFITCHH to become box-ticking exercises if you say them in your head quickly. But if you say them out loud, it slows me down just enough to compel me to actually check the doors are still latched and my seatbelt is tight, for example.

When lining up, I talk through my takeoff plan and abort decision out loud.

I should add that I don't talk to myself in real life, well, not that often.
Hooligan, cjrpaterson liked this
Seriously, holding the tow bar in one hand.......ensuring the pitot cover is visible to the Nth degree in a pocket..??!!!! How about just one final check of the key things as the very last thing you do before getting in:
No tow bar on wheel
No chocks
No tie downs
No pitot cover

In other words the airframe has nothing around it as the final check before getting in and closing the door

I once forgot the pitot cover and was so annoyed I punished myself by continuing the flight to ensure it focused my mind. An absolute doddle I'd say to judge the speed just by airframe and engine noise. Not for the <100 hour pilots probably
@SteveX

This thread is for those of us who are not perfect yet but strive to become so.

Different strokes for different folks.

But for those already so good that they identify a problem, and press on with it, we clearly have nothing to offer.

Must be from a different school of thought on TEM than where most people learn.
SteveX wrote:
I once forgot the pitot cover and was so annoyed I punished myself by continuing the flight to ensure it focused my mind. An absolute doddle I'd say to judge the speed just by airframe and engine noise. Not for the <100 hour pilots probably

I'm glad you are here to confess a piece of, um, silliness (not the forgetfulness) and not a statistic. I hope you didn't have a passenger with you.
Most of this paragraph worries me:

As an aside, if you're renting, it also shows the school that you care about these things. The aircraft I rented yesterday was an absolutely dog; after the lockdown it was caked in the fuselage with grime and mould, the seat cushion was missing, the panel was filthy, the engine ran quite rough in the cruise (which was a known problem) and the throttle was stiff. Not to the point of it being an issue at all, but highlighting the issues to the school at least lets them remain aware that you're noting these things! I wouldn't want to take my wife up in it, because it wouldn't inspire confidence!

But this bit - the engine ran quite rough in the cruise (which was a known problem) - terrifies me. As others have said, read the imaginary accident report. "Despite the rough running engine........."

My advice to you is change rental place now. If the place values you so little that they present you with an aircraft as described they are not worthy of your custom no matter how cheap they are.
Rob P liked this
Back to the OP.

I try to cover the 'big ticket' items as soon as I approach the aircraft. Fuel, it will really spoil your day if you run out. Oil - ditto

Tie downs (see recent It Happened to Me). Probably actually the first thing to do before you get distracted topping up fuel and oil. Pitot cover and any external control locks on first approach as well.

Controls full and free and correct sense.

To me these should be 'done' first and then checked when/if you use a checklist.
Charles Hunt wrote:Most of this paragraph worries me:

But this bit - the engine ran quite rough in the cruise (which was a known problem) - terrifies me. As others have said, read the imaginary accident report. "Despite the rough running engine........."

I do think when it comes to any mechanical piece of equipment if it takes to telling you all is not well, it probably isnt, and, experience tells me these problems rarely go away of their own accord, and almost inevitably the equipment will shortly give you a sterner warning. :D

The long and short is it doesnt matter especially with your lawn mower, but if the engine is telling you, you will shortly be landing off airport it is probably sensible to heed its advice, unless you feel in need of some practise. :lol:
All fair points above and I certainly might look cavalier. But the point is with my years of experience and 1000 hours I'm certain an ASI reading zero isnt going to kill me. The desintation wasn't a 500m strip where pinning it on 60kts on final was essential.

That's a good point made above and what I do - prepare the thing externally before anything else - cover off, chocks away, tie downs off. Then after moving it that final check of tow bar not on wheel as I get in.
Charles Hunt wrote:Most of this paragraph worries me:

My advice to you is change rental place now. If the place values you so little that they present you with an aircraft as described they are not worthy of your custom no matter how cheap they are.

It wasn't quite that bad. They have had longstanding 'rough running' reports on this particular engine, but have had had it inspected twice and no issues were found. But then again, it validates my point above: at what point do you force the issue, vs be deferential to someone who 'knows better'. The engineers can't find any issues, but yet it still runs rough.

I was (and am) quite careful with it to be extra sure; it wasn't an issue at lower RPM but around 4000 - 4400 it was particularly noticeable; higher was less of an issue (but equally, might be less noticeable due to the noise).

The aircraft was fine and otherwise sound, just looking a bit sorry for itself and presumably a fairly typical club a/c that is now starting to show its age. Above all is it just needed a good clean.

But, back to the OP please :)
One other thing from another thread a while back re. mags. I don't do any mags check or full and free movement until the power and vital checks just before going. This is because in years of flying I've never had to return to parking because of a problem with either of those things. If I did then a whole 10 minutes of my life has been wasted.